• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw 2200 M-Block Amplifier Review

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Starman

My current Outlaws:

8 x 2200 Monoblocks (15 years old)
2 x 2200 Monoblocks (2 days old)
1 x 5000 (1 week old)
2 x 650w 12" subs (10 years old forgot model name)

(Head is a Marantz 8802a)

I Ran a 7.1 setup with the 2200 for 15 years. Tens of thousands of HARD hours mostly to my older large Polk RTI series speakers (Fronts the big RTI12).

In recent years, a Polk LSI center, 4 x Paradigm ADP-590 v5 surrounds.

Now I purchased 2 new 2220's to replace the 2200's for the Paradigm F95's I have coming in a few day.

The old 2200's will go out in my shop in my workout area to power keep powering the Polk rti12's.

One is technically a spare.

The 5000x runs my 4 Paradigm atmos speakers (CI-Elite E-80R).

The point being, I have never had a single issue with the 2200 running them HARD for 15 years, tens of thousands of hours (5 projector bulbs worth of movie time alone without counting music time)

I couldn't be any happier with their products.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

iraweiss

How did you like the 2220 amps? I'm thinking of adding amps for the front L-R channels when I get a new receiver and am torn between the Outlaw 2220 and amp based on Hypex NC502MP.

bogart

Forum Donor
How did you like the 2220 amps? I'm thinking of adding amps for the front L-R channels when I get a new receiver and am torn between the Outlaw 2220 and amp based on Hypex NC502MP.
Speaking as an owner of the 200 amps, I'm very pleased with their durability and reliability. I've no complaints about them aside from a slight transformer hum that disappears when I close the cabinet doors. The Hypex is doubtless a great product - compact, efficient, cool running. But if I already had the Outlaws I wouldn't change them for it.

thepiecesfit

I've tried both and the Hypex 502 is clearly the better amp. Whether you notice the difference might depend on your speakers and how power hungry they are. The one thing you immediately notice is the super low noise floor on the hypex class D amps, you can crank the volume and it is silent. The same cannot be said for the Outlaw.

bogart

Forum Donor
Without having heard the 502, @thepiecesfit is VERY likely right on the noise floor. The noise floor in my room is not low enough for this to be meaningful in my room in practice, but it's definitely not dead quiet. If you're buying new then I would give Mr. @Buckeye Amps or another reputable Hypex dealer your business.

If you've got your eye on pre-owned M2200 at a good price and budget is a factor, I wouldn't hesitate to pick them up pre-owned based on my quality experience.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With 87dB speakers I find the M2200 to be more than quiet enough for practical purposes. I have to put my ear right up to the tweeter to hear any noise. Both of mine have quiet transformers as well, no hum unless I put my ear right up to the amplifier case.

Anyone have the M2220 to report how you like the current model?

iraweiss

I've tried both and the Hypex 502 is clearly the better amp. Whether you notice the difference might depend on your speakers and how power hungry they are. The one thing you immediately notice is the super low noise floor on the hypex class D amps, you can crank the volume and it is silent. The same cannot be said for the Outlaw.
FWIW the sensitivity/efficiency of my Definitive Technology BP2004TL speakers is 92 dB. The speakers have a nominal impedance of 4-8 ohms.

Labjr

Major Contributor
IMO, having an amplifier with the lowest noise floor is over-rated. You don't hear it when music is playing.

dfuller

Major Contributor

Jon.kin96

Just joined this forum for this specific thread because I’m hoping you guys may be able to help out.
I just bought 2 outlaw 2200’s to power my towers in a 7.2 setup. Trying to find a 3rd for my center channel with no luck so far.

my issue is this, though....they don’t seem to be powering my towers very well! Before installing them, I had my front towers at +0.5(L) and -0.5(R) to reach 75db at 0 volume on my receiver. The AVR I’m using is a denon AVR-x3400h. Now, after installing these 2200’s via RCA and on the “music” trigger option, I’ve had to turn my L up to +9 and the right up to +6.5 to reach 75db at 0 volume level. I understand the the sensitivity for AVR internal amps is MUCH higher than on a separate unit, but I still feel as though something isn’t quite right here and I can’t find any pre out settings in the denon. Also, my LCR is 2 RTI70 towers and a csi5 center channel.
Thanks in advance for any help with this...

thepiecesfit

Just joined this forum for this specific thread because I’m hoping you guys may be able to help out.
I just bought 2 outlaw 2200’s to power my towers in a 7.2 setup. Trying to find a 3rd for my center channel with no luck so far.

my issue is this, though....they don’t seem to be powering my towers very well! Before installing them, I had my front towers at +0.5(L) and -0.5(R) to reach 75db at 0 volume on my receiver. The AVR I’m using is a denon AVR-x3400h. Now, after installing these 2200’s via RCA and on the “music” trigger option, I’ve had to turn my L up to +9 and the right up to +6.5 to reach 75db at 0 volume level. I understand the the sensitivity for AVR internal amps is MUCH higher than on a separate unit, but I still feel as though something isn’t quite right here and I can’t find any pre out settings in the denon. Also, my LCR is 2 RTI70 towers and a csi5 center channel.
Thanks in advance for any help with this...

Should only be 1-2dB difference from the Denon accounting for any gain differences. Did you re-run Audyssey? It's generally a good idea to reset and calibrate everything when adding amps.

Jon.kin96

Should only be 1-2dB difference from the Denon accounting for any gain differences. Did you re-run Audyssey? It's generally a good idea to reset and calibrate everything when adding amps.

move just been using REW and an spl meter to do my calibration. I’ll try running audyssey and see what it spits out; I just have very little faith in programs like audyssey especially after all the horror stories I’ve heard. Haha.

thepiecesfit

move just been using REW and an spl meter to do my calibration. I’ll try running audyssey and see what it spits out; I just have very little faith in programs like audyssey especially after all the horror stories I’ve heard. Haha.

Are you setting the appropriate DBFS value for your pink noise? It should be -30 if you are doing speaker calibrations.

Jon.kin96

Are you setting the appropriate DBFS value for your pink noise? It should be -30 if you are doing speaker calibrations.

ive always just used the test tone built into the AVR when you enter the levels menu. Which, as far as I’ve always understood is pink noise. Idk how I could even overlay my own pink noise track on top of that in the levels menu because the AVR turns off any external audio when I enter the levels menu.

tdubz510

If your speakers are 85dB the I am about 100% sure the Outlaw's noise will not be a problem. Of course if your source or preamp are noisy the power amp can't help with that.

This is my first attempt at separates and also with bi-amping a system. I just acquired a Parasound JP2 Halo PreAmp to start.
I have Paradigm 75F floor standers with 92db sensitivity/89 anechoic, 15-220w, and wondering if I will hear that hiss you speak of with the M2220 Outlaws? Other recommendations for a pair of amps up to $3000 are welcome, too. Thanks!

amper42

Major Contributor
This is my first attempt at separates and also with bi-amping a system. I just acquired a Parasound JP2 Halo PreAmp to start.
I have Paradigm 75F floor standers with 92db sensitivity/89 anechoic, 15-220w, and wondering if I will hear that hiss you speak of with the M2220 Outlaws? Other recommendations for a pair of amps up to $3000 are welcome, too. Thanks!

The hiss can easily be from a Denon or Marantz receiver in the chain. It's not always the power amp. As an example,
Setup #1 - pair of Revel F328Be speakers connected to Denon 4700 in preamp mode with a Purifi ext. amp. If you put your ear next to the Be tweeter with no music playing you can hear a soft hiss.
Setup #2 - Simply replace the Denon 4700 with an RME ADI-2 FS and connect the same Purifi amp and F328Be speakers and the soft hiss is absolutely gone.
Basically, the hiss can be from various components in the chain. Even if you are using a Purifi or NC502 amp you may hear some hiss if your are using an AVR.

tdubz510

The hiss can easily be from a Denon or Marantz receiver in the chain. It's not always the power amp. As an example,
Setup #1 - pair of Revel F328Be speakers connected to Denon 4700 in preamp mode with a Purifi ext. amp. If you put your ear next to the Be tweeter with no music playing you can hear a soft hiss.
Setup #2 - Simply replace the Denon 4700 with an RME ADI-2 FS and connect the same Purifi amp and F328Be speakers and the soft hiss is absolutely gone.
Basically, the hiss can be from various components in the chain. Even if you are using a Purifi or NC502 amp you may hear some hiss if your are using an AVR.

Hi Amper42,
1) I wouldn't consider the Parasound JC2 BP an AVR just because it has a bypass would you? I will only be using this for 2 channel for my turntable and CD transport and my 2 Paradigm 75f's.
2) I was more concerned if my 92db sensitive speakers will pick up the hiss or not.. but I'm not sure how the S/N ratio is represented from different speaker to speaker, and if the db sensitivity is the issue.. I'm definitely appreciating some learning in this!

Top Bottom