• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon X3700H and Musical Fidelity M5si HT Bypass/pre out problem

sapkan

Hi, I recently got a Musical Fidelity M5si integrated to drive the fronts in my 5.1 setup. It features an HT bypass function that turns one of the Aux ports into a home theater bypass at the flip of a switch on the back of the amp. However, running the system in this fashion produced very poor sound from the fronts. A lot of noise in the speakers (hum) and crackling and popping sounds as well cutting in and out of the sound. More apparent in the right channel. Tried running different speaker cables, different rca cables, different speakers...same story. When running any other source into any of the other inputs of the M5si (including the HT bypass one when switched to aux) produced beautiful sound with none of the above. I tried running a Chord Mojo in line out mode (3v) into the HT bypass port and this was generally better with the noise from the speakers still there but much less crackling and cutting in and out. I am not entirely convinced what is to blame here. Did I get a faulty M5si unit or is it some general incompatibility between the Denon and the Musical Fidelity (pre out voltage issue???)? I ran into a post from an Australian AV forum where users reported the exact same issue with Denon and Yamaha receivers used with M5si. Maybe there is a faulty batch. Please advice as to the possible cause. I am also looking for a new integrated that wont run in into this issue. I doubt I will take my chances with another Musical Fidelity.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/339602-crackling-sound-via-ht-bypass/

AussieJohnny

Hi. I had exactly the same issue and posted in the thread you provided link to. My repairer has been touch with Musical Fidelity who recommended a modification to the HT bypass all done under warranty. My M5si is now working perfectly. If your repairer needs help ask them to please contact Michael at Watson Electronics [email protected]. All the best with it.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Hi. I had exactly the same issue and posted in the thread you provided link to. My repairer has been touch with Musical Fidelity who recommended a modification to the HT bypass all done under warranty. My M5si is now working perfectly. If your repairer needs help ask them to please contact Michael at Watson Electronics [email protected]. All the best with it.
Welcome Aboard @AussieJohnny.

Top Bottom