• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 review: superb budget audio streamer (video)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, that is my dream, to use native software with tidal, qobuz, in future hifi spotify etc., have great sound quality and iPad navigation. But how to do it? What gear to buy? Could you share some idea, please?
For Quobuz and Tidal, Roon is superb since it has full integration for both (and your stored library). You need to get one computer or NAS server to be the "core" where your licensed Roon copy runs. Then you can install Roon on all other devices from computers to tablets and phone and decide what plays where (you can have multiple DACs and streamers). Then get this box, hook it up to your stereo and you are good to go.

You can start with using an existing computer for Roon and later invest in a dedicated machine or NAS for it.

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For Quobuz and Tidal, Roon is superb since it has full integration for both (and your stored library). You need to get one computer or NAS server to be the "core" where your licensed Roon copy runs. Then you can install Roon on all other devices from computers to tablets and phone and decide what plays where (you can have multiple DACs and streamers). Then get this box, hook it up to your stereo and you are good to go.

You can start with using an existing computer for Roon and later invest in a dedicated machine or NAS for it.
So I connect a compuret (let say Intel NUC) to my router, NAS server to router as well. And then topping d70s DAC to RPi-4 via UpTone USPCB A>B Adapter (no USB cable idea), and connect RPi-4 to router as well, right? And that should configure with my ipad and have little noise (under -120dB) on my DAC from USB input? Please correct if I made a mistake somewhere...

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You don't need the Uptone. But generally, yes.
You know, Uptone stub instead of "hi-end" USB cable... You measured it, remember? Thank you very much.

TNT

Why didnt you ground the device?

//

gzeel

Great review.
I was just doubting to buy an Allo DigiOne and use my Arcam SA20's built-in DAC or a Raspberry Pi 4 with a Topping D10s / E30 DAC.
Now I have an extra choice again :D

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can the Roon volume control this streamer's volume? (with Diet Pi?) I'm guessing no.

One of my streamers is the PecanPi DAC, which has a more industrial look than this, but a much bigger screen and balanced outs. Roon volume works on it (in Roon Endpoint configuration). So screen and balanced out (and some other things that perhaps matter less) for quite a bit more.

https://orchardaudio.com/shop/ols/products/pecanpi-streamer-ultra

It’s 7.5"W X 4"H X 4.75"D

Last edited:

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review Amir!

I run a Rpi 3B+/Allo Digione coaxial out to a Topping D30>Sony STRDH590 SA-CD analog input>RSL CG23's/DUAL BIC VENTURI 1020's and I think the sound is really amazing.

After this review considering this as the DAC (with bonus streamer!)>Schiit Sys>THX 789>Dan Clark Aeon RT setup I'm about to put together.

bt3

When I was around ten years younger, fiddled around with every type of network music device I could get my hands on. I've no compunction for it anymore. Each day now more precious. More time for the garden. More time walking my dogs watching the rustle of the wind through the trees. Not that I don't follow new develops in audio technology. I do. I'm here looking now - right? My PC + JRiver + affordable Topping DAC + my music library on affordable USB disc drives + sensible price headphones. Back to my laying hens and tomato vines. May you find your peace of mind too.

johan

Audio Company
Boss2 IS a DAC. No need for external DAC

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
If you just want a network streamer to feed to your DAC via coax or BNC, the digione player is what you want. https://allo.com/sparky/digione-player.html
Or you could buy an RPi 4 and Argon One case, and add the OS of choice. I use Volumio. The Argon moves all the ports to the back and the result looks so much better than the DIY look of most cases. Its footprint is much bigger that the SBC itself but still compact (similar to the Pro-Ject S2 series).<https://www.argon40.com/argon-one-v-2-case-for-raspberry-pi-5.html> You also get a boot/shutdown/restart button.

djkrimsom

Or you could buy an RPi 4 and Argon One case, and add the OS of choice. I use Volumio. The Argon moves all the ports to the back and the result looks so much better than the DIY look of most cases. Its footprint is much bigger than the SBC itself but still compact (similar to the Pro-Ject S2 series).<https://www.argon40.com/argon-one-v-2-case-for-raspberry-pi-5.html> You also get a boot/shutdown/restart button.

I did consider what you are suggesting but then read about RPI's electrically noisy USB. Is that not a thing?

BTW: Argon case looks good but I prefer the look of the DeskPI Case https://deskpi.com/

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
USB noise is audio voodoo, a USB port is a USB port. it's up to the DAC to filter and deal with it properly.

the USBridge has no wifi and no bluetooth. which pretty much makes it the worst streamer on the face of the planet.

I don't know about "the worst...on the face of the planet", just less versatile. The fidelity is probably excellent considering Allo's product history and careful execution of their products. Lack of Wifi and BT are a non-issue if one doesn't plan on using them. In fact, better to leave them out if not needed.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I did consider what you are suggesting but then read about RPI's electrically noisy USB. Is that not a thing?

BTW: Argon case looks good but I prefer the look of the DeskPI Case https://deskpi.com/
AFAIK the RPi USB's bad rep is limited to the older models and doesn't apply to the 4. In any case, I've used both and heard no problems with either with a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital.

The DeskPi looks great, but is over 2x the price (still great value though).

Top Bottom