• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Gustard U16 pass-thru multi-channel audio (AC3/DTS)?

Krazywaffle

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From what I read, the Gustard U16 can not work with surround sound (more then 2-channels) audio.
So the Gustard seems to be basically
Input, 2-channels (2.0) of PCM (un-compressed) digital audio.
Output, 2-channels (2.0) of (PCM?) analog audio.
Outputs include S/PDIF (optical/coaxial)
One balanced analog output.
Nothing on Apos website suggesting any surround sound function.
But something like headphone surround sound, could be pre-procced, before the signal is sent to the Gustard.

OP
Krazywaffle

Krazywaffle

Thanks for the informative reply.

My understanding is that Gustard U16 is a digital interface, not a DAC, and thus just converts digital signal from one format (USB) to another (SPDIF). This is why I thought the U16 might passthrough multichannel audio signals like connecting a source directly to surround sound DAC, processor, or integrated amp via Toslink/coaxial?

It seems the very cheap Phiree U2S digital interface ($30) can pass multichannel audio from USB to SPDIF so I'd think that a much more expensive interface like U16 could as well?

However, the Topping D10s and many other "HiFi USB to SPDIF converters" seem to only deal in 2 channel audio. Perhaps passing multichannel audio onto a surround DAC/processor makes the internal electronics more complicated somehow? Or prevents the 2 channel audio signal from being as HiFi as possible?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It seems the very cheap Phiree U2S digital interface ($30) can pass multichannel audio from USB to SPDIF.........................
But it can't.
First, because it has only one S/PDIF output and it is impossible to send PCM/DSD multichannel via one S/PDIF.
Second, because user reports "only 2-channel formats up to 48k, no multichannel."

twsecrest

twsecrest

Thanks for the informative reply.
My understanding is that Gustard U16 is a digital interface, not a DAC, and thus just converts digital signal from one format (USB) to another (SPDIF). This is why I thought the U16 might passthrough multichannel audio signals like connecting a source directly to surround sound DAC, processor, or integrated amp via Toslink/coaxial?
It seems the very cheap Phiree U2S digital interface ($30) can pass multichannel audio from USB to SPDIF so I'd think that a much more expensive interface like U16 could as well?
However, the Topping D10s and many other "HiFi USB to SPDIF converters" seem to only deal in 2 channel audio. Perhaps passing multichannel audio onto a surround DAC/processor makes the internal electronics more complicated somehow? Or prevents the 2 channel audio signal from being as HiFi as possible?
The Phiree U2S is a basic converter, USB to S/PDIF (optical/coaxial)
2.0 digital channels in, 2.0 digital channels out, does nothing more.

OP
Krazywaffle

Krazywaffle

End result is to obtain the same digital signal transfer via USB that I can (and currently do) obtain via optical Toslink connection (e.g., both 2 channel and 5 channel) because of the advantages associated with transferring digital data via asynchronous USB (jitter reduction via re-clocking).

Phiree US2 is cheap but this website, for example, claims that it can pass stereo, AC3, and DTS signals from USB input to SPDIF output:

"The Phiree U2SX is a simple, efficient and compact USB to SPDIF and Optical to USB interface. It is based on a Bravo SA9023 chip, supporting sampling rates up to 24bit 96kHz. It also allows AC3 and DTS ES signals to pass through (to another multi-channel decoder)."

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/digi...terface-sa9023-24bit-96khz-silver-p-5850.html

So if this cheap-o USB-to-SPDIF converter can pass multi-channel data, why can't more expensive units (e.g., Gustard U16)?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
So if this cheap-o USB-to-SPDIF converter can pass multi-channel data, why can't more expensive units (e.g., Gustard U16)?
Possibly because those "more expensive units" are aimed at users who do not need/want lossy compressed multichannel formats such as AC3, dts, DolbyDigital, etc.

Top Bottom