• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva xmc-2 or denon 3700h

Jayjustgames

I can get the emotiva processor for $2300. The denon 3700 for $999. I am running a 5.2.4 setup and won't be adding additional speakers due to space limitations. Which would you go for???? Is the sound from emotiva that much better than denon ????? Movies and gaming only

Last edited:

Golfx

Forum Donor
I’ve owned both. Denon tested well on this website as did the emotiva. So for $1300 what else would you buy if you got the Denon?

OP
J

Jayjustgames

I’ve owned both. Denon tested well on this website as did the emotiva. So for $1300 what else would you buy if you got the Denon?
Is the emotiva that much better ??? I wouldn't do anything else with the 1300 anytime soon.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Denon. The XMC-2 is overkill, and note you'll have to get amplifiers if you do not already have them. I've had enough fun and games dealing with Emotiva's processor bugs, though by now the XMC-2 should be in reasonable shape. Check out the threads on Emotiva's forum before purchase. I do like Dirac Live better than Audyssey, however.

OP
J

Jayjustgames

Denon. The XMC-2 is overkill, and note you'll have to get amplifiers if you do not already have them. I've had enough fun and games dealing with Emotiva's processor bugs, though by now the XMC-2 should be in reasonable shape. Check out the threads on Emotiva's forum before purchase. I do like Dirac Live better than Audyssey, however.
Thanks! I have a monolith amp 5 channel and emotiva amp for atmos speakers. I'm leaning more towards denon tryin to justify the price difference is hard lol. Coming from a onkyo rz 830

Golfx

Forum Donor
i bought both, kept the xmc and returned the Denon.
Not sure in your case the additional cost has much, if any, benefit
Audyssey’s use with its accompanying app tested well by Amir.

Jbrunwa

I have both, and prefer the XMC-2 as Dirac gives much better flexibility in room correction for my environment and speakers.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have both, and prefer the XMC-2 as Dirac gives much better flexibility in room correction for my environment and speakers.

Curious, how does Dirac do with multiple subs for you?

Macfox

Have you tried the app and what's the upper frequency that you correct for? Dirac seems to mostly be better at the higher frequencies, but most people only correct for the lower ones. Audyssey seems to do pretty well for that.

Jbrunwa

Have you tried the app and what's the upper frequency that you correct for? Dirac seems to mostly be better at the higher frequencies, but most people only correct for the lower ones. Audyssey seems to do pretty well for that.
I tried the app but need a wide correction window currently. It may be my particular situation and speakers, as they have some HF roll of that benefit from a boost. I have new speakers on order so when I receive them I plan to try again And probably will be able to reduce the correction window to below 400 Hz or so.

Jbrunwa

Curious, how does Dirac do with multiple subs for you?
The XMC-2 does support multiple subs, but I only have one. so I don’t know the level of Dirac support there. I believe that Emotiva does not yet support the Dirac Live Bass Control option, but you would have to check with Emotiva to see how multiple subs are supported in theit Dirac Live implementation.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My experience with Emotiva XMC-1 Refurbished

First unit makes my drivers hit xmax (loud pop) while uploading Dirac filters. Issue is intermittent. I sent in for warranty and asked for replacement.

Second unit has same issue and 6 dB variation between left and right XLR output.

Never had any issues with NAD, Denon, or miniDSP.

Jbrunwa

sorry you had problems with refurbished. XMC-1 came with a special Dirac limited edition implementation while XMC-2 and RMC have different hardware and code base with standard Dirac Live

AlexanderM

Have to say the Monolith 11 channel amp is $2500, the Emotiva is $2000, that's not a huge difference, also the Monolith Processors are comparable price wise, so if they are that much better I think I would find the money, if it were me. Just an observation.

Just noticed that the processor didn't fair so well with Amir.

Last edited:
Top Bottom