• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LOTR/Hobbit 4k release

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Of course your experience will depend on your setup but on a 70 inch OLED and UB9000 player the new release is simply stunning. I had expected great image quality and it is truly amazing, much better than 1080 upsampled. The overall color palette of the movies is more consistent and you will see things you hadn't seen before. What I didn't think about is that it's been about 20 yrs since the LOTR movies debuted and sound tech has improved tremendously. I immediately noticed the improved sound and much greater use of surround channels (my setup is 7.2). It's hard for some to justify purchase of a DVD player in the era of streaming but for me this was a no brainer. In fact I purchased the Panasonic mostly for the purpose of watching this new release.

Daaadou

I watched it on my set up which consists also in a 77inch LG CX Oled display and an UB9000. I am only using a stereo set up.
We watched the fellowship of the ring yesterday, I totally prefer this new colorimetry!
Definition and grain is not what you could get from some other production but it is correct. They used some DNR. Still, very enjoyable, best copies available to this day I'd say.
Soundtrack is really good indeed, voices and music are perfectly mixed which is not always the case...

OP
E

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As I watched more of the movies I noticed that if I skipped forward, using either fast forward or chapter skip, I would lose the audio. I tried several disks, all had the problem. My player (UB9000) worked fine with other disks. Amazon was great and shipped out new disks that work normally. Hopefully a rare problem.

I have a professionally calibrated 77 inch OLED with a Panasonic UB9000. The use of DNR scrubbing was obvious in some scenes and edge enhancement was used. Can see this hard edge and lines along with ringing, this is LOTR.

The Hobbit looked poor IMO, again obvious edge enhancement was used, and it didn't look like a 4KDI to me. I don't think there were any 4K cameras back then which possibly means they upscaled it and called in 4K. In any case, it looks poor and does nothing to show off great 4K video.

The audio on both movies is excellent, it's video I have issues with.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the release has good and bad things, as described below.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

THW

Forum Donor
I loved it all! So I’m a geek. I grew up reading these books, and well it took me places I want to see in Film. :cool:

i like the films quite a lot but imho they kind of are their own thing that are sort-of-kind-of separate from the books. and yes i have watched the extended editions.

some of the changes are understandable, yet others make no sense to me.

why the change to Faramir's character?? how does Gandalf, a goddamn Maia and the bearer of Narya, get overpowered by the Witch-king??

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
I didn't buy it again cos of these re-recording mixers doing remix Near Field mixes which I certianly do not appreciate. So the DVD's not watched them now in 6 or more years so a 4k would be waste of money for a Near Field atmos rubbish upmix.

raif71

Major Contributor
I really was into movies when the technology was vcd/dvd and even more so when it was bluray. Got myself a full-hd tv and a full-hd media player to watch movies. However after 4k came out and they stopped the 3d movie tv sets, I was kinda disappointed and left the scene and got into music listening as a change of hobby. My full-hd tv is now close to 10 years and it is still great. I guess if the tv died, then perhaps I will get on the 4k bandwagon but by then maybe 8k will be the mainstream. Who knows?

Top Bottom