• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choices of eq+cossover device that is as good as direct DAC to amp?

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's the same architecture. The SHD does DIRAC and the miniSHARC does IIR and FIR crossovers. The combinations of boards I recommended will yield the same performance. Good luck with your project. You seem difficult to please.
Don't know if abdo123 has a project, but appreciate your feedbacks.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I don't think it's worse than minidsp because its purely analogue and much simpler (no adc) but some measurements here:

https://josephcrowe.com/blogs/news/xkitz-2-way-active-crossover
Thanks! I did read the article earlier today. However, it seems the subjective comparison is with minidsp 2x4 and not minidsp HD 2x4.

Also, the article doesn't really do any relevant measurements that I am interested in. I am looking for something like Amir's, not some rough measurements of the drivers response.....

I still appreciate the link. I may still give it a try as it is not that expensive. Thanks!

raindance

Major Contributor
Get a preamp that offers high pass filtering for the mains, like a Parasound perhaps, and then use the mini DSP in the subwoofer chain only. That'll get rid of the overlap and the sound degradation (which I agree with, the mini DSP units sound like sh*t). You'll have to deal with some delay in the sub as a result though, so may need to move it closer to you.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Get a preamp that offers high pass filtering for the mains, like a Parasound perhaps, and then use the mini DSP in the subwoofer chain only. That'll get rid of the overlap and the sound degradation (which I agree with, the mini DSP units sound like sh*t). You'll have to deal with some delay in the sub as a result though, so may need to move it closer to you.
I forgot about Parasound preamp. Thx for the reminder and tips!

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
BTW the MiniDSP devices/plug-ins have 96kHz internal sample rate and at least with the 2X4HD it seems the internal sample rate conversion is not great (post #40). So if you want to optimise the SQ of your 2X4HD sofware resample everything to 96kHz upstream and use digital in.

Should be easy to do in Volumio if you end up getting the SHD Studio. I'm using an RPi4 as a streamer running Moode, also has resampling. Roon & JRiver can of course do this as well.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
BTW the MiniDSP devices/plug-ins have 96kHz internal sample rate and at least with the 2X4HD it seems the internal sample rate conversion is not great (post #40). So if you want to optimise the SQ of your 2X4HD sofware resample everything to 96kHz upstream and use digital in.

Should be easy to do in Volumio if you end up getting the SHD Studio. I'm using an RPi4 as a streamer running Moode, also has resampling. Roon & JRiver can of course do this as well.
I see. Thanks!

I was using analog in only.

In the same thread, this was mentioned:

If you are using the analogue input its not an issue, but if using usb or optical get your media playing software to updample to 96kHz prior to sending it to the miniDSP. J River and Roon can do this.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about Hypex fusion? You can sell your amp and have one integrated package that offers excellent performance, both amp as well as DAC wise.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
What about Hypex fusion? You can sell your amp and have one integrated package that offers excellent performance, both amp as well as DAC wise.
That seems like cool stuff! Will look into it. Thx!

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
You need to test it without any correction of course.
Yes, I also listened with minidsp HD without any correction too. I mentioned that in my other thread for vocal. Subjectively, still a little less clean than going direct from Gustard x16 to amp.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I see. Thanks!

I was using analog in only.

In the same thread, this was mentioned:

If you are using the analogue input its not an issue, but if using usb or optical get your media playing software to updample to 96kHz prior to sending it to the miniDSP. J River and Roon can do this.
Yes, but then you have the unnecessary A-D conversion. That's why Amir recommended using USB.
Screenshot_20210505_094255.jpg
I know you use analog currently, just something to consider if you're thinking about the SHD Studio & NanoDigi.

Totally forgot about Hypex FusionAmp, I've always thought of them as 'mount on DIY speakers' kind of thing, a great option for sure.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Yes, but then you have the unnecessary A-D conversion. That's why Amir recommended using USB.
View attachment 128003
I know you use analog currently, just something to consider if you're thinking about the SHD Studio & NanoDigi.

Totally forgot about Hypex FusionAmp, I've always thought of them as 'mount on DIY speakers' kind of thing, a great option for sure.
Unfortunately my node2i won't do USB out.....So that path is not available....

I did a quick online search and it seems Hyped fusion amp only available from madisound. I wonder about the warranty and return policies....

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No. All subjective.....All I did was listened at many different sound levels to check for harshness.
The problem is that it is not reliable at all.
You need to have someone switch between devices for you and do a proper blind test.
I know it's hard to believe, but sighted tests have fooled many people already.

Top Bottom