• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choices of eq+cossover device that is as good as direct DAC to amp?

aschen

Minidsp nanodigi will work for you in the digital domain prior to your dac. However to use as a 2 way crossover you will need more dac channels. I am not sure if there is a performance limitation when compared to an shd studio.

mac

Forum Donor
As you probably know, the SHD basically uses a miniSHARC and AK4490EQ based DACs with Rpi (for Volumio streaming). A stand-alone miniSHARC with external (equivalent) DAC(s) fed by a RPi should sound the same, and provide up to 4+ way crossover capabilities. No DIRAC though, and no analog inputs.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Minidsp nanodigi will work for you in the digital domain prior to your dac. However to use as a 2 way crossover you will need more dac channels. I am not sure if there is a performance limitation when compared to an shd studio.
Thanks! It should work between my node2i and the DAC. The only issue is that I like the DAC BT capability too. Putting it before the DAC can't help in that case.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
As you probably know, the SHD basically uses a miniSHARC and AK4490EQ based DACs with Rpi (for Volumio streaming). A stand-alone miniSHARC with external (equivalent) DAC(s) fed by a RPi should sound the same, and provide up to 4+ way crossover capabilities. No DIRAC though, and no analog inputs.
Thanks! I thought about that. But when I use BT streaming direct to DAC, it won't work anymore.....

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

the MiniSHARC's processing unit has a clock of 333 MHz, while the SHD is 450 MHz. your information is incorrect.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Your DAC would be useless if you do another analog to digital conversion
Yeah, I really want to avoid going through another ADC. I wonder if there is any active crossover with similar transparency as the gustard x16.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If Dirac didn't make my life so much easier I would probably go with a raspberry Pi with a HiFiBerry Digi+ I/O to add digital inputs, and then connect my DAC to the Pi via USB or via the SPDIF outputs of the board.

1620162038687.png

i would route the Digi+ Inputs to USB DAC/SPDIF outputs via CamilaDSP on Moode Audio OS.

that's the 'cheap' way of doing it. the expensive lazy way is to get an Intel NUC and pay for a studio license of DIRAC to do everything.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
The amp sinad at 1 watt is about 80db so
Yeah, I really want to avoid going through another ADC. I wonder if there is any active crossover with similar transparency as the gustard x16.
If i am right your amp has a sinad of 80db at 1 watt so an active crossover with sinad above 90db should be ok.Bluetooth has low sinad try to avoid it.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw the Gustard has a 4 channel DAC chip inside, so both XLR outputs and RCA outputs are outputting at the same time If i recall correctly.

You can take the XLR outputs and use them for mains and the RCA outputs for subwoofers (or to the MiniDSP for bass management only).

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
The amp sinad at 1 watt is about 80db so

If i am right your amp has a sinad of 80db at 1 watt so an active crossover with sinad above 90db should be ok.Bluetooth has low sinad try to avoid it.
Thanks. The odd thing is that minidsp hd2x4 already is around 90db. But still not as clean as compared to direct DAC to amp.

The DAC support LDAC and I thought it should be pretty good. Anyway, maybe I will just give up on BT and get SHD Studio to place before my dac.

If getting SHD Studio, I can use gustard x16 for the speaker and Topping E30 for the sub.....

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Node2i -> Nanodigi -> Gustard & 2x4HD. Use Gustard for your mains and the 2X4HD for subs?

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Btw the Gustard has a 4 channel DAC chip inside, so both XLR outputs and RCA outputs are outputting at the same time If i recall correctly.

You can take the XLR outputs and use them for mains and the RCA outputs for subwoofers (or to the MiniDSP for bass management only).
Thanks. I am doing exactly this way now. The only difference is my sub itself can do room eq, thus no need to use minidsp.

The main issue I want to solve is the 80hz room null. It requires crossover for the mains to properly match the mains to the sub. Else certain notes below 80hz would get bloated.

I think I may have to forgo the BT in my current gustard x16 and go with SHD Studio.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! It looks like the solution is still before the DAC. It won't help when doing direct BT stream to the DAC.

Hmm, maybe this is not really a blocker if I could simply use some sort of external BT receiver.
I can BT stream, spotify connect, airplay, ect to the WXC-50 which I use for volume control.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Node2i -> Nanodigi -> Gustard & 2x4HD. Use Gustard for your mains and the 2X4HD for subs?
Yup, I am thinking I will simply forget about the BT of my gustard x16 and use either nanodigi or SHD Studio. Thx!

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I can BT stream, spotify connect, airplay, ect to the WXC-50 which I use for volume control.
Hmm, my node2i can do BT, but not good quality. My gustard x16 supports LDAC and works great with my smart phone. Can your WXC work with LDAC? Thx

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hmm, unfortunately, I don't like this policy for minidsp:

Terms of Sales on the miniDSP WebStore

- All sales are final, No exchange, No refund, No return policy. For a damaged item, please request a Return Authorization from our customer service staff using the contact us form.

I am spoiled by Amazon and Costco....

mac

Forum Donor
the MiniSHARC's processing unit has a clock of 333 MHz, while the SHD is 450 MHz. your information is incorrect.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's the same architecture. The SHD does DIRAC and the miniSHARC does IIR and FIR crossovers. The combinations of boards I recommended will yield the same performance. Good luck with your project. You seem difficult to please.

Top Bottom