• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA 9038D Review (portable DAC & Amp)

saniko

Wow - so there is no separate mode or preset to worry about? Should I care about the existing amp stage on the 9038D?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Wow - so there is no separate mode or preset to worry about? Should I care about the existing amp stage on the 9038D?
Actually, there is a mode.
The DAC chip inside the 9038D can generate harmonic distortion and, if done correctly, this distortion generator can be used to cancel out the DAC's natural distortion.

IVX uses this feature to make the 9038D even more transparent.
Out of the box, it's configured for optimal results under 32 load, but you can use the App to load one of the DAC presets, which will configure the distortion compensation for optimal results under no load (ext. Amp input).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The DAC chip inside the 9038D can generate harmonic distortion and, if done correctly, this distortion generator can be used to cancel out the DAC's natural distortion.

Out of the box, it's configured for optimal results under 32 load, but you can use the App to load one of the DAC presets, which will configure the distortion compensation for optimal results under no load (ext. Amp input).
My bad @saniko , I'd not looked fully at the tonnes of presets under the "official" tab in the partner app. There are lots marked as "dac" in there. Good spot @staticV3

saniko

So just purchased the app. Here are the DAC presets:
- 12MHz Appo DAC
- 12MHz LinPhSlow DAC
- 25MHz Appo DAC
- 25MHz LinPhSlow DAC

What is the one to pick? what's the difference between 12MHz and 25MHz? What is Appo vs LinPhSlow (assuming linear phase slow rolloff).

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Are these in the app?

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
- 12MHz Appo DAC
- 12MHz LinPhSlow DAC
- 25MHz Appo DAC
- 25MHz LinPhSlow DAC

What is the one to pick? what's the difference between 12MHz and 25MHz? What is Appo vs LinPhSlow (assuming linear phase slow rolloff).
Welcome Aboard @saniko.

saniko

LOL - with experimentation, I like the sound of the 25MHz LinPhSlow DAC. Perhaps experimentation is the secret of the audiosciencereview folks?

staticV3

Master Contributor
- 12MHz Appo DAC
- 12MHz LinPhSlow DAC
- 25MHz Appo DAC
- 25MHz LinPhSlow DAC

What you're looking at are different Nyquist/Oversampling/reconstruction filters as well as different MCLKs. The harmonic distortion settings should be the same for all of them.

Higher MCLK will result in less noise, but more high-order harmonics (red: 12MHz, blue: 25MHz)
2020-10-21_23-50-36.png

Nyquist filters are purely down to personal preference really. I like lin slow most, but the difference between filters is miniscule.

Btw, you can load any DAC preset to get the distortion setting and then configure filter and MCLK in their respective menu. No need to do that by changing presets.

Lastly, if you're using the 9038D as a DAC, then I recommend you turn off Standby and Mute in the settings. You'll get less pop noises that way.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there any prospect for an iOS version of “the app” becoming available?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What you're looking at are different Nyquist/Oversampling/reconstruction filters as well as different MCLKs. The harmonic distortion settings should be the same for all of them.

Higher MCLK will result in less noise, but more high-order harmonics (red: 12MHz, blue: 25MHz)
View attachment 127920

Nyquist filters are purely down to personal preference really. I like lin slow most, but the difference between filters is miniscule.

Btw, you can load any DAC preset to get the distortion setting and then configure filter and MCLK in their respective menu. No need to do that by changing presets.

Lastly, if you're using the 9038D as a DAC, then I recommend you turn off Standby and Mute in the settings. You'll get less pop noises that way.
Ah. I was told to turn those on when using as a DAC. Is there a setting in the "official" category that's preferable when using as a DAC?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there any prospect for an iOS version of “the app” becoming available?
no. Apple's USB policies make it impossible to do anything more complex than transfer photos or stream music to a USB accessory, unless the manufacturer is willing to pay Apple for licensing and to put an Apple ID chip inside their hardware.
IVX doesn't want to pay Apple and doesn't want their chips inside his product, so, no Tweak9038 for iOS.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ah. I was told to turn those on when using as a DAC. Is there a setting in the "official" category that's preferable when using as a DAC?
any one of the official DAC presets is preferable when using the 9038D as a DAC.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
no. Apple's USB policies make it impossible to do anything more complex than transfer photos or stream music to a USB accessory, unless the manufacturer is willing to pay Apple for licensing and to put an Apple ID chip inside their hardware.
IVX doesn't want to pay Apple and doesn't want their chips inside his product, so, no Tweak9038 for iOS.

That’s too bad, but I respect your decision.

DavidS

Do the tweak settings stick through moving the dongle to a different source, or do you have to reset each time you connect? Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do the tweak settings stick through moving the dongle to a different source, or do you have to reset each time you connect? Thanks
All settings are saved in non-volatile storage on the 9038D itself. They don't reset and they stay active regardless of what USB host device you use.

sistoz

Hi everyone!
Is this dac overkill for my iem (kz zax: impedance 24 ohm, sensitivity 113 db)?
It will be used on a noisy old "gaming" laptop, so I hope to have no hiss problems...
Thank you for help!

Top Bottom