• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple iOS 14.6 (beta) Hints at Dolby Audio, Dolby Atmos

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Atmos on Apple Music would get me to switch from Tidal, if the library grew as it should with Apple's resources. Tidal's hasn't grown much or enough since they introduced Atmos IMO.

I would also like to see Apple leverage their existing "spatial audio" technology in AirPods Pro etc. for 2 channel recordings. Right now "Spatial Audio" seems like a worthless appendage with a cool name. If they did, even if only tied to Apple Music, that would be a conversion-worthy thing too for me.

OP
DavidMcRoy

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m interested in Dolby Atmos, admittedly very much a niche format, because of my deep involvement (pun intended) in immersive audio. Hi-Res and lossless would represent even more value for most.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi-Res and lossless would represent even more value for most.

Why? Is there any actual evidence of sonic difference between whatever Apple Music currently uses and lossless, let alone "hi-res?" Those terms make for good marketing copy and make audiophiles puff out their chests, but for streaming music it strikes me as at least 95% bullshit.

OP
DavidMcRoy

DavidMcRoy

Why? Is there any actual evidence of sonic difference between whatever Apple Music currently uses and lossless, let alone "hi-res?" Those terms make for good marketing copy and make audiophiles puff out their chests, but for streaming music it strikes me as at least 95% bullshit.

That’s up to the listener, but I personally hear more high frequency detail from lossless files vs. Apple’s compressed MP3 files, although as such, Apple does a very nice job with what they’ve decided to settle for. Just because you don’t experience a phenomenon that others claim to or because you don’t give said difference any personal value doesn’t make it bullshit. It just means it doesn’t affect you, so why argue about it?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s up to the listener,

Not really. “The listener” is notoriously susceptible to bullshit. What would be actually interesting and actually relevant to the bullshit/not bullshit inquiry is whether and under what circumstances audible differences exist between Apple’s current AAC variant (not “MP3” as you oddly claim) and lossless. What any one individual personally claims to hear in the absence of any controls - who cares?

By contrast, the difference between an immersive mix (played on an appropriate system) and a stereo mix - indisputably not bullshit.

OP
DavidMcRoy

DavidMcRoy

[QUOTE="j...Apple’s current AAC variant (not “MP3” as you oddly claim) and lossless.”
.[/QUOTE]

Well, you’re right about that, but AAC is still lossy.

”What any one individual personally claims to hear in the absence of any controls - who cares?”

That doesn’t concern you nor me.

”By contrast, the difference between an immersive mix (played on an appropriate system) and a stereo mix - indisputably not bullshit.”

That’s a matter of personal preferences. I doubt you’d argue that there aren’t more people concerned with lossy ausiio than there are who crave more immersive audio, your or my priorities notwithstanding. I’m personally more concerned with the quality of the original master than any of the above, but that’s just me.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[That’s a matter of personal preferences.

No, it’s simply not. Please try to grasp that difference and preference are concepts that are worlds apart, though in audio often preferences claimed to be based on sound are bullshit because there’s actually no difference

Anyone with some hearing ability can indisputably hear the difference between a crank screaming into a bullhorn and a symphony orchestra playing Mozart.

Conceivably, any given individual could prefer either sound.

By contrast, someone who waxes poetic over the alleged sonic superiority of the red power cord over the black power cord is fairly clearly addled by bullshit, because there is no sonic difference to hear.

Last edited:
OP
DavidMcRoy

DavidMcRoy

No, it’s simply not. Please try to grasp that difference and preference are concepts that worlds apart, though in audio often preferences claimed to be based on sound are bullshit because there’s actually no difference

Anyone with some hearing ability can indisputably hear the difference between a crank screaming into a bullhorn and a symphony orchestra playing Mozart.

Conceivably, any given individual could prefer either sound.

By contrast, someone who waxes poetic over the alleged sonic superiority of the red power cord over the black power cord is fairly clearly addled by bullshit, because there is no sonic difference to hear.

Please try to grasp that ”differences” and “preferences” may coexist as concepts. Look: I’m not wasting my time fighting with you. If you’re looking for a listening test study on AAC vs. FLAC, here’s one:

https://cdvsmp3.wordpress.com/cd-vs-itunes-plus-blind-test-results/

Last edited:
Top Bottom