• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pics of mega-expensive equipment in horrible rooms

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now we know where the money went on PM Boris Johnson's flat. But not where it came from.
If you've now seen the taste free zone of said flat you will look at water stained horror above in a new light. The tunnocks tea cake wrapper inspired room is a special form of horror, and it cost how much?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Actually, no. I'm using the 212RTs right now in a 8ft wide office at 7ft listening distance and it's the best imaging I've ever heard. Much better imaging than I got with the 8030c before them, and much much better than the Revel M105 I used before that. Also better imaging than my 8351b speakers in the main room(where the JTRs used to be). Because of the coaxial mid/tweeter and the symmetrical woofers, the speakers act as a true point source that can be listened to at quite close distances. The super narrow dispersion pattern also works really well for super crisp imaging. Imaging is actually their greatest strength, and I've never heard a hifi speaker or monitor that comes close. Where they fall apart(their biggest weakness) is their lack of envelopment. You don't get that euphoric sense of spaciousness that you get with the Genelec and Revel speakers. The JTRs also have a tiny sweetspot.
My standard test for speaker imaging is to play a true binaural recording made with a dummy head. If a pair of speakers can match the all around the listener directionality as the same recording played via headphones, then the speakers image well, and there is relatively little of the room contributing to the image. Horns tend to be better at this than cone 'n dome speakers because of the higher ratio of direct to room sound, especially if toed in. Dipoles tend to be predominately 'envelopment' from the room; I've never heard a dipole which can image to the side, above or behind the listener and they have a hard time with imaging outside the left / right boundaries of the speakers.

If speakers of any type are up against the front wall verses relatively far out into the room, it is very difficult to achieve good depth imaging behind the plane of the speakers, and envelopment. Horns out into the room (about 1/4 to 1/3 the room depth out from the front wall) can have the best of both worlds if done right.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The person with the various systems of of them with the red things, gets the gold!

The JTR and the Krell and the Legacy and the Stealth cables and the cables elevators and the ... and the ... and the ......

:rolleyes:

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Manufacturers’ publicity photos are low-hanging fruit for something like this, but I’ll post a couple anyway (and all of them apparently wireless:D).
56E79E29-DCA6-4630-BEB0-A9737608D9DF.jpeg
69F0F5C8-ACB6-4CDE-9375-74DAECC6429E.jpeg
B0510CD8-50A8-469F-8043-845323B61315.png

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My standard test for speaker imaging is to play a true binaural recording made with a dummy head. If a pair of speakers can match the all around the listener directionality as the same recording played via headphones, then the speakers image well, and there is relatively little of the room contributing to the image. Horns tend to be better at this than cone 'n dome speakers because of the higher ratio of direct to room sound, especially if toed in. Dipoles tend to be predominately 'envelopment' from the room; I've never heard a dipole which can image to the side, above or behind the listener and they have a hard time with imaging outside the left / right boundaries of the speakers.

If speakers of any type are up against the front wall verses relatively far out into the room, it is very difficult to achieve good depth imaging behind the plane of the speakers, and envelopment. Horns out into the room (about 1/4 to 1/3 the room depth out from the front wall) can have the best of both worlds if done right.

I agree that horns tend to have the best imaging, but I've never heard a horn that envelops the same way a good dome or ribbon does. I haven't heard many horns, though.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I agree that horns tend to have the best imaging, but I've never heard a horn that envelops the same way a good dome or ribbon does. I haven't heard many horns, though.
If the envelopment is in the recording, a good horn system will reproduce it. That's what I meant by testing speakers by playing binaural dummy head recordings and comparing that to headphones.

Koloth

Sheesh - who thought this looks good? Gives me the wiggins.

I like it.
Not the rooms, mind you, or the gear or interior decoration. It's all very off putting.
What I like is that disturbed homeboy over here isnt *just* hoarding his wealth but circulating some of it back into the economy.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It's normally against the wall. He only pulls it out when B&W and Cardas visit.
??? Isn't that Jeremy's place? The table's there in all the pix as well as when I visited (despite my complaints).
FWIW, R.I.P.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Wow, after watching that, I'm thinking that's probably an amazing sounding system.
Except that it looks like he listens only to vinyl … (not sure this is right, I did not watch the whole thing, but if so what a waste …)

Neekomax

Ha, I remember this video for sure. Yeah, that guy is definitely living the audiophile dream in his walk-in closet sized apartment. I think I could actually deal with it, except you just know there's no way to listen loud in a building like that. Which would kinda defeat the purpose of sacrificing so much for your audio system.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not necessarily mega expensive but definitely in a terrible room
compress.jpg

goldenears

Buchardts? They look so undersized in there!

It's like when you're in a cafe and they stick tiny speakers in the corners of the room ceilings.

Top Bottom