• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Oberon 7 or Opticon 6 with a Denon 2700h?

expos81

Hi

I currently have a home surround sound setup. This is what I have:

Denon 2700h AVR
Zensor 3s
Zensor 1
Zensor Vokal
Alteco C1

I'm looking to buy some floorstanding speakers to replace the Zensor 3s.

I listened to some Oberon 5 and 7 yesterday and loved them both. I have no sub so I think the 7s are my preferred option as they just feel as though you get more out of it.

The Oberon 5s are £699 and the 7s are £999. I can also buy some Opticon 6s for £999 too. I have not listened to these and some people have said my AVR may need to be upgraded to be able to get the power out of them.

I watch movies mainly so I'm not too bothered about the music side of things.

I live in an apartment, so I cannot go too loud as I'll get complaints from the neighbours, but, we will not live in an apartment forever, so this would be a purchase for the next 10 years or so.

Which would be the better option for mem Oberon 5/7 or go for the 1st Opticon 6s?

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Hi

I currently have a home surround sound setup. This is what I have:

Denon 2700h AVR
Zensor 3s
Zensor 1
Zensor Vokal
Alteco C1

I'm looking to buy some floorstanding speakers to replace the Zensor 3s.

I listened to some Oberon 5 and 7 yesterday and loved them both. I have no sub so I think the 7s are my preferred option as they just feel as though you get more out of it.

The Oberon 5s are £699 and the 7s are £999. I can also buy some Opticon 6s for £999 too. I have not listened to these and some people have said my AVR may need to be upgraded to be able to get the power out of them.

I watch movies mainly so I'm not too bothered about the music side of things.

I live in an apartment, so I cannot go too loud as I'll get complaints from the neighbours, but, we will not live in an apartment forever, so this would be a purchase for the next 10 years or so.

Which would be the better option for mem Oberon 5/7 or go for the 1st Opticon 6s?
Welcome Aboard @expos81.

Macfox

The Opticon series use more tech from the higher end series (hybrid tweeter, more use of SMC, etc.) than the Oberon, so my instinct would tell you to go with the Opticon. It also seems to be the more well regarded series for people that value detail and neutrality in sound over just 'sounding nice'. However, as always with speakers, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. A speaker might have all the tech in the world, better measurements and critical praise, it's still possible you'll prefer the other one. Also, the Oberon 7 is a well regarded speaker as well, especially for larger rooms and without support of a subwoofer.

Top Bottom