• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good EQ for MacOS and IOS (IPAD) to Play Qobuz on Headphones

Sprint

Forum Donor
Hi all,

Could you please recommend a good EQ Tool for MacOS (Big Sur) and IoS (IPAD) to play Qobuz/You Tube premium on Headphones? I currently use Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohms and Sony MDR ZX110. I use a Fiio BTR5 purely as a USB DAC. I have not tried the EQ option of BTR5 on IPAD though.

On my MacBook Pro I use currently Blackhole in combo with Hosting AU UI. The hosting AU has a parametric EQ but looks different. Attached is a screen shot. Also attached is a screen shot of Hosting AU and also the EQ recommendation of Amir for Sony MDR ZX110. As you can see in Hosting AU I can not set Q factor. Moreover Hosting AU keeps quitting making me to relaunch the service again which is annoying.

Thanks!

1617143034657.png1617143134554.png

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would recommend SoundSource for MacOS, which comes with built in EQ profiles based on measurements from various reputed sources for the model of your headphone if it is measured. Unfortunately iOS does not have a system wide ability to EQ due to lack of ability to get system level access for apps.

@Sprint I forgot to mention this, maybe get a Quedelix 5k to replace the Fiio BTR5 because you can set the PEQ profile to your liking on the Quedelix. That would resolve the iOS issue and give you a great mobile setup.

Last edited:

devopsprodude

I would recommend SoundSource for MacOS, which comes with built in EQ profiles based on measurements from various reputed sources for the model of your headphone if it is measured. Unfortunately iOS does not have a system wide ability to EQ due to lack of ability to get system level access for apps.

@Sprint I forgot to mention this, maybe get a Quedelix 5k to replace the Fiio BTR5 because you can set the PEQ profile to your liking on the Quedelix. That would resolve the iOS issue and give you a great mobile setup.
+1 for SoundSource.

Kastlez

SoundSource for Mac just keep in mind you need to upgrade to the pro version otherwise every 20 minutes it plays annoying white noise through your speakers.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SoundSource for Mac just keep in mind you need to upgrade to the pro version otherwise every 20 minutes it plays annoying white noise through your speakers.
lol
Creative ways to force you ... No commercial one can bear and suffer ... No! This as brilliant as annoying

DanTheMan

Soundsource is great IMO. Wish it was more customizable, but really it's good enough. I've always liked my HD598, now I love them. I wish Crinacle made a profile for them though.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@DanTheMan have you looked at AutoEQ repository to see if crinacle has measurements for it? I have resorted to getting peq settings from other sources and compiling them in a .txt file and importing them into SoundSource.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
@ all: Thanks for the recommendations! I will look at the Sound source and buy the 5.0. For IoS, I will first try BTR5.

dodecahedron

I also use SoundSource and I think it's great!

Like @Sprint, I currently use the AUNBandEQ Audio Unit Plugin (as a filter in SoundSource) to to set my parametric EQ. But I find it a bit low in features compared to something like Equalizer APO.

Does anybody know of a different way of setting a parametric EQ in SoundSource? Is there a better parametric EQ Audio Unit Plugin that somebody can recommend?

DanTheMan

I’ve been thinking that same thing as well as a convolution reverb. It should be fairly trivial to make everything binaural then....

gilency

I would think Audio Hijack would let you use any app and any parametric equalizer plug in you want to use. I use on my Mac connected to my RME ADI 2 and then to electrostatic headphone amplifiers. I use Idagio and iTunes, not sure about Qobuz, but youtube works..Send Rogue Amoeba an email and ask them.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi all,

Could you please recommend a good EQ Tool for MacOS (Big Sur) and IoS (IPAD) to play Qobuz/You Tube premium on Headphones? I currently use Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohms and Sony MDR ZX110. I use a Fiio BTR5 purely as a USB DAC. I have not tried the EQ option of BTR5 on IPAD though.

On my MacBook Pro I use currently Blackhole in combo with Hosting AU UI. The hosting AU has a parametric EQ but looks different. Attached is a screen shot. Also attached is a screen shot of Hosting AU and also the EQ recommendation of Amir for Sony MDR ZX110. As you can see in Hosting AU I can not set Q factor. Moreover Hosting AU keeps quitting making me to relaunch the service again which is annoying.

Thanks!

View attachment 121187View attachment 121188

I use BlackHole + Element + ToneBoosters Equalizer

https://kushview.net/element/

https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_equalizer_v4.html

1619229754590.png

tgray

I also use SoundSource and I think it's great!

Like @Sprint, I currently use the AUNBandEQ Audio Unit Plugin (as a filter in SoundSource) to to set my parametric EQ. But I find it a bit low in features compared to something like Equalizer APO.

Does anybody know of a different way of setting a parametric EQ in SoundSource? Is there a better parametric EQ Audio Unit Plugin that somebody can recommend?

I haven’t pulled the trigger on any, but there are lots of nice pricey EQ plugins out there. Fabfilter Pro-Q 3 looks really nice and there was another I can’t recall the name of right now that was similar. The above TB equalizer also looks good and is much cheaper - thanks for posting that!

You can also write your own EQ profile to use with the Headphone EQ function. REW text exports are compatible with it as well. Works pretty well, it if you want to make changes you have to import a new profile.

Last edited:

maramara

Hi all,

Thanks!

View attachment 121187View attachment 121188

In another forum we asked the Qobuz developers to implement an EQ in their iOS client and they agreed it's a good idea. Not sure if I can post the link here.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
In another forum we asked the Qobuz developers to implement an EQ in their iOS client and they agreed it's a good idea. Not sure if I can post the link here.

It will be great if you can post the link here.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor

CTRLM

Top Bottom