• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How can I integrate TV audio into streamer?

obkook

Here is my current setup:
  • Amp - vintage Luxman integrated
  • DAC - Rpi3 with Plexamp + Khadas Tone1 and Squeezebox Touch internal
  • Sources - Ripped FLAC library on Synology NAS streamed by LMS and Plex, TiDAL, Spotify
  • Unused currently - Rpi4 + HiFiBerry pro DAC hat
I've got a modern TV that I'd to integrate into the mix, and do not have a standalone DAC.

I realize I could just go RCA out to the Lux, or use a switching box etc., but I'd like to use what I have on hand if possible and would rather not use the internal TV DAC for this.

I've been looking at MoOde and wondering if I could replace the Plexamp RPI in order to get streaming radio stations - a big gap that Plexamp does not support. I also wondered if I could add TV duties through one of the RPI + DAC combo? If I used Khadas Tone1, I think I could go optical out from the TV, but currently optical in is from the Digi out hat on the RPI.

Or I could build something dedicated for the TV using the RPI4 and use HDMI to USB for the audio feed?

Or perhaps this is all too complicated and I should just get a little digital to analogue converter and be done with it.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a first experiment, for the price of a cheap cable, try the TV's headphone out to the Lux. Probably it will be more than satisfactory. I set mine up that way, and it's fine - in fact surprisingly good. Certainly good enough that I'm not motivated to improve it.

OP
O

obkook

As a first experiment, for the price of a cheap cable, try the TV's headphone out to the Lux. Probably it will be more than satisfactory. I set mine up that way, and it's fine - in fact surprisingly good. Certainly good enough that I'm not motivated to improve it.
LOL, yeah I think I overcomplicated it like crazy. :)
I'll give this a try.

OP
O

obkook

So I did this and it works "fine".

The two issues I have with this approach are:
  • I lose some valuable real estate on my vintage 2 channel amp. I've got 2xAux inputs. I'd rather have a single connection fed by a DAC that can handle multiple sources I think. Even 2 sources.
  • I have to turn the TV volume up to about 90/100 to make the input level on par with other sources feeding the amp.

Top Bottom