• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

johan

Audio Company
Hello Amir

if /when possible , can you take another reading of Jtest with the new earth ?

maty

Major Contributor
Allo Boss2 + Shanti power + 16GB (Moode)

ALLo BOSS2 manual with shanti.png

*** 392.00 $ -> (0,83 $/€) -> 323,43 € at home ***

The same pack from Audiophonics: 377,5 € at home :(

ALLO BOSS2 DAC CS43198 32bit 192kHz DSD64 with Aluminum Case and Raspberry Pi 4 - Audiophonics...png

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very nice, tempted indeed at a UK retail price of £129 incl VAT ;-)

vkvedam

Forum Donor
But is Allo a French company or an Indian one? If it’s Indian, maybe a cricket bat would be more appropriate!
It's French with offshore development wing based in Bengaluru, India.

Audioagnostic

RPI needs at least 2.5A , USB cannot supply that much power .

Johan, I am using a previous version of the allo Boss, 1.2, with a pi3 and use it with a standard 3A usb C powersupply. Happy with it, works very well. I have a pi4 for multimedia playback, libre elec, that I also use with a USB powersupply.

Will a USB powersupply not work with the boss2?

I am thinking of upgrading because the cases of my current Boss is falling apart. This looks much better. Sonically I do not expect a lot of benefit...

johan

Audio Company
Yes it will work. I advise to use the DC jack in(back plate) instead of RPI usb-c DC in.

Do expect a sonic benefit vs Boss1..

cbhere

Forum Donor
Hello

Is it possible not to use a computer, but instead plug a 2to hard disc, and manage playing songs from a smartphone with application?

For this you don't need a computer, once its booted up just point the browser on the smartphone connected to the same network to the respective site(in my case I use moode audio so http://moode.local/) and it loads the interface for playing the files on the SD card or any USB drives connected to the device.
You also have option of Airplay and Spotify, once activated through settings your phone will directly stream to the player from the respective apps.
It's a great device and I enjoy using it..

milosz

Forum Donor
Yes a handy device. One could be seated in the "sweet spot" in whatever room your system is in, and using a notebook or a tablet or even a phone you could play Internet streams through the thing, or you could play stored tracks from a NAS or PC on your network that has ample storage. Nice to see such a machine with a very good DAC at such a friendly price.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DAC is the Cirrus Logic CS43198. These CS4319x models are excellent, as we can see by entry level priced DACs performing ~115 dB SINAD and excellent jitter when well implemented, such as this case and some dongles.

Katji

Major Contributor
But is Allo a French company or an Indian one? If it’s Indian, maybe a cricket bat would be more appropriate!
It's both, but HO in France, company registered in France. AFAIK, but pretty sure. You know, like "designed in XYZ" but made in PRC, in this case manufactured in India. ...Not sure about R&D centre though.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I would like to explain how a streamer works . RPIs hardware is a small computer that has an open sourced OS. Many audio players , like Moode , PCP . Volumio etc build on that OS using open source software .

From your tablet/phone , you can stream direct to our Boss2 using airplay , upnp/dnla , spotify plug in , roon and more coming . You can swtich at any time betwen players by flashing the SD card with the new image.
Thanks, I am not familiar with PI streamers. On my own streamer and on others (no need to disclose here and induce competition in your own thread), I don't stream direct from my tablet, my files and streaming application are located on a remote host computer or in the cloud, and my tablet just host a remote control application. Can you do this easily in the RPI environment?

johan

Audio Company
Its not RPI..its software . I am able to stream anything from my network to the device. I dont have any cloud music but it should be possible. Check Moode or Volumio

Dogen

Forum Donor
Performance aside (which is excellent) I really like the distinctive design. I think appearances sell a lot of products, and this is a fresh, clean design that helps it stand out from the pack.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Nice review! USB dongle allows wireless streaming? I wonder how well it would perform compared to Ethernet?

mash

Looks really nice!

to date, I've been using Ropieee with my RPis to stream Roon. Was looking to set one of these up for my daughter. She streams Spotify. Does anyone know if Moode allows you to setup Spotify connect through the gui or do I need to dive down into manual RPi package install/config land?

johan

Audio Company
Yeap Moode allows Spotify connect . (using GUI)

Last edited:
Top Bottom