• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you pass as a British Citizen?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The test is partly fact based but partly based on our own nationalist virtue delusions , more folk support their local football team than get involved in community issues lol

It’s more telling of us as a nation that the suitability of the applicants.

blackmetalboon

Only got 13, probably would have been worse if I hadn’t watched the films National Treasure & Independence Day!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Can you pass as a British Citizen?

Apparently so, in some circumstances.

On a visit to Alabama at age 21 or so, two local people asked me if I was from England (maybe I have an accent they didn't recognize).

Odd, since I was born in Atlanta, spent young school years in Birmingham AL, then on to Florida at age 15...

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
23/24. I knew it was 60 years, but did not know that was a "Diamond Jubilee". Must be all that WASP training.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
23/24. Missed the St. Andrew's Cross question. I'm a history nerd and a good guesser, though. I also figured if there was a question about a sport (note the American "a sport" and not just "sport") the answer was probably [no spoilers!].

Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 7.25.57 PM.png

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Kicking myself for thinking selective service no longer applied! Otherwise, perfect on both tests. But then I’ve got history and politics degrees and a good memory for trivia.
Non trolling question for US citizens (not just those who can pass the test):
Why do Americans think the War of Independence was a revolution? I mean, it’s Independence day, King George didn’t get overthrown, a new country was created, etc. Has it always been the US designation?

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
The test is partly fact based but partly based on our own nationalist virtue delusions , more folk support their local football team than get involved in community issues lol

It’s more telling of us as a nation that the suitability of the applicants.
Local football (or rugby) is a community issue!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Why do Americans think the War of Independence was a revolution? I mean, it’s Independence day, King George didn’t get overthrown, a new country was created, etc. Has it always been the US designation?

It was a "revolt".

revolt

1: Take violent action against an established government or ruler; rebel.

So, "Revolutionary" War.

I guess it could have been the Revolting War, or even the Rebelicious War.

Independence Day celebrates the signing of an agreement, the Declaration of Independence, on July 4 1776.

I don't think we have any "War" holidays, but we have Veterans Day and Memorial Day, celebrating the warriors.

flipflop

Uh oh! You got 17 out of 24 correct. Maybe put that celebratory afternoon tea on hold for now and hit the books before trying again.

I don't understand the quiz makers' obsession with literature and medieval history. Surely they could have made room for more questions about British values.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
It was a "revolt".

revolt

1: Take violent action against an established government or ruler; rebel.

So, "Revolutionary" War.

I guess it could have been the Revolting War, or even the Rebelicious War.

Independence Day celebrates the signing of an agreement, the Declaration of Independence, on July 4 1776.

I don't think we have any "War" holidays, but we have Veterans Day and Memorial Day, celebrating the warriors.
Ok it was revolting, that doesn’t make it revolutionary.
Most revolutions seem to change the established government, not secede from it.
Mind you the English civil war killed the king and made huge changes to the established order, yet it’s not called a revolution. Whereas the deposing of James II for William & Mary is.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But still they hadn't learned. LOL

Wombat

Master Contributor
The prize for winners:

d0c7a5db38a21c7c73cd45e88c97f5c07b1604da.jpg

tomelex

Forum Donor
That was fun, 15 out of 24 and I lived there for 4 years but too busy eating scones and touring historic homes and hanging about with the local villagers, I did pay my TV tax and MOT though, why not questions about that on the test! That's important isn't it?

I hope no one expects me to pass the USA citizen test.....:eek:

Last edited:

wgscott

I got 20 correct, but had I answered more honestly, I would have failed. Having lived there for 3.5 years and a couple of other times, and married a Brithole, I knew what I was expected to provide as answers.

Cosmik

Major Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor
That's a new word for me. But I don't seem to be able to find it in any dictionary...

Imagination is activated ....... .:rolleyes: It sounds worse than 'Pommie bastard' -Aussie term of endearment. o_O

Last edited:
Top Bottom