• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pics of mega-expensive equipment in horrible rooms

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php

Horrible equipment in mega-expensive rooms?

vert

Forum Donor
The Gerrard on top of the Pioneer has a flip-over ceramic cartridge, useful for transcribing 78s. The Pioneer connected to a pair of RBH mini-towers under the kitchen window, out doors. There's a Harman Kardon 330 on the left side, had the Strathclyde 305-M on top. I think, maybe it was the Sansui. This is the Strathclyde:

View attachment 126832You could call me a hoarder at the time. The local Amvets would get a lot of audio gear. When I see a vintage Pioneer reciever for $15, what am I supposed to do, walk by it? I don't think so.

The biggest [and most visible] bargain are the Infinity Primus speakers, a full 5.0 of my 5.1 [with three powered subs], 360s up from, 250s in back, C 25 in the center, Amvets, $80. I was given the Strathclyde.

This is a clear case of "be careful what you wish for". Had to get rid of all of it when I moved:

View attachment 126833

The late, great Miette enjoying the warmth of vintage electronics:

View attachment 126834
Miette... I love it, what a great name for a pet.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

audio2design

Major Contributor
Just go view the system pages for users on Audiogon. It is is a nightmare. Many many systems costing $10's of thousands, connected by thousands of dollars if not $10K + of snakes, in reflective rooms with nary an acoustic treatment in place. I would say 90% of the systems there, most expensive, don't have treatments at all. 5-7% have some, and maybe 2-3% have acoustic treatments in line with the cost of their equipment.

Loathecliff

Yeah, I mean, you'll never get black backgrounds with a rubber band drive that ain't black!
:rolleyes::facepalm::cool:

How about green? - Ref. ThatHiFi's infamous scribe who applied green felt tip to the CD edge.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
How about green? - Ref. ThatHiFi's infamous scribe who applied green felt tip to the CD edge.
They sold green pens to decorate the edges of CDs.
It's one of those ideas that makes some kind of intuitive "sense" -- green & red being complementary colors, and something about light scattering and... I don't know... aliens, maybe...

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Can't imagine how this system sounds, but it seems like there's going to be a lot of reverberation.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Roast away... This is my room so far, and there's a dual 12" Genelec sub in the back with some Kali IN-5 monitors for surrounds.

Untitled.jpg

Top Bottom