• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Update on my neutral-island of sonic experience:
HD 600: pretty much any upgrades aren’t possible without sacrificing at least one thing they do right, bust if they had about 4 dB more around 40 Hz they will be perfect. They are truly special, that in my search of headphones have killed and surpassed every single alternative (regardless of price). These have being judged pretty harshly, but can’t really find more faults other than bass extension and level.

I think that 4 extra dB at 40hz than default is easily achievable on the HD6... series with EQ if that is something you can do, no ? The way I've EQed mines, they output more subbass in the 20-40hz range than the K371 when measured on my head with in-concha mics. No noticeable distortion (I suppose perhaps because of the level I listen at - given the displayed Vrms on my Qudelix 5K I'd be surprised to learn that output ever exceeds 100dB in that region).

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
I think that 4 extra dB at 40hz than default is easily achievable on the HD6... series with EQ if that is something you can do, no ? The way I've EQed mines, they output more subbass in the 20-40hz range than the K371 when measured on my head with in-concha mics. No noticeable distortion (I suppose perhaps because of the level I listen at).
My sources don’t allow me to use EQ (iOS devices). So I’m out of luck. I only care down to 40 Hz, so is not as much of a problem as it seems.

MayaTlab

My sources don’t allow me to use EQ (iOS devices). So I’m out of luck. I only care down to 40 Hz, so is not as much of a problem as it seems.

Noted, I share the same problem with my iPhone. That's why the Qudelix 5K worked for me, but that may not be applicable in your circumstances.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
It seems that there is a trade off between driver excursion and driver control. I’ve been looking over it these few days, interesting topic. Usually small drivers are the ones to measure the best.

domiji

After a lot of In Ears i finally settle with over ear headphones :)

My current collection:
  • Hifiman Arya
  • Focal Elex(ear)
  • Grado GS1000
  • Beyerdynamic Amiron Home

Hifiman HE400i, Fostex T50RP Mk3 (home done mayflower mod and Shure pads). Beyerdynamic DT770 250 Ohm, SHP9500 with Shure 1540 Pads , ATH-MSR7 and Sennheiser Momentum 2 wireless. My favourites were the T50RP but then I discovered Amir's EQ for the HE400i and they now win.

Slight change on this, still have the HE400i but being sold, replaced with Hifiman Sundara and i've added the Denon AH-D7200

HiZ

I usually use speakers, but my headphones use the beyerdynamic T1 2 generation with the topping a90.

I'm fairly new to this world.

HD6XX + Loxjie P20
QOA Vesper IEM

Limopard

Sennheiser HD 560s, HD 660s, HD 650 (assembled from spare parts, the headband lost so much paint, I removed the rest, grilles are HD 600), HD 569, Beyer DT1990 pro (for sale), Sony WH1000xm3, UE 900s.

Fiio K5pro, Tempotec Sonata HD pro, Creative E5

Marmus

Are AKG712 still in the game after factory move to China? May beat Focal Elex right there? Thoughts?

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Returned the Meze 99 Classics, I found my Sennheiser PX100 ii to be superior to them. Seems to me you are paying for their build quality and fancy materials.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Are AKG712 still in the game after factory move to China? May beat Focal Elex right there? Thoughts?

Some may prefer the Elex, others may prefer the K712.
No way to tell how this will be for you unfortunately.
AKG fans will recommend K712 (or K702), Focal fans will recommend Elex or other models.
Why restrict your choice to only one of those ?

aandres_gm

I'm due for an upgrade. I've had the same Audio Technica ATH-AD900 for about 10 years now, some Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear for maybe 6 years, and a couple years ago I got the Grado SR60e, because I was amazed at how good of a sound they produced at that price point. Later this year, I'll be looking to buy some big boy headphones for max 1500€, we'll see how that goes.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
ATH-AD900 are great! but they are treble focused imo, are you looking to upgrade from that with something similar or are you looking for a different sound altogether.

aandres_gm

ATH-AD900 are great! but they are treble focused imo, are you looking to upgrade from that with something similar or are you looking for a different sound altogether.
Is treble focused a polite way of saying they have almost no bass at all? :p The question is very good, though. I would like something with perhaps a smaller, more precise soundstage, as I believe the AD900 are a bit too spacious. More bass would be also very good to have. I'm pretty much looking for a refined combination of the AD900 and the Grado, if that makes any sense.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Is treble focused a polite way of saying they have almost no bass at all? :p The question is very good, though. I would like something with perhaps a smaller, more precise soundstage, as I believe the AD900 are a bit too spacious. More bass would be also very good to have. I'm pretty much looking for a refined combination of the AD900 and the Grado, if that makes any sense.

So more bass, a more intimate soundstage while retaining imaging and resolution. I have experience with the following pairs and can recommend them based off what your looking for.

Hifiman Sundara (Accurate and punchy bass, Intimate with good imaging, treble focused but not as much as Grado)
Hifiman HE4XX (More bass than Sundara, intimate, good imaging, slightly upper mid range focused)
Sennheiser HD6XX (Warm and controlled bass, mid range focused, darker treble)

(No Experience with) but I hear that the Audeze LCD2 are like the planar version of the Sennheiser HD6XX, but with more resolution.

I would be willing to bet that an EQ'd Sundara would be just what the doctor ordered.

All need an amp.

Last edited:

aandres_gm

So more bass, a more intimate soundstage while retaining imaging and resolution. I have experience with the following pairs and can recommend them based off what your looking for.

Hifiman Sundara (Accurate and puncy bass, Intimate with good imaging, treble focused but not as much as Grado)
Hifiman HE4XX (More bass than Sundara, intimate, good imaging, slightly upper mid range focused)
Sennheiser HD6XX (Warm and controlled bass, mid range focused, darker treble)

I would be willing to bet that an EQ'd Sundara would be just what the doctor ordered.

All 3 need an amp.
Those are some of the candidates I have in mind. The non XX versions, at least, as they're not widely available in Europe. Some others are the Ananda, some Focal models, maybe even Audeze. Once the pandemic slows down, I'll make an appointment at the local hifi shop, to do some auditioning. Thanks for the input ;)

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Those are some of the candidates I have in mind. The non XX versions, at least, as they're not widely available in Europe. Some others are the Ananda, some Focal models, maybe even Audeze. Once the pandemic slows down, I'll make an appointment at the local hifi shop, to do some auditioning. Thanks for the input ;)

Absolutely welcome, but I am actually jamming to BB King on Anandas right now, they have immensely large sound stage so I would steer clear, but you never know, if you have a place to audition headphones then you are very lucky, I have to buy them based off of research then hope for the best lol nothing in Northern Kentucky outside of Guitar Center and they only have closed back cans.

phrwn

Finally I'm done for now. E-Mu Teaks, JDS Element II and an Audiophile Ninja cable.
Sounds great. Spending money on music now instead of playback devices.

Top Bottom