• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam A5X Review (Powered Studio Monitor)

vlad335

Forum Donor
My main daily listening speakers are the T7V (with a sub) as the A series was way too expensive to justify. Granted we know the T series have some lift in the treble that isn't present in this speaker, but I'm also stuck wondering what exactly all that extra cash actually buys you. I've heard the A7X briefly and it was good (and "felt similar" to the T series) but I never really had a chance to get acquainted.

The speaker reviewed is mine. Before that I owned the T5V and I can say that the A5X is superior. The clarity and separion of voice and instruments is significantly better and it goes a great deal louder. I'm sure there is more and cleaner power on tap.

I use the A5X with a SVS SB1000 sub crossed at 80hz so I don't miss the low end.

respice finem

Major Contributor
The speaker reviewed is mine. Before that I owned the T5V and I can say that the A5X is superior. The clarity and separion of voice and instruments is significantly better and it goes a great deal louder. I'm sure there is more and cleaner power on tap.

I use the A5X with a SVS SB1000 sub crossed at 80hz so I don't miss the low end.
I suppose much depends on the size of the stereo triangle (the smaller the better).

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By going sealed and 3-ways :) and they're good for losing weight, says my wallet ;)
But yes, the smaller ones are ported and with little issues too...

The KH120 is also a 5-inch monitor just like this, front ported, and shows no sign of any significant midrange disturbance from the port even in Klippel measurements. Granted, it is about $200/ea more expensive.

Promit

And I’m perfectly willing to believe that, but where is the data to support that assertion? What measurement conveys that improvement?

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The speaker reviewed is mine. Before that I owned the T5V and I can say that the A5X is superior. The clarity and separion of voice and instruments is significantly better and it goes a great deal louder. I'm sure there is more and cleaner power on tap..

There's more to it. T5V has plastic cone that has very low Q breakup starting from little over 1kHz. A5X has carbon composite cone that is more rigid and by that pistonic in intended pass band. Plastic cone is usually very VERY poor choice for midrange clarity. There are tricks (Dynaudio tries to work around it for decades) but not in this price range.

Last edited:

vlad335

Forum Donor
And I’m perfectly willing to believe that, but where is the data to support that assertion? What measurement conveys that improvement?

Ok, edited my original response as it was uncalled for. Having quite a bad night at work and got set off. Anyway, I apologize.

I think the above post mentioning the woofer material has alot to do with it. It also supposedly has a better tweeter.

No data here. I took the T5V off the desk stands and placed the A5x and was greeted to beautiful sound. Also, the T5V had a limit to where it would break up and get harsh sounding. That limit is much higher with the A5X.

Last edited:

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By going sealed and 3-ways :) and they're good for losing weight, says my wallet ;)
But yes, the smaller ones are ported and with little issues too...

The KH80 is even smaller than this and has no port cancellation whatsoever. So it's definitely doable!

Isn't one of the advantages of a ribbon tweeter supposed to be better horizontal dispersion ? But in this speaker the directivity is very narrow above 8khz ?

Maintaining wide directivity up to 8kHz is actually a little wider that the usual 1" dome tweeter, which will tend to start beaming at about 5-6kHz. You'd need a more substantial waveguide to prevent any beaming above 8kHz. Personally I dont't know how important it is to optimize directivity above 10kHz though.

Also amir marked the beamwidth as 60-degrees, but for me it's really the 2-8ish kHz region that gives the sensation of 'wide' or 'narrow' soundstage more than anything else, and this speaker is more around 70 degrees in that respect.

EDIT: at a second glance it actually looks like it is beaming more at around 6kHz too so errmm *shrugs*

LearningToSmile

Would be interesting to get the A7X(or A8X) in for a comparison - they both use simpler round port design, curious how much this changes things, if at all.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Nice to see that one finally tested here.

A5X/A7X have always been an either love or hate thing for people, somehow.

I'm in the hate group ;-) I cannot stand listening to A7X for more than an hour or so... A5X is slightly better but still a lot of fatigue going on. It really depends on music style. Hit them with EDM or Techno or simple "girl & guitar" and the typical test tracks with sparse instrumentation and I find then sounding literally brilliant and crisp and "exiting" (at least at first impression).
Hit them with dense orchestral or just a simple grand piano, they quickly fall apart for me, at almost any listening level. Has nothing to do with the port notch or the Klaus Heinz "House EQ" (tilt up at both frequency extremes).

I attribute this partly to the woofer power amp. In the early models we used one half **) of TDA8920 (PWM chip amp) for this but when it became obsolete we changed to TDA8950 or 8953 and that one is a truly broken design. Decaying piano notes sound like Digeridoo on those if you listen closely. On the ARTist5 which is technically identical (except for some add-ons) but uses TDA7294's for woofer and tweeter this "layer of confusion" during softer passages of the music is not present. It also has a rear-firing slot port with zero issues (apart from a bit of chuffing).

**) original plan was to use the other half for the tweeter but buzzing crosstalk from woofer channel and the general disortion characteristic was unbearable so we changed the A5X electronics in a last-minute overhaul to use the class-A/B amp on the tweeter. The TDA8920 thus was broken too, for a use case like this. Specs say cross-talk is -60dB (0.1%) @1kHz which would be considered OK but the don't tell us the spectrum of the crosstalk which is basically a high pass filtered full-wave rectified copy of the woofer channel current. Every time the woofer current reverses direction at a zero crossing there was a glitch in the tweeter (which is high sensitivity, pronouncing the issue).

The second factor is cone breakup, IMHO. This cone (more exactly, the dustcap) has strong unsupressed resonances. A third factor is the tweeter distortion near it's XO point.

As ususal, these distortion issues are not showing up so clearly in simple swept/stepped sine measurement. You have to use 2-tone or full IMD to see that and get closer to what is actually heard.

The port issue is just bad luck where a number of factors conincided. The "pan-flute" resonance exited by the front wave happens to be in phase with the exitation from the back wave so their energies combine rather than (at leasty partly) cancel each other. This looks very bad on plots but is IHMO much more benign than the other issues. Yet another one of those is severe port chuffing.

So this is a speaker that has issues at low levels and has other issues at high levels. Both contribute to often mentioned "detail" and "crispness" of these speakers but in the end this is false detail and false crispness.

But, since a monitor is just a tool, when you are aware of its characteristics this actually is not a drawback. It forces you to EQ, mix and produce your stuff in a certain way so that it doesn't trigger too much of the ill-effects and then it will sound good on "typical" (lesser) consumer speakers or PA's as well, many of which will have similar issues. This is IMHO one reason why A5X/A7X was such a successful product, notably within the EDM home-producers scene which skyrocketed at the time..

Note: You've sure noted the wording "we" in this text... I was just starting my day job at ADAM at the time when AX series was launched, so I had no deal in their design. Rather my first task was to get the production up and running and fix the main issues, notably on that said A5X...

KSTR

Major Contributor
Would be interesting to get the A7X(or A8X) in for a comparison - they both use simpler round port design, curious how much this changes things, if at all.
A8X is not a good speaker, it is boom/zing party box style. One simply cannot match a hard-coned 8" to an AMT without severe directivity issues, plus it has even more bass hump than other ADAM's. Plus the distortion (even more on the tweeter which is forced to XO lower here).

Moonhead

A8X is not a good speaker, it is boom/zing party box style. One simply cannot match a hard-coned 8" to an AMT without severe directivity issues, plus it has even more bass hump than other ADAM's. Plus the distortion (even more on the tweeter which is forced to XO lower here).
Which Adam speaker Do you prefer, if any?
Thx for your insight.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir. Here we have one assembled in Germany. I was curious how it would compare to the China assembled TV5, and now I have your impressions.
Why would Adam be unable to maintain production standards at two locations? Race?

KSTR

Major Contributor
Which Adam speaker Do you prefer, if any?
Thx for your insight.
F-Series (F5/F7)... because I designed most of it ;-) Sadly, the matching subwoofer never went in production. With these subs this was actually a 3-way with very good integration, truly designed to act as one speaker (unlike typical "general-purpose" subs)
In absolute terms the F-Series isn't pefect, of course. The cheap woofer's soft cone is sure a bit sloppy and certainly not a king of resolution. But the F-Series is very low distortion within its class (many tricks done in the electronics done for this), and it has a better port (though again some notching).
Again, I prefer the F5 to the F7, and both are fatigue-free for me, well suited to long listening sessions. For some monitoring work, less so (see previous post for as to why).

And the "classic" S3X-H is quite nice of course (though it has severe port issues), also some of the smaller HiFi models in the Tensor series.

I left ADAM in 2014 so I can't comment on newer models.

KSTR

Major Contributor
[...] assembled in Germany
...always was marketing ploy. The tweeter was hand-built in Germany and then mounted into the box which arrived fully pre-assembled and tested from China.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In Europe, you can have a pair of those for just a bit more than 700 €.

As for them being able to get very loud but playing without deep bass, wouldn't it be the same if you take for instance the Genelec 8030C and put a high-pass filter (like 48dB/oct at 60Hz), since both have 50W + 50W as amplification?

DanTheMan

This really explains why I stuff the ports and crossover at 180Hz. It seems to make a world of difference. Every front ported speaker I’ve tested has these problems—they can be a bit different in frequency and severity, but it’s there.

Top Bottom