• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vista Audio Spark II Review (Amplifer)

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I said it before, here is a good example of good sounding (or at least preceived sound) amp but bad measure results, and I think plenty of tubes amps will be in this category (even 4000usd are in thi category). I had this amp and as I also mention, to me, was the best soundning of the 4 amps I had at home.
And despite the critics to the YT reviewers, they have plenty of amps to listen and HiFi experience and they still choose this little amp as well regarded, twice.
So it makes you wonder how something that measure so bad can sound good to many?

There is a difference between likable and accurate. A likable amp does not have to be accurate if that's not what the buyer is looking for. Lots of people buy tube amps because they find them to be likable, but very few are as accurate as mid-level solid state amps. We dweebs on audiosciencereview.com prefer our amps to be accurate to be likable. I would not buy the Vista Audio Spark II.

Rmeillat

I am sorry to say that I respectfully disagree. The problem with the YT reviewer is that almost all of them have absolutely no technical formal training. But they call their crafts reviews and make claims that are unsubstantiated and completely subjective. They don't follow the scientific process in evaluating a piece of gear.

Words like musicality and emotions don't have any meaning or value, because its not from my ears or my room. Also the typical YT Reviewer doesn't follow the process of first making objective measurements and they confirming or refuting these with subjective listening. They go straight from reading specs to the subjective criteria. AudioPh (Hans also) is in his late 60's, his spectrum, should not extend past 14K or less. ZF (include all the others) has (have) no technical background at all. Any of them may easily connect this Amp and a pair of efficient speaker and don't notice any distortion. They don't have the gear to measure, they are blind.

See AmirM (ASR) is not the first to adopt the scientific method. Back in the late 60/70/80 we had Julian Hirsch. He used the same method in Stereo Review. I trust the process to eliminate all that has no value, narrowing the list. Then I decide what is musical, for me when I listen. That is the main difference / value these so called experts YT reviewers don't have. Have a great day.
Thanks for your thorough response. Can't say you've managed to change my mind though. Still think the scientific method is overrated when it comes to music. One thing that has always intrigued me is how many musicians love their turntable and tube amps. As I grew up surrounded by professional musicians, I can guarantee you that their listening skills are way above average. They know what instruments are supposed to sound like as well. Yet some of them find LP's and tube amps more musical. Something that would most likely not pass Amir's "scientific tests"... I don't belong to any single camp. It's more about mood and recordings... Do I want to hear all the details with large soundstage? Or do I feel like a more live and intimate presentation... I joined this discussion simply to say that the YT reviewers you don't seem to value much are the ones that makes me love this hobby the most. They're passionate about gears AND music and that passion comes through. And to me, their opinions matter just as much. They don't pretend to be engineers but they sure seem to know lots about audiophile stuff and that's good enough for me. Have a good one!

Southall-1998

Thanks for your thorough response. Can't say you've managed to change my mind though. Still think the scientific method is overrated when it comes to music. One thing that has always intrigued me is how many musicians love their turntable and tube amps. As I grew up surrounded by professional musicians, I can guarantee you that their listening skills are way above average. They know what instruments are supposed to sound like as well. Yet some of them find LP's and tube amps more musical. Something that would most likely not pass Amir's "scientific tests"... I don't belong to any single camp. It's more about mood and recordings... Do I want to hear all the details with large soundstage? Or do I feel like a more live and intimate presentation... I joined this discussion simply to say that the YT reviewers you don't seem to value much are the ones that makes me love this hobby the most. They're passionate about gears AND music and that passion comes through. And to me, their opinions matter just as much. They don't pretend to be engineers but they sure seem to know lots about audiophile stuff and that's good enough for me. Have a good one!

You are on the wrong forum.

S.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They're passionate about gears AND music and that passion comes through.
We are all passionate about gear and music. There is zero difference between us in that regard. This is a common retort with no foundation. Please don't use it here. We are not here to practice debating tactics and talking points.

That aside, where we are different from others, is that if we say equipment X is this way, we want to be able to show it is a reliable prediction. To want otherwise is to aspire to have random opinions thrown at you. I don't go to my doctor looking for random lay opinion. I don't know why I should for something as technical as sound reproduction.

In this case, the reliable, objective evidence points to this amplifier being designed far worse than many other choices. There is no evidence that its failing add to any kind of enjoyment. That some owners or reviewers think otherwise, is influenced by countless things independent of the gear being tested.

Still think the scientific method is overrated when it comes to music.
It is the other way around. So much misinformation gets thrown around by youtubers and audiophiles that the science is all but lost. I suggest watching this video on what it takes to have a reliable opinion when it comes to listening to gear:

P_M

now I am really curious about their phono preamp.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, it doesn't draw attention to itself for sure. It's as plain as they come.

Yeah, that gaudy neon blue lighting really is low key :rolleyes:

Sorry, but even unlit it looks tacky IMO.

Different strokes. . .

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I can completely see Steve Guttenberg give a great review in exchange for a $200 discount on this amp. The guy doesn't have enough equipment. And it will look great between his First Watt Sit 3 amp and his Pass Labs Int 25! Time to wake up and get real!
Take a deep breath. We're not talking only in regards to this amp. The discussion is why so many of these YT reviewers seldom give negative reviews generally. And no one but the reviewer knows their incentive so it's academic.

NJC

Take a deep breath. We're not talking only in regards to this amp. The discussion is why so many of these YT reviewers seldom give negative reviews generally. And no one but the reviewer knows their incentive so it's academic.
Zero Fidelity had a segment on that issue. If a product wasn't going to get a relatively positive review (mentioning comparative weaknesses was ok), the review wouldn't be done and the product would be returned.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Zero Fidelity had a segment on that issue. If a product wasn't going to get a relatively positive review (mentioning comparative weaknesses was ok), the review wouldn't be done and the product would be returned.
How often has this happened?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Wow this is not surprising even if it is quite eye opening for some.

mackat

Forum Donor
I’m scared, I have the Phono2 and really like it. Amar, how long would it take to run it through the testing? I’m happy to send it in if it’ll come back relatively quickly.
I also have the Phono 2 (as well as the Phono 1 mkII), and really like them. I'd be very interested in seeing how the Phono 2 measures. I haven't been listening to much vinyl lately, so I would be willing to send mine in if that makes it any easier.

NJC

How often has this happened?
Don't know, just that it's better to bow out gracefully than create animosity. Although I've seen Cheapaudioman be critical of Klipsch pricing and Tharbamer and Zeos Pantera not liking the Borea 3 as others, Some reviewers just don't want to deal with the issue. I relate to some, others, not.

Personally, I think there are too many glowing reviews, 4-5 stars when 3 should indicate average at whatever price point, but in the end, personal experience is what is used. If the SQ is pleasing to you, who is anyone to tell you that it's wrong.

Never going to reproduce a real instrument playing in one environment then going to yours with all the mixing, conversion, etc., and at the volume we listen to...but there is a close enough for satisfaction.

I'm glad this site takes measurements. Anyone can render an opinion.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow this is not surprising even if it is quite eye opening for some.
Even if he did return items he didn't want to review negatively that doesn't speak to the countless other YT reviewers out there. He may be one isolated reviewer with scruples.

Labjr

Major Contributor
IMO, this amp not only measures lousy but it's not even a good value. It's only 20 watts. One could probably pick up a used receiver for under $50 that would do more than this. Or buy a new Emotiva BasX A2 with 10X the power and better specs for a little more money.

PaiZe

I’m scared, I have the Phono2 and really like it. Amar, how long would it take to run it through the testing? I’m happy to send it in if it’ll come back relatively quickly.

Scared for real, or just a way of saying?
I like this site and value the work done, but sometimes get the vibe that "if it doesn't measure well, can't be good", especially in the comments.

I find it wonderful that an "imperfect" product can still bring much enjoyment, and to me that's what it counts in the end - measures being useful to find correlations with what one likes or doesn't.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Scared for real, or just a way of saying?
I like this site and value the work done, but sometimes get the vibe that "if it doesn't measure well, can't be good", especially in the comments.

I find it wonderful that an "imperfect" product can still bring much enjoyment, and to me that's what it counts in the end - measures being useful to find correlations with what one likes or doesn't.

The way I see it; it's a $400, anemic, poor measuring amp (and gaudy looks IMO). Whats to like? I just don't understand why one would remotely be interested in it. Surely there are (much?) better options around this price point.

I struggle to understand why an amp like this even exists.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Even if he did return items he didn't want to review negatively that doesn't speak to the countless other YT reviewers out there. He may be one isolated reviewer with scruples.
I'm sure this is going on all over the place. It is pretty much how it goes with products these days... I know in the computer industry that this is almost a standard practice now.

PaiZe

The way I see it; it's a $400, anemic, poor measuring amp (and gaudy looks IMO). Whats to like? I just don't understand why one would remotely be interested in it. Surely there are (much?) better options around this price point.

I struggle to understand why an amp like this even exists.

Amir tested and tried it, and gave his results and opinion - which is great.
Some users like it, under certain conditions, or for certain purposes - that is also good to know.

Have you measured it or tried it?
If so, tell about your results or experience.
If not, why the need to be so dismissive of a product why haven't even tried?
Just to get a "I know better than thou" feeling?
I don't get it, but well, if that's what makes you happy, enjoy it :)

Top Bottom