• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KJF Audio MA-01 Hypex NC252MP Amplifier Teardown

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just reviewed the MA-01 amplifier from KJF so thought I take the top off and show the insides:

KJF Audio MA-01 teardown MC252MP Hypex.jpg

Very interesting! Did not expect to see a custom backplane for the inputs and routing of the mains power/fan control. The board also has the popular ATMEGA 2560-16 microcontroller which likely handles trigger and fan control.

Overall wiring seems very clean and nicely laid out other than the AC route for the bottom third channel. AC is travelling on the same PCB as the input across that whole board. This should have had its own PCB or at least nice routing to keep the high voltage from arcing over to the inputs.

The other miss -- and a common one -- is use of stick on cable holders on the sides of the unit. Over time the glue gives up and they fall down. Screw hold downs should have been used instead.

Finally, there is a grounding screw from the IEC terminal to the chassis but it is quite small and I am not sure the anodization has been removed to make good contact.

Overall, not a bad attempt.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Somafunk

Major Contributor
They should also use cable tie cutting pliers rather than leave sharp tails, pet irritation of mine.

xema

Have to say this is almost a no-brain design, just tile the amp modules and winding them.
Not strange that the overlength cables cause some crosstalk and power-supply interfering.
A single 252 moudule could do better IMO.
Nad M27‘s architecture is way better.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks!

Anyone who pays extra for "upgraded" internal wiring is just flushing their money down the toilet. (In this case the input wiring.) If you can get these high of numbers from those IDC (ribbon) cables, then any upgrade isn't going to make much of a difference. That's gotta be the cheapest copper in there, and what, 28-36AWG? :eek:

Andreas007

The other miss -- and a common one -- is use of stick on cable holders on the sides of the unit. Over time the glue gives up and they fall down. Screw hold downs should have been used instead.

You're absolutely right.
But I have to defend adhesives. ;)
These kind of cable holders fall down because they are - ironically - not suitable / properly designed for this task in this environment.
With the correct adhesive tape this would be no problem at all - even over decades of time.

Heck, even glass windows of skyscrapers are being bonded with adhesive tape nowadays.

wwenze

Major Contributor
I find it weird they use double-insulated wiring for the speaker out but not for mains AC

Speaking of mains AC... the bottom-left amp has the mains AC wire crossing over DC electronics...

They could have just rotated the board 180 degrees

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
AC route for the bottom third channel. AC is travelling on the same PCB as the input across that whole board. This should have had its own PCB or at least nice routing to keep the high voltage from arcing over to the inputs.

I'm not happy with that mains run either. It almost meets the basic specs, but there is a great deal that could have been done better.
The clearance along the main run is OK, but the creepage is not well controlled. There is a sharp corner (a no-no already) very close to the ground.

KJF Audio MA-01 teardown MC252MP Hypex.png

This isn't good already. But overall running mains, protected by nothing other than a fuse along a track like this is not good at all. Mains isn't just √2 * 110 or √2 * 240 volts. Most mains components are required to be rated for significant instantaneous voltages. One should be planing on meeting the requirements where there are things like inductive spikes on the mains. The relevant standard is IEC 60950. Very usefully an online calculator here provides instant guidance. This PCB has mains running right next to unearthed extra low voltage signals. The amp is specified for both 110 and 240V input. The upshot is that the minimum clearance for spec is 6.3mm between tracks. And it really means minimum. Even if the clearances were to spec, running mains supply down the PCB like breaks a lot of other design guidance. The live connector pins facing upwards is an unpleasant surprise waiting for anyone working on the amp.

This isn't the first cottage industry amplifier we have see that violates basics of safety design. It isn't a good look. Whilst it might be unaffordably expensive to get a UL or CE complaint testing done, this is no excuse not to design to standards so that would pass. If anything I would hope that deigners erred on the side of caution.

KJF audio

Audio Company
Thanks for this tear down Amir, I wanted to try and answer some of the points and why I did what I did.

Firstly it is always worth noting that there is always more that one way to skin a cat, some engineering decisions lead to necessary compromises and taking other decisions would always lead to another set of compromises. When designing something that is a flexible as can be without essentially being a ground up build each time it is a given that there will be some compromise so with that in mind I'll answer some of the point above

When I approached this design a few years back I took a good look round at the current offerings with the same modules, mostly they were similar to DIY designs but were cheap and then some much better designs from the bigger manufacturers but they were expensive. The thing that I really like about these modules is that Hypex provide an on board communications buss that can communicate temperature, power supply state/error, amp state/error, clipping and DC detection. They also rather handily have various aux voltages that can be used to power other stuff. I really wanted to be able to use all of that neat stuff and that meant having some sort of MCU reading those data and deciding what to then do with it. I decided to build a PCB with the MCU on board and also use it to do the routing etc. This makes it much quicker to assemble that wiring every XLR with hook up cable, and every power cable back to the IEC connector. Sure it is much more expensive and components that fit to PCBs are also more expensive but it saves time and makes things much more repeatable. Ultimately it gave me what I wanted, all the functionality I wanted to preserve, a semblance of neatness and still keep the price low. The final iteration after much messing about writing software I am pretty pleased with. Pressing the standby switch on the front powers the MCU (from the aux power on board 1) which then polls all the modules to ask them to switch out of standby one by one, when one module reports back that it is happy and stable, the MCU moves to the next one, preventing large in rush. If there is an error, the board is powered down and an error state is displayed in red on the front button ring. Once all the boards are on, they are constantly monitored for power errors, DC errors, temperature and clipping. All errors are again displayed on the front ring with a different flashing sequence. All errors are recorded in case of a return to base so diagnosis is easier. Temperature is monitored and if it goes above a fixed temp, the fans will start to turn slowly at first and increasing in speed with temperature until the temperature is bought under control. That said, it is a very rare set of circumstances that would bring the fans on. As you will all know these modules are very efficient (just over 80%) and they are very well heat sinked meaning little heat is produced. That said a couple of kW can still produce a significant amount of heat when the amps are pushed hard and I wanted a belt and braces approach. My main customer type has been for studios and for custom install home cinema where multiple amps are stacked in racks in equipment cupboards or rooms. I wanted to make sure that those customers had peace of mind that their amps would not over-heat. Nobody else offered this so hopefully it is a good USP. Finally We I could also use the MCU to look after 12V triggering. The LED round the button is also dimmable with by pressing and holding it in while it cycles through different brightnesses, letting go will store the brightness until next time it is changed.

I chose to use ribbon cable as the modules have a ribbon/IDC connection themselves so at some point there has to be a ribbon cable involved. I used the best quality copper ribbon I could find at 28 AWG (biggest that will fit) and IDC connectors with gold plated pins for what it is worth. While not quite as good as twisted pairs the signal lines all have GND wires between them which is how sensitive PC cabling works. In tests this was good.

The PCB itself is split into 3 different GDN pour areas so I could control the way XLR connectors were connected to the chassis. The XLR shield/shells need connecting to the chassis which in turn needs to be connectected to the safety earth and the 0V needs to be connected to safety as well but critically at a different point so different PCB areas are essential. It is much easier to repeatedly get this right with a PCB that with cables. The power also needs distributing as well so this is also in it's own PCB section kept well away from any signals, effectively just a pair of wires form one side of the case to the other without having to run more cables around the case. It was pointed out above that the sticky cable tie bases aren't great, and it is true, they are not ideal so having as few cables as possible running around is the best way to do it. In busy multi channel build like this you will always end up with cables where you don't like them. Lastly I wanted to pay particular attention to the earth bonding, many of these cheaper boxes just rely on the connection of the panels together and then don't really bother getting any certification done in an effort to keep prices down. I wanted to be able to CE mark these so I needed to ensure this was bullet proof, Each panels gets it's own earth cable, all are cinched to the chassis with star washers. Amir you mentioned about the one on the back panel, if you took the screw out you would see the anodising removed with a reamer and the star washer used results for all panels were less than 0.0126 Ohms.

I'm sure more stuff will come to mind that might be interesting for me to post and I will try and keep an eye on the thread but there are about a million audio forums :p

Stefan

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Lastly I wanted to pay particular attention to the earth bonding, many of these cheaper boxes just rely on the connection of the panels together and then don't really bother getting any certification done in an effort to keep prices down. I wanted to be able to CE mark these so I needed to ensure this was bullet proof, Each panels gets it's own earth cable, all are cinched to the chassis with star washers. Amir you mentioned about the one on the back panel, if you took the screw out you would see the anodising removed with a reamer and the star washer used results for all panels were less than 0.0126 Ohms.

I see the left and right side and the rear panel getting a chassis earth, and, by extension perhaps the base panel and the front panel via the right angle brackets and screws. The top panel has no connection to earth (unless there is a separate cable which @amirm removed (and flicked up the term block lever) to take off the top cover) as the 6 screw/nut arrangement sits in anodized slide channels in the extrusion. The earth connection from the IEC is also broken via the terminal block spring connection arrangement instead of going straight to chassis. And it is a spade terminal from the IEC.

I don't like a full width run of mains across the rear PCB at all. Or the runs of single insulated mains around the cabinet.

The front power switch/LED ring soldering looks poor and un-covered (heatshrink). Yes, I know it's LV, but it looks half finished.

Agree with the zip tie having nasty sharp ends. One of my pet hates too. Buy yourself one of the these:
cable tie gun.jpeg

Other than that, it appears just like any other guy screwing boring Hypex modules in a box with more holes in the base plate than Swiss cheese. If this is the course of amplification going forward, it's depressing.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The top panel has no connection to earth (unless there is a separate cable which @amirm removed (and flicked up the term block lever) to take off the top cover)
I did indeed remove that grounding wire. Good eyes there! :)

laidick

Forum Donor
Thanks for this tear down Amir, I wanted to try and answer some of the points and why I did what I did.

Firstly it is always worth noting that there is always more that one way to skin a cat, some engineering decisions lead to necessary compromises and taking other decisions would always lead to another set of compromises. When designing something that is a flexible as can be without essentially being a ground up build each time it is a given that there will be some compromise so with that in mind I'll answer some of the point above

When I approached this design a few years back I took a good look round at the current offerings with the same modules, mostly they were similar to DIY designs but were cheap and then some much better designs from the bigger manufacturers but they were expensive. The thing that I really like about these modules is that Hypex provide an on board communications buss that can communicate temperature, power supply state/error, amp state/error, clipping and DC detection. They also rather handily have various aux voltages that can be used to power other stuff. I really wanted to be able to use all of that neat stuff and that meant having some sort of MCU reading those data and deciding what to then do with it. I decided to build a PCB with the MCU on board and also use it to do the routing etc. This makes it much quicker to assemble that wiring every XLR with hook up cable, and every power cable back to the IEC connector. Sure it is much more expensive and components that fit to PCBs are also more expensive but it saves time and makes things much more repeatable. Ultimately it gave me what I wanted, all the functionality I wanted to preserve, a semblance of neatness and still keep the price low. The final iteration after much messing about writing software I am pretty pleased with. Pressing the standby switch on the front powers the MCU (from the aux power on board 1) which then polls all the modules to ask them to switch out of standby one by one, when one module reports back that it is happy and stable, the MCU moves to the next one, preventing large in rush. If there is an error, the board is powered down and an error state is displayed in red on the front button ring. Once all the boards are on, they are constantly monitored for power errors, DC errors, temperature and clipping. All errors are again displayed on the front ring with a different flashing sequence. All errors are recorded in case of a return to base so diagnosis is easier. Temperature is monitored and if it goes above a fixed temp, the fans will start to turn slowly at first and increasing in speed with temperature until the temperature is bought under control. That said, it is a very rare set of circumstances that would bring the fans on. As you will all know these modules are very efficient (just over 80%) and they are very well heat sinked meaning little heat is produced. That said a couple of kW can still produce a significant amount of heat when the amps are pushed hard and I wanted a belt and braces approach. My main customer type has been for studios and for custom install home cinema where multiple amps are stacked in racks in equipment cupboards or rooms. I wanted to make sure that those customers had peace of mind that their amps would not over-heat. Nobody else offered this so hopefully it is a good USP. Finally We I could also use the MCU to look after 12V triggering. The LED round the button is also dimmable with by pressing and holding it in while it cycles through different brightnesses, letting go will store the brightness until next time it is changed.

I chose to use ribbon cable as the modules have a ribbon/IDC connection themselves so at some point there has to be a ribbon cable involved. I used the best quality copper ribbon I could find at 28 AWG (biggest that will fit) and IDC connectors with gold plated pins for what it is worth. While not quite as good as twisted pairs the signal lines all have GND wires between them which is how sensitive PC cabling works. In tests this was good.

The PCB itself is split into 3 different GDN pour areas so I could control the way XLR connectors were connected to the chassis. The XLR shield/shells need connecting to the chassis which in turn needs to be connectected to the safety earth and the 0V needs to be connected to safety as well but critically at a different point so different PCB areas are essential. It is much easier to repeatedly get this right with a PCB that with cables. The power also needs distributing as well so this is also in it's own PCB section kept well away from any signals, effectively just a pair of wires form one side of the case to the other without having to run more cables around the case. It was pointed out above that the sticky cable tie bases aren't great, and it is true, they are not ideal so having as few cables as possible running around is the best way to do it. In busy multi channel build like this you will always end up with cables where you don't like them. Lastly I wanted to pay particular attention to the earth bonding, many of these cheaper boxes just rely on the connection of the panels together and then don't really bother getting any certification done in an effort to keep prices down. I wanted to be able to CE mark these so I needed to ensure this was bullet proof, Each panels gets it's own earth cable, all are cinched to the chassis with star washers. Amir you mentioned about the one on the back panel, if you took the screw out you would see the anodising removed with a reamer and the star washer used results for all panels were less than 0.0126 Ohms.

I'm sure more stuff will come to mind that might be interesting for me to post and I will try and keep an eye on the thread but there are about a million audio forums :p

Stefan
It always have rooms to improve in the earth.
But given the price point and the functionality in this module, there is nothing in the market are close to this build.

Very well done indeed.

Top Bottom