• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Raspberry Pi for Wireless Streaming

• Thread starter Deleted member 23424
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23424

Howdo All

Given my room/budget etc I'm more than happy with my current rig. You lot steered me well on the speakers and DAC. And after a bit of buying, selling and demoing I've finally found an amplification solution that works well in my awkward room (glass down one side, L shaped, kitchen off to other side).

The only area I'm not entirely satisfied with is how I'm feeding my DAC.

Currently, i have a Surface Pro 4 sending Qobuz into my DAC. The screen of which is an absolute nightmare (look up Flickergate, its a whole sorry story) so I'm looking at options to replace it.

I know lots of folk use R Pi as streamers. So, I'm thinking that's probably my best cost to performance solution (meaning I can buy a desktop pc for all other computing needs).

However, my hifi is nowhere near my router; meaning wireless comes into play.

I've seen various ways of using a Pi, various software solutions and numerous physical makeups.

Can anyone advise me on my best options?
Is WiFi possible without sacrificing fidelity?
Is it a headless solution?
Do I need hdmi to the TV?
Etc etc

I'm sure there will be a thread or website that someone might be able to point me to, but so far I'm just uncovering too many similar methods that I don't have the experience to identify the best from.

Much obliged.

Current set up:
Revel Concerta2 M16
Topping D90
Musical Fidelity A3cr Pre and Power Amps
Windows Surface Pro 4 (though I may stamp it to death any minute)

threni

Major Contributor
Howdo All

Given my room/budget etc I'm more than happy with my current rig. You lot steered me well on the speakers and DAC. And after a bit of buying, selling and demoing I've finally found an amplification solution that works well in my awkward room (glass down one side, L shaped, kitchen off to other side).

The only area I'm not entirely satisfied with is how I'm feeding my DAC.

Currently, i have a Surface Pro 4 sending Qobuz into my DAC. The screen of which is an absolute nightmare (look up Flickergate, its a whole sorry story) so I'm looking at options to replace it.

I know lots of folk use R Pi as streamers. So, I'm thinking that's probably my best cost to performance solution (meaning I can buy a desktop pc for all other computing needs).

However, my hifi is nowhere near my router; meaning wireless comes into play.

I've seen various ways of using a Pi, various software solutions and numerous physical makeups.

Can anyone advise me on my best options?
Is WiFi possible without sacrificing fidelity?
Is it a headless solution?
Do I need hdmi to the TV?
Etc etc

I'm sure there will be a thread or website that someone might be able to point me to, but so far I'm just uncovering too many similar methods that I don't have the experience to identify the best from.

Much obliged.

Current set up:
Revel Concerta2 M16
Topping D90
Musical Fidelity A3cr Pre and Power Amps
Windows Surface Pro 4 (though I may stamp it to death any minute)

One solution is "ethernet over mains". You get a pair of plugs; connect the ethernet from the router to one plug, and in the other room by the hifi plug into the mains socket the other plug and connect an ethernet cable from that directly into your device. It's encrypted and there's no config - just plug it in and it's exactly the same as plugging it directly into your router. I've been using this solution for years. The destination device in my case is an old router from a previous broadband contract which I'm using to provide wifi as well as more ethernet sockets as I have a raspberry pi 4 in the same room as part of my hifi and Pis have terrible (weak) wifi. With this solution I have easily a good enough wifi to control my headless Pi, which is connected to my DAC. I'm playing music locally (hard drive connected to the pi) but you could stream this way if you are happy with a couple of megabytes per second. You might want to get a Pi with an ethernet socket and plug that into the ethernet-over-mains plug and get a better connection. I'm using raspberry pi os, headless (ssh to manage; (free open source) mpd on the pi controlled by the (free open source) android app m.a.l.p.

Top Bottom