• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice re: new HT/music (~80/20) Revel system

MarcR

Forum Donor
Hi everyone, first post here!

I have been lurking in the audiophile forum community - avforums, AVS Forums, and others - for a few months to learn enough to decide what to buy. I came across ASR a few weeks ago and have spent much time here - the focus on science, measurement, and objectivity have helped me to overcome some of my analysis paralysis.

Currently I have some old audio gear and a great new TV in a pretty good 3,300 sq ft room:
  • LCR: Cambridge Soundworks MC300
  • SL/SR: Cambridge Soundworks S300
  • Sub: Velodyne 80-EQM12BV EQ-MAX
  • AVR: Denon AVR-2311CI (7.1-capable, 105 w/ch)
  • TV: LG CX 77
  • Room: 22' x 17' x 9' with 9' of windows centered on one of the short ends and an 8' x 3' closet narrowing the other short end to 14'. Carpeted.
HT with Atmos is the motivation for a new audio system, but I also want sublime music reproduction. AV sources will be heavily weighted toward streaming services. Long term I don't see myself tinkering with the system much after a (possibly prolonged) acquisition and setup period. Budget is flexible - want to get good value to a point of diminishing returns.

I want to standardize on Revel speakers as they appear to offer high quality products in a range of form factors with competitive performance at each price point. A wide listening window is important to me, and the 3-way centers seem to test much better in that regard, so I have penciled in the C208 center. I'm leaning toward floor-standing units for ease of installation and adjustment. Here are some bed configurations that seem plausible to me:
  • 5.1 multi-series: F226Be x 2, C208, F35 x 2 - $10.6K
  • 5.1 Performa3: F208 x 2, C208, F206 x 2 - $10.5K
  • 5.1 max uniformity: F206 x 4, C208 - $9K
  • 7.1 multi-series: F206 x 2, C208, F35 x 4 - $10.2K
I have penciled in two SVS SB-3000 subs. They seem to be high-quality products distinguished especially by the ability to adjust them with the app while listening in the MLP. I like that they are smaller and lighter than their ported versions, but I could fit the PB-3000 products in the room if they would add a lot to the HT experience without taking a big step back in 2.2 music performance.

For height speakers, I'm thinking two pair of the Revel M55XC reviewed here.

For AVR, I'm considering four options:
  • Denon AVR-X3700H if not Auro-3D processing of stereo music
  • Denon AVR-X4700H if Auro-3D
  • Denon AVR-X8500H more amplification and channel by channel flexibility
  • Delay height speakers and second sub to get a 2021 Denon next fall
Questions:
  1. What do you think about floor standing surrounds?
  2. What do you think of the similarly priced bed speaker configurations? Do some stand out as particularly strong or weak ideas? What would you recommend to me?
  3. Does 7.1 add much value in a room this size with wide dispersion Revel surrounds and a single row of seating?
  4. Are the M55XC's a good choice for HT?
  5. Should I prioritize Auro-3D processing of stereo music? If so, how important is mounting the height speakers high on the walls rather than on the ceiling? How much of a drawback would such a placement be for Atmos HT use?
  6. Are two SVS 3000s a good choice? Should I go sealed or ported?
  7. Can an AVR do justice to the 6.5" speakers rated for 50-200 watts? How about the 8" speakers rated for 50-350 watts? Should I plan on amplifying all three of LCR even if I use the F226be or F206 for LR?
Of course, I'm open to any advice you're inspired to share!

iw655321

At least up to the volume levels I ever listen at (35-50 on its 0-100 scale), the Denon AVR-X3700H is more than powerful enough to drive Revel F226Be fronts for stereo listening, and also as part of a 5.1 system for home theater. A single SVS SB-3000 is also more than sufficient in this room — medium-sized with a high ceiling, opening into an adjacent room. Going above and beyond that will probably yield some modest improvements, but I’m completely satisfied with “just” that setup!

OP
MarcR

MarcR

Forum Donor
Thanks for the response, @iw655321.

I wound up ordering Revel F226Be x 2, F426Be, F35 x 2, Rythmik E15HP2 x 2. I also ordered a UMIK-2 mic and a miniDSP 2x4 HD for subwoofer integration. Really excited!

After digesting the bed layer and subs, I plan to order height speakers and an Atmos-capable receiver.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the response, @iw655321.

I wound up ordering Revel F226Be x 2, F426Be, F35 x 2, Rythmik E15HP2 x 2. I also ordered a UMIK-2 mic and a miniDSP 2x4 HD for subwoofer integration. Really excited!

After digesting the bed layer and subs, I plan to order height speakers and an Atmos-capable receiver.
Sounds like a good start....why sealed particularly?

OP
MarcR

MarcR

Forum Donor
I chose sealed to optimize the ratio of output to cabinet volume. The E15HP2 doesn't appear in the Output comparison list on this page, but if it did, its +6.5db output relative to the F12 baseline product would place it between the FVX12 (+4.5db, 29% larger) and the FVX15 (+8db, 85% larger) ported products.

I envision keeping these subs a long time and would like to maximize deployment flexibility.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I chose sealed to optimize the ratio of output to cabinet volume. The E15HP2 doesn't appear in the Output comparison list on this page, but if it did, it's +6.5db output relative to the F12 baseline product would place it between the FVX12 (+4.5db, 29% larger) and the FVX15 (+8db, 85% larger) ported products.

I envision keeping these subs a long time and would like to maximize deployment flexibility.

Always curious as cabinet volume isn't a problem for me particularly, but then again big builds and finishing them and moving them around, meh... :)

Top Bottom