• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrating Subwoofers for genelec 8030c

theshade

I ordered genelec 8030cs. Since the output is limited I want each speaker to crossover to a sub. However, the genelec 7050 is way over priced in my country. What sub do you recommend?

I am thinking of connecting one sub to to one speaker so that it will function as one unit. How do I connect them? Left cable from interface(or av receiver) to sub 1 input then another cable to the left speaker? Right cable from interface(or av receiver) to sub 2 input then another cable to the right speaker? Is that possible with studio subs for example the jbl 310s or the krk 10s. Then I will use my home theater subs using the lfe of the av receiver..

Essentially the subs will just extend the range of the genelecs for music. Then I can use my home theater subs along with them for movies.

Hoping for some suggestions. I have also read that I could instead get a minidsp to use as a crossover but I assume it to be way harder than connecting to studio subs that have automatic high pass. Thanks.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I ordered genelec 8030cs. Since the output is limited I want each speaker to crossover to a sub. However, the genelec 7050 is way over priced in my country. What sub do you recommend?

I am thinking of connecting one sub to to one speaker so that it will function as one unit. How do I connect them? Left cable from interface(or av receiver) to sub 1 input then another cable to the left speaker? Right cable from interface(or av receiver) to sub 2 input then another cable to the right speaker? Is that possible with studio subs for example the jbl 310s or the krk 10s. Then I will use my home theater subs using the lfe of the av receiver..

Essentially the subs will just extend the range of the genelecs for music. Then I can use my home theater subs along with them for movies.

Hoping for some suggestions. I have also read that I could instead get a minidsp to use as a crossover but I assume it to be way harder than connecting to studio subs that have automatic high pass. Thanks.
Actually setting crossovers in minidsp is quite easy. Also, you can do room correction in minidsp, and using it increases your choice of subs, so I would recommend that route

OP
T

theshade

Thanks. I will look into that also. But for now I would like to have easier plug and play options. I have to order abroad for the mic etc if I go minidsp route. No dealer in my country. Any more suggestions?

Aerith Gainsborough

Yes, if you want it simple and not use an AVR with pre-outs, Source -> Sub -> Speaker, while letting the sub do the crossover filtering is pretty much your only option.

OP
T

theshade

Unfortunately the genelec subs are way overpriced in my country. Other subs also are but since they have lower msrp they are priced lower. For example the jbl 310s cost about $620 dollars, the genelec 7040 cost $1200, the genelec 7050 cost $1715 at current exchange rates. JBL, krk, adam , and yamaha are available here. I had decided on JBLs (because harman - assumed quality) but when I looked at online reviews on merchant sites a lot say that it died after a while and there were a lot of dead on arrivals.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So you already have an AV receiver and multiple subs? Why not leverage those? You can just set the Genelecs to small, crossover to 80Hz, and the n feed everything below 80 Hz to the subs mixed with the LFE (if available). What do you think to gain with yet another sub?

Also, I think those Genelec subs are really meant for studio work. Those things have tiny woofers compared to "regular" subs. At close distance, that is probably fine, but in a larger room, they will probably struggle with high output.

OP
T

theshade

I have two subs in my main system but due to covid I am not living there and they probably are not good with mid bass. I am looking for a sub that I can use in my parents home thaht easily integrates with the genelecs that I can later transfer to my main system. I guess I'm looking for a poor mans w371a. The home theater subs are gigantic compared to studio subs. One is an Adire Audio Tempest 15" driver in a 122L sealed enclosure. The other is 4 and a half feet long lported tuned to 23 hz at lowest gain I tested with radioshack spl meter is 115 db at 25 hz using test tones.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, so it's not the same setup. What is your source for the Genelec's then? Also an AV receiver? If so, you can still have that do the bass management. Then any regular subwoofer will do quite well. Probably good to go for something closed.

Any budget and size constraints?

OP
T

theshade

I am using a computer for both but the main system uses an av receiver. What i have now in the place I am currently is an audient evo 4 audio interface.

No size constraints. Bigger the better. Max is about 1k US. Hope it is under $650 for landed price here.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
T

theshade

I have also looked at that before but there are no measurements for studio subs except for 1 krk. Are you saying that I should look at home theater subwoofers? How will I integrate them with the 8030c using an audio interface? Do studio subwoofers offer anything besides connectivity and ease of integration? Is using a minidsp really better than using studio subwoofers?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What makes a sub a studio sub? It's mostly marketing and XLR connectors ;)

I don't think you don't need too many bells and whistles. The Genelec's already have dip switches to reduce bass output. A simple Y-cable to split to sub and Genelec should be enough.

Another interesting one might be SVS SB-1000 PRO. It already has a DSP, so you can save the MiniDSP. It's pretty crazy what you get for so little money.

Last edited:
OP
T

theshade

What makes a sub a studio sub? It's mostly marketing and XLR connectors ;)

I don't think you don't need too many bells and whistles. The Genelec's already have dip switches to reduce bass output. A simple Y-cable to split to sub and Genelec should be enough.

Another interesting one might be SVS SB-1000 PRO. It already has a DSP, so you can save the MiniDSP. It's pretty crazy what you get for so little money.

Can you elaborate on the y-cable? How do I do my connections using the audient evo 4 and genelec 8030c and any home theater sub. SVS is also overpriced here but sometimes I can find them in the used market.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you elaborate on the y-cable? How do I do my connections using the audient evo 4 and genelec 8030c and any home theater sub.

It's just a splitter cable that goes into your monitor outputs, and gives you two XLR connections per channel. Those you hook up to the sub and Genelecs (sub with converter to RCA). Something like this. There are also variant with TRS.

SVS is also overpriced here but sometimes I can find them in the used market.

You ask Dollars, I search Dollars ;) So what is your real location (if you are willing to divulge that, otherwise the continent might also do)?

OP
T

theshade

It's just a splitter cable that goes into your monitor outputs, and gives you two XLR connections per channel. Those you hook up to the sub and Genelecs (sub with converter to RCA). Something like this. There are also variant with TRS.

You ask Dollars, I search Dollars ;) So what is your real location (if you are willing to divulge that, otherwise the continent might also do)?

Sorry I am still confused. Can you specifcy for example how I will connect the one you linked. For example audient evo what cable to speakers then what cablefrom speakers to sub. Audient evo - trs to male xlr -genelec sub - male xlr to male xlr - genelec 8030c. Sorry it is my first time using active and I am way confused. With the passives before I just use extension wire cord bare from the hardware. Thanks a lot.

I am from the Philippines.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Code:
EVO -> TRS -> XLR -> Genelec
           -> XLR -> XLR/RCA -> Sub
     \____________/ Y-cable TRS to 2x XLR
                   \_________/ XLR to RCA

You'll need to search a bit for the correct cable I guess. Worst case you could make your own if you have a bit of soldering skills.

Can't help you with the Philippines :( Possibly somebody else can.

Last edited:

mkawa

i wasn't impressed with the 7050. i think the primary advantage of it was that it would do 5 channels of xlr out, and my pricing was much better than yours. also, the bass was very boomy and there weren't enough controls on it to do room correction. it has a fixed crossover of 85hz (high for an 80x0 larger than an 8020), and generally was unsatisfying. also, it's crazy huge and heavy.

the svs dsp controls are fantastic. the 3000 micro integrated much better but didn't have quite enough gain to be run at proportional line level as the 80x0s. a larger svs should integrate quite well. the kef micro might also work well.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
Welcome!
From Amir's review and usual Genelec speakers' performance and reputation, I can assume that the 8030C are excellent. I would think it wise, not to ask to play loud HT in a large room. I will from that point assume that you want to use them in a medium to small room.
I would suggest a pair of SVS Pro as subs. Period. Use your AVR to integrate them with the 8030C. I would suggest an AVR that supports Audyssey Xt32 with the $20 smartphone App. This combination represents IMO one of the better return on investment and audio quality you could have ...
Now if you want to spend more, the better combo would be a pair of Rythmik FM8, those are specially made to play from the low bass to the mid-bass > 300 Hz IIRC. This Rythmik FM 8 Discussion in ASR would give you some ideas, in particular post #4. Several people use these here.

Another thing to keep in mind is that integration of subs and mains are never easy or plug and play. Regardless of marketing or enthusiastic and/or satisfied users/audiophiles claims, it takes a lot of time. Abandon hopes of plug and play. Audyssey will take you very far but you will need to tinker, measure and tinker to reach the promised nirvana.

If you don't have these yet. Download the free and spectacular REW (make a contribution) and acquire a miniDSP UMik1. Learn REW and how to measure. The basics are learned rather rapidly but, for the rest, the curve is a bit steep. People here will guide you , or better read through ASR and continue to ask questions.

Peace!

txbdan

I'm currently running my 8030Cs with a MOTU M4 and an old Emotive Ultra10 sub. The M4 has dual outputs (one XLR, one RCA, effectively a splitter) so I'm running the XLR to my 8030Cs and the RCA to the sub. I used the bass roll off dip switches on the Genelecs to cut off the low end a bit and fiddled with the crossover settings on the sub using REW RTA. It's working find for all intents and purposes.

That said, I ordered a B Stock JBL LSR310S last week to use instead. It'll be simpler and cleaner using the sub to crossover itself and the Genelecs. This is in my 12x13' office so SPL should be fine. I'll report back when its setup.

Oh and I use DiracLive on the my computer for room correction. It doesn't do anything with crossovers, it just corrects the L+sub and R+sub.

Top Bottom