• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
A little ol' Dynaco ST-35 power amp with 6BQ5 peanut pentodes. I'm trying the Dave Gillespie EFB mod on it.

Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

JP

Major Contributor
IMG_6717.jpeg

sabristol

Forum Donor
Just finishing a Luxman L-190
4.jpeg

Cleaned, repaired, re-biased, plus full Nichicon recap:
1 (1).jpeg

2 (1).jpeg

And then carried out some testing:

Luxman L-190 Frequency Response.png

Frequency response is in OEM spec (Aux in) :)

Whereas the phono stage......seems a little on the warm side.
Luxman L-190 Frequency Response MM Phono.png

Luxman L-190 Power vs THD.png

Rated power and THD are within factory spec :)
Screenshot 2021-04-05 at 20.49.10.png

More testing to do before advertising on eBay.

Attachments

• Luxman L-190 Power vs THD 200Hz 1kHz 5kHZ.png
    Luxman L-190 Power vs THD 200Hz 1kHz 5kHZ.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Seem to be in the range UK £130 - £150.
Well.. It's good they can be refurb'd and brought back from the edge to operational condition. :D Luxman near always had a couple of extra features that make it that bit nicer.

JP

Major Contributor
Technics EPA-100 bearing repair. This damage is from applying too much torque while tightening the headshell collar. This will get Si3N4 balls.

1P1000210 2-SharpenAI-focus 2.jpg

2P1000177-SharpenAI-focus 2.jpg

3P1000192-SharpenAI-focus 2.jpg

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Squeezing a Neurochrome Guardian-686 into my Hypex MC502MP to improve power up/down...
3EEE80A3-C001-4EFF-A1C7-E409EFEE5BB9.jpeg

Not crazy about some of the routing of the wiring, but not much choice as there was only one spot that the power board would fit.

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Squeezing a Neurochrome Power-686 into my Hypex MC502MP to improve power up/down...
View attachment 125275

Not crazy about some of the routing of the wiring, but not much choice as there was only one spot that the power board would fit.
What does that added board do?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oops, wrong Neurochrome board name (I fixed). I added to handle the nasty pop I would often get when I powered down my Hypex amp. The amp module was bought about a year ago and Hypex has since revised and improved.

I could have gotten a warranty replacement, but shipping the amp back was pricey. Hypex had suggested a relay, but know Tom does good work and wanted to be sure the fix was worthy. :)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Oops, wrong Neurochrome board name (I fixed). I added to handle the nasty pop I would often get when I powered down my Hypex amp. The amp module was bought about a year ago and Hypex has since revised and improved.

I could have gotten a warranty replacement, but shipping the amp back was pricey. Hypex had suggested a relay, but know Tom does good work and wanted to be sure the fix was worthy. :)
Thanks, that makes sense. I'd still be curious what the cause of the original problem was that Hypex fixed, and how they fixed it.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, that makes sense. I'd still be curious what the cause of the original problem was that Hypex fixed, and how they fixed it.

yes, would like that too, but Hypex was not that forthcoming. :(

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Squeezing a Neurochrome Guardian-686 into my Hypex MC502MP to improve power up/down...
View attachment 125275

And that wiring is not going to work at all! 1% distortion before hitting 10 watts :eek:...

Was hoping I might avoid having to redo all of the speaker output wiring from the amp, but apparently have no choice.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
And that wiring is not going to work at all! 1% distortion before hitting 10 watts :eek:...

Was hoping I might avoid having to redo all of the speaker output wiring from the amp, but apparently have no choice.

Do you have some plots, measurements?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have some plots, measurements?

I did, but no use to post. I elevated the board away from the coils and all is good again...

Am planning to reroute that wiring. Do you have other suggestion?

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
You are right, the distance is the best cure. So maybe to re-arrange the boards placement? Low level signals should be far from output binding posts and power supply components.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are right, the distance is the best cure. So maybe to re-arrange the boards placement? Low level signals should be far from output binding posts and power supply components.

Understood, but no room in existing case. If next round does not work, may have to mount externally. :oops:

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Shielding of signal cables, not only twisting.

Top Bottom