• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4349 Review (Studio Monitor Speaker)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have. SVS Ultra comes to mind.
Funny enough, I was on another forum and a user was asking for alternatives as their newly bought Ultra’s weren’t doing it for them:
In some ways they sound neutral with male vocals but then in some movies when females talk there is so much harsh sibilance. Also with electronic music they are very bright and fatiguing.

Here are my graphs for them but updated to the correct scaling:
Spinorama 37.png
Horizontal Directivity 33.png
Horizontal Directivity Normalized 36.png
Vertical Directivity 34.png
Vertical Directivity Normalized 34.png

So while their preference rating was pretty good, I don’t think anyone is unable to comprehend that they could sound bright, especially around 3kHz.

sarakyel

In the M2 at least, the design axis is the logo between the drivers. I'd assume it was the same here with 4349. I guess they're designed to stand on small stands that are a little bit tilted backwards, which makes sense looking at your plot @TimVG

Actually here in Europe the Harman pro team sells them as mid-field monitors meant to be placed on a high stand (straight, with the top of the woofer at eye level), forming up a 2.5 to 3.5 meters sided "listening triangle". They sound very neutral in that setup, basically like M2's that would be high-pass filtered from 80Hz.

The upcoming 4309 are supposed to offer the exact same level of performance (high dynamics with low distortion) in a near-field setup. Can't wait for the measurements of these !

LearningToSmile

The performance to me looks acceptable for the sheer benefit of how cool it looks. Nothing that seems unfixable at least. Surprised by the tweeter distortion maybe but it's not that bad, just unexpected. As for the price/performance, well, I can't afford it anytime soon anyway, so I can ignore that for now.

@amirm JBL 4367 next? ;)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The 4349 allowed me to get there and so points to high efficiency mattering. People routinely underestimate how much power it takes to reproduce dynamics well. Even my high power amplifier struggles to push the Salon 2 there. But with 4349, that struggle disappeared with a bunch of headroom left.
My experience too, and I bet the in room bass would have been much more impressive if the JBLs were in the Revel location, based on my previous experience.

Edit: I would add the low distortion at higher levels is non negligible too IMHO

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 1-6 kHz region is the exact opposite of my preferred stereo speaker. A lower energy 1-2 kHz in all angles compared to 2-5 kHz. Most likely it will sound a bit bright, edgy and hard in a typical stereo setup. Not anything I prefer in the long run.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting review! What first strikes me is the distortion plots, which show two things:

- For one, the bass between 50 and 100 Hz is very clean compared to lots of other speakers measured here. Most of them have smaller woofers. This shows what good PA drivers are made for. This one in particular seems to be also clean over a larger bandwidth, 1 kHz is too far, it seems.
- The compression driver is not a very low distortion device, even at 96 dB it reaches relatively high distortion in the HF. Luckily not audible, but most dome tweeters do better. They will obviously not have as much headroom. At 96 dB it's way below 1W of power still!

Otherwise not very special. If you look at 100 Hz and up, something like the Genelec 8050B is not doing worse, better even in some cases.

Something else that strikes me is the crossover point chosen here. It's a very modern and advanced 1.5" driver, they can be crossed quite a bit below 1 kHz. The horn/waveguide looks to be about 15" wide. That means that 800 Hz X-over or even a bit lower should be feasible, especially in a studio or home environment. That would have resolved the 1khz resonance, and the dip, and give better directivity.

In any case, for this kind of money, I would expect an active system!

xarkkon

Cool review! I always find these reviews where the objective and subjective impressions differ the most interesting.

I can see how dynamics could make up for poor tonality / technicality if that's what one is looking for. Guess I'll need to try something similar one day to hear what the hype is all about.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, it still has some beaming, but a ~5dB increase would for sure make it sound much more neutral. Oddly, the manual says the horn center should be ear level.

If Amir really wants to sell these, maybe he should remeasure them :p

That's probably correct but you have to take into account the listening distance. If you are on the acoustical axis but at 3-4m you'll only be a couple of degrees off the horn center as well. I wonder what would happen if you ask the NFS to compute the soundfield to 4 or 5 meter instead of 2m as shown here.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No way I would spend 7,000 usd on these. One can get some pretty good tower speakers with this money, like Revel F226Be (7k) or KEF R11 (5.5k) and still have money left for the amplifier.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here comes the (self-proclaimed) ROI brigade ....

I would think that a less expensive arguably uglier solution to this JBL speaker would be a pair of JBL very own JBL 708p on MonoPrice stands and a pair of SVS SB1000 Pro subwoofers plus DSP of choice ...

ducking .... but @Matias (perhaps others) had already posted :
No way I would spend 7,000 usd on these. One can get some pretty good tower speakers with this money, like Revel F226Be (7k) or KEF R11 (5.5k) and still have money left for the amplifier.

Pio

Forum Donor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Too much money for this kind of performance IMO.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oops. Kept thinking something was missing. :) Added it to the review:

index.php

Wow, I can understand liking the dynamics, but that trough between 1-2 kHz is butt ugly. It only gets worse off-axis. Also the port resonance is prominent right around there too!

Thanks for funding as it is an interesting data point, but no way I could justify spending anywhere near $7000 a pair for these. :eek:

Last edited:

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something else that strikes me is the crossover point chosen here. It's a very modern and advanced 1.5" driver, they can be crossed quite a bit below 1 kHz. The horn/waveguide looks to be about 15" wide. That means that 800 Hz X-over or even a bit lower should be feasible, especially in a studio or home environment. That would have resolved the 1khz resonance, and the dip, and give better directivity.

In any case, for this kind of money, I would expect an active system!
The bigger brother D2340k is struggling below 1500 hz and really stretching it in the M2 application to reach the 792 hz crossover at a steep LR 36 acoustic slope.
I think the crossover-point is good for the tweeter, but perhaps a couple of hundred hertz above the ideal for the 12" woofer.

Choosing to make a high-capacity speaker in this format makes for some compromises that may not be perfect on paper, but it looks to be a well thought-out design overall. Not perfect, but hey. Way cooler to have next to the telly than most slim-boxes. Picture from a random dude on the internet with fugly speakers to prove my point :D

JBL 4349 Review Professional Speaker.jpg

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks for the review Amir. I am impressed with the performance considering the cabinet has no curves and the main baffle is recessed a bit. Clever was the idea to set the horn a little proud of the baffle so they could avoid some reflections without killing the retro aesthetic. I agree with those stating that these are not the speakers to get if you want frequency response per dollar.

They are much better suited to the role of secondary speakers to pair with various tube amps, or vintage SS amps that don't like being shorted out at low impedance. That impedance curve looks outstanding for your 8 ohm taps. It is rare to see a true 8 ohm speaker with this kind of performance. They are produced in a low cost location and are smaller, more expensive, and probably less efficient than Klipsch Cornwalls, but close. Here you get perfect impedance, relatively outstanding FR in a smaller package, and different looks.

Top Bottom