• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 DAC & Headphone Amplifier Review and Measurements

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I’d take my JBL 705p’s over the kef LS50 any day of the week.. I’m no JBL fan boy but they piss all over the kef , I think the kef is one of the most overrated speakers Iv ever heard tbh.

Nice crown , might be too heavy for amir though :D
Have you compared both side by side in your room?
Keith

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you compared both side by side in your room?
Keith
I haven't but have heard all the JBL's in one room at Harman blind. I own the M2 and 708P's.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Just for reference here are the scans of the measurements that came with my DX7.

dx7-measurements-combined.png

Disruptor

could i use the dx7 as a headphone amp and as a preamp(volume control) for my active speakers?
is there a mode that controls the volume on the xlr/rca outs?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
could i use the dx7 as a headphone amp and as a preamp(volume control) for my active speakers?
is there a mode that controls the volume on the xlr/rca outs?
Yes, and yes. :) See similar answer in the DX7s thread. There are three modes of operation which control whether the volume control is applied to the rear jacks or not.

FunctionalDoc

Will this amp/Dac have problems with my HE-400i's at 32 ohms or my Aeon'r closed at 13 ohms?

I know ill be fine ZMF Auteur teak at 300 ohms.

Any experience using the amp section with the first 2 lower impedance headphones?

dc655321

Major Contributor
Will this amp/Dac have problems with my HE-400i's at 32 ohms or my Aeon'r closed at 13 ohms?

Innerfidelity measurements of those 'phones impedances shows them as flat.
You should not have frequency response issues, but with the Aeon you will see half of the amp's voltage dropped internally across its 10 Ohm output impedance.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After purchasing a D50 DAC for my PC setup to drive my KRK Rokit 6 G2 powered speakers I thought it would be nice to take advantage of the XLR balanced inputs and also picked up a DX7. (May help alleviate possible noise issues.) The headphone amp was a definite plus. I chose the DX7 over the DX7s based upon Amir's reviews; saving $85 was also nice.

I'll decide which to keep once I have them in hand. I'll sell the other here.

Any issue driving Sennheiser HD598s with the DX7?

Martin

sssn

The HD598 is actually one of the most sensitive full-sized headphones when it comes to high output impedance due to its huge impedance spike at around 100Hz. It will sound a bit bassier from the DX7 and its 10 Ohm output impedance

dc655321

Major Contributor
The HD598 is actually one of the most sensitive full-sized headphones when it comes to high output impedance due to its huge impedance spike at around 100Hz. It will sound a bit bassier from the DX7 and its 10 Ohm output impedance

Isn't that just 20*log(300/(300+10)) = -0.3 dB down at 100 Hz?

Jimster480

Major Contributor

I know ill be fine ZMF Auteur teak at 300 ohms.

Any experience using the amp section with the first 2 lower impedance headphones?

I use mine with my Aon closed all the time with no problems. I can't tell any difference vs my o2 and actually with certain high frequencies it sounds a tad cleaner but it could be volume mismatch.

FunctionalDoc

Well came today and they pulled the switch a roo on me an sent me the Dx7s with no remote instead of the DX7 with remote. I am going to ask they said me a remote since I though I was getting one. I guess not too bad since got the newer model for $339 delivered.

Is the fast filter mode the best setup ?

FunctionalDoc

What driver will work with Windows 7 Pro with DX7s? Don't see one for on Topping's site. Using the USB interface.

Thanks

FunctionalDoc

Thanks, Now bumed didn't get the remote so I am requesting they send me remote when available. Thanks Jimster480 and Amir

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Well came today and they pulled the switch a roo on me an sent me the Dx7s with no remote instead of the DX7 with remote. I am going to ask they said me a remote since I though I was getting one. I guess not too bad since got the newer model for $339 delivered.

Is the fast filter mode the best setup ?
I personally use the mini filter.
Its a shame since the DX7 is technically better than the DX7S. But if you get a free remote with it then its comparable.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just received my DX7s today. I ordered a DX7 on Ali Express and they sent me a DX7s. Paid $335.99 for it so while I'm not thrilled they sent me the wrong unit I'm happy I received a DX7s at that price.

Time to try it out...

Martin

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I just received my DX7s today. I ordered a DX7 on Ali Express and they sent me a DX7s. Paid $335.99 for it so while I'm not thrilled they sent me the wrong unit I'm happy I received a DX7s at that price.

Time to try it out...

Martin
Shame that vendors are selling DX7's and then sending people DX7S

Top Bottom