• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandymc

Yes, and I am saying that I am donwloading NON MQA encoded FLACs from Tidal releases with Master quality without a problem, and using MQA_Identifier to confirm that they are not encoded with MQA. When I download the "Master" version, it correctly identifies it as MQA encoded.

Ok, thanks, that's useful.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Yes - of course I have not tested everything on Tidal, but from my sample yes. Using https://github.com/purpl3F0x/MQA_identifier for this and still haven't found an instance where I couldn't get a non MQA 16/44 FLAC. So definitely the information I quoted in my previous post is not correct.

If someone wants me to check a specific release on Tidal I'm happy to do it.

Moby Play
Coldplay Pachutes

snowsurfer

Moby Play
Coldplay Pachutes

Coldplay is MQA, Moby is not.

1618992958400.png

1618992996477.png

Reactions: GDK

snowsurfer

If it's from Warner, highly likely no plain 16/44.1 available. :)

Iron Maiden is on Warner and none of theirs that I tested are MQA, not even the remasters. Haven't tested every single release but the ones I listen to the most. I have them all on vinyl and CD anyway, but tested just to see.

Reactions: GDK

awdeeoh

Iron Maiden is on Warner and none of theirs that I tested are MQA, not even the remasters. Haven't tested every single release but the ones I listen to the most. I have them all on vinyl and CD anyway, but tested just to see.

You from US?

Some Moby is MQA on UK

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
I checked this with the Tidal downloader from Github and haven't found any instance where a FLAC wasn't available. Randomly went through stuff on my playlist that is available in "Master" quality, 10 or 12 different albums, some of them are on Warner. So, at least the quoted part of this post is currently not true.

“Now it seems that when an MQA version is published, it replaces the original FLAC (which becomes no longer available).”

So this statement is true?

guenthi_r

In past, some Albums (16/44) are MQA encoded on Qobuz (and removed), so nobody can be on the safety side.

Last edited:

snowsurfer

“Now it seems that when an MQA version is published, it replaces the original FLAC (which becomes no longer available).”

From what I've found out it is not true right now, but it seems that something is going in this regard, as per the previous posts. I have found releases where this has not happened (yet?).

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
From what I've found out it is not true right now, but it seems that something is going in this regard, as per the previous posts. I have found releases where this has not happened (yet?).

I just gave you an example where it’s is true - Coldplay Parachutes. I can probably find more.

snowsurfer

I just gave you an example where it’s is true - Coldplay Parachutes. I can probably find more.

That it happened on one or several releases does not make that whole blanket statement true. I have found plenty where it did not happen, which makes it automatically not true - since it is a blanket statement. Just adding a "sometimes" before the word "replaces" would make it true, but alas, it is worded as it is worded.

mSpot

I was the one who originally made that statement. Now I think it is probably the record label that decides which version(s) they want to make available on Tidal. After all, they own the recording and have control over it. The evidence now is that Warner Music replaces their non-MQA FLAC files with MQA versions, but some other labels may keep both versions.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
That it happened on one or several releases does not make that whole blanket statement true. I have found plenty where it did not happen, which makes it automatically not true - since it is a blanket statement. Just adding a "sometimes" before the word "replaces" would make it true, but alas, it is worded as it is worded.

Now when I analyse the exact wording, you are correct.

sandymc

Hmmm. I took a look at a few albums, and Diana Krall's Wallflower (Verve/Universal) appears to be available as:

Wallflower (Deluxe Edition) : Master only
Wallflower : regular
Wallflower (The Complete Session) : regular

So I'm confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom