• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why was it mqa was marketed like the silly cables and other useless audio tweaks? They know their market....

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can only assume such laws in the UK are more vague?

As I understand it, the UK and many other jurisdictions infer an initial category of permissible exaggeration, to the extent reasonably to be expected from advertising. I think because of David Ogilvy's slogan from the early 60s: "At 60 mph, the loudest sound in the new Rolls Royce is the ticking of the clock." Which was patently absurd, but judged to be harmless in intent. Like "Perfect Sound Forever", which was taken to mean "Better than LP quality and doesn't scratch so easily." This "no harm no foul" category makes legal attacks difficult, especially if complex or pedantic.

Tks

Major Contributor
Not really. You asked a bunch of questions which had nothing to do with my net conclusion which is I don't care one way or the other. MQA is there for me to use for free. If a music I search for is MQA, I play and enjoy. If not, I still play and enjoy. If you were in my shoes, would you slash your wrist when you saw an MQA clip come up in Tidal? If so, then you are violently against it. And I am not. I am not going to tell anyone to adopt MQA. Or not. I just don't think this is at all an important topic. This is neutrality in the most pure sense.

I wanted to ignore the most concerning thing you say here and your prior posts. Basically when boiled down: As long as something you use is not a problem for you, then you don't care plainly put. Which is odd, since a free $30,000 cable that you mention we should go sue for, would also fall in the same category as long as it cost you nothing as you assume MQA doesn't (which it does, and which is the polluted Tidal offering that's getting rid of lossless catalogue). You mention how its not an important topic, but you sound like your detractors whom you counter by saying they should look at the traffic your site brings (likewise I ask you look at this thread, proving it would be quite reaching to say none of this matters, likewise your participation).

You also say you would not tell anyone to adopt it or not, but you are currently in the position of throwing water on the issue (because your focus here has been content that's in defense of MQA more than anything until I for instance prompted a direct reply on more concerning aspects). People of course in this thread feel differently and with good merit given MQA and Bob's nonsense historically speaking from the claims they made and still make.

Also, there is a downplaying that's bordering on contradiction when you say "I play it if its MQA or not, and I enjoy it anyway", but you told me that you would rather not have MQA given the choice between it and hi res.

Finally, I want to return on the somewhat silly claim about how its free for you and such. Surly you don't actually take this to be the case beyond superficially claiming this? Even if it were the case that it were free literally (which it isn't) all rational approaches toward any future approximation of whether this would stay the case are pointing toward the negative. You specifically, paid by proxy for both DAC if you want full decode, or simply Roon with grandfathering in (so you got lucky buying it back then, but for any price hikes since, that would be unfortunate for some). The other temporal cost is the axing of lossless on Tidal, unless you think removal of things, isn't a "cost".

I guess I'm just having trouble reconciling your neutral position as you call it, and the idea of "well if it don't affect me, why would I care". Seems quite baffling to me considering the work you do, work that this site more than demonstrates.

But to take a neutral position on this is only reconcilable given I heard you speak of your past in MS, where it seems Bob's now doing what you perhaps weren't able due to whatever reason. Now don't mistake this to have anything to do with jealously, this is squarely to say that it is some political conviction I think that drives, as you can relate to it in your past.

I just don't understand why this is any different than Audioquest cables though. Both companies make products that don't do anything appreciable at best, and are poor performers at worst.

EDIT: Typos/grammar

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
You are way wrong on this. Nothing has gotten "polluted" lest you show me listening test results that demonstrate audibility has suffered as such. You have any? If not, then that is that.

This is rough. "Cant hear the audible difference? MQA's marketing claims are fine". You really want to hang you hat on how a lossy codec is fine to replace lossless potentially? If thats the case, why waste your money on limited Tidal selections, move on to Spotify. Or was your listening training to your detriment to the degree you now hear grating differences between lossy and lossless in casual listening?

Come on bossman..

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I've used it....lol, I guess you're the mqa fan boi # 1 around here. Let me say it again, it's bullshit!
You worrying about shit you don't listen too, what's wrong with you,if I don’t eat pork why the hell would I worry about you eating pork,shits crazy.Boi you have choices use them.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You worrying about shit you don't listen too, what's wrong with you,if I don’t eat pork why the hell would I worry about you eating pork,shits crazy.Boi you have choices use them.
LOL

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Dont tell him about vegans ;)
The whole argument is silly, people worrying about a codec that they don't even use
Schitt completely crazy,use the damn flac and get over yourselves, I don't even think you people listen to music and enjoy it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Free as in I did not pay a dime extra when MQA was added to Roon and Tidal.

You already paid the high tier for Tidal to include MQA access even though you didn't have it? Roon isn't free either. The bullshit for me lies in it's basic no need to exist category.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Music ain't a damn hobby,people listen to music for enjoyment, relaxation, etc.
That's got nothing to do with it unless you just prefer to go on fantasy in audio, which many do but I still don't particularly support.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is rough. "Cant hear the audible difference? MQA's marketing claims are fine". You really want to hang you hat on how a lossy codec is fine to replace lossless potentially?
It didn't replace anything. if I want lossless, I can buy it with downloads. Or get Qobuz. Or Amazon. Otherwise I consume MQA for free from Tidal.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dude I've playing music and musical instruments for 45 years I've seen codecs come and go but I've never seen anything like this over a codec,it's crazy fanatical.

Fanatical perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom