• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RPi4 onboard audio performance/measurements?

lamode

Just curious if anyone has measured the onboard audio of the RPi4? Everyone seems to ditch the onboard audio immediately in favour of a HAT or external DAC but just how bad is the RPi4's native audio performance? And how can you measure the improvement if you don't measure the base performance?

Last edited:

DHT 845

I am curious as well. USB out of Rpi4 and via Uptone USPCB A>B Adapter and without it.

dc655321

Major Contributor
If one is looking at the digital outputs, say over usb as suggested above, what issues could there be?

Flipped bits? Unlikely and easily audible.
Noise? A descent dac would filter that.
Jitter? Again, an asynchronous dac should handle much of that.

If the software used on the pi does no processing (resampling, etc), what goes in digitally must emerge intact.

OP
L

lamode

I'm not sure which poster you were addressing but my question (and the thread topic) is about the analogue audio output via the 3.5mm jack.

dc655321

Major Contributor
I'm not sure which poster you were addressing but my question (and the thread topic) is about the analogue audio output via the 3.5mm jack.

Sorry. Should have pointed my reply at DHT.

And no, I don't know of any measurements of the pi4 analog outs. I would guess similar to many phones - SINAD ~85dB, or so.

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
+1
Good question...
I would be curious to find out as well.
Though I must say an older rpi I had did show some oxidation around the mini jack plug (was only used inside the house though).

Kegemusha

If one is looking at the digital outputs, say over usb as suggested above, what issues could there be?

If the software used on the pi does no processing (resampling, etc), what goes in digitally must emerge intact.

I think if you use a USB DAC, like kind of the Dragonfly or another one, can not be a big issue, but I think the DAC HAT is cheaper than a good USB DAC.

DHT 845

If you are so sure, what makes various streamers with only dig out sound different?
Flipped bits, not sure. Noise, yes, jitter (that is digital noise), software issues, definately yes.

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
I thought the question was about the mini jack out of the rpi which probably uses some sort of onboard dac

Last edited:

dc655321

Major Contributor
If you are so sure, what makes various streamers with only dig out sound different?

If they are not altering bits (dsp, resampling, etc), then "imagination" of listener would be my guess.
Are you aware of reasonable evidence suggesting bits from one digital device differ from those of another over USB?

Daverz

Major Contributor
Flipped bits, not sure. Noise, yes, jitter (that is digital noise), software issues, definately yes.

As Amir has explained before, it's just how our brains work, we hear differences even when measurements show no audible differences, like seeing canals on Mars.

Pauper

It’s a question that I would like answering too. I’m nearly 70 so my hearing may be way off but, when I plug my earphones directly to the RP4’s mini jack it sounds good!

OP
L

lamode

Still curious to see the results if anyone tests the Rpi's audio jack

phofman

Hm, the link seems to work for me. Maybe your browser refuses to open non-SSL websites?

The PWM audio interface has not changed on RPi4. It's a feature provided by the GPU part of the SoC.

OP
L

lamode

Link works now for some reason (same browser). That was interesting, thanks.

Top Bottom