• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker measurements vs. actual perceived audio characteristics

Kain

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but say that two different speakers from two different brands have the same measurements. How come they still end up sounding different? If measurements don't fully indicate the audio characteristics, why place so much weight on them? Or maybe they do sound the same? I'm not sure. But I do know that two different subwoofers with identical measurements definitely don't sound the same.

OP
K

Kain

Didn't know that. So are you saying that if the measurements were identical, they would actually sound the same? How come that doesn't work for subwoofers?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't know that. So are you saying that if the measurements were identical, they would actually sound the same? How come that doesn't work for subwoofers?
It does work for subwoofers. Same measurements, same position in room? Same results...

OP
K

Kain

It does work for subwoofers. Same measurements, same position in room? Same results...
If a ported and sealed subwoofer have the same measurements (along with position in room and everything else), they will sound the same? I thought ported subwoofers offered more tactile response compared to sealed subwoofers.

How does a subwoofer sounding "thick" or "bloaty" vs. "clean" or "precise" show up on measurements?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
THD, IMD, FR, level, etc ... you know ... measurements.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
How does a subwoofer sounding "thick" or "bloaty" vs. "clean" or "precise" show up on measurements?
In almost all cases this is do with room effects and not the subwoofer. Subwoofers are remarkably similar apart from output capability vs. frequency (according to CEA 2010) and footprint (i.e., size), as well as features. I like DSP in mine, for example.

The other thing to say is: no speaker measures the same as another. There is always some level of difference.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Sorry if this is a newbie question, but say that two different speakers from two different brands have the same measurements. How come they still end up sounding different? If measurements don't fully indicate the audio characteristics, why place so much weight on them? Or maybe they do sound the same? I'm not sure. But I do know that two different subwoofers with identical measurements definitely don't sound the same.
Could you define the same measurements?

Mosquito

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but say that two different speakers from two different brands have the same measurements.
It never happened that two loudspeakers of different brands measured the same.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Not sure two same model of passive speakers have the same measurements.

OP
K

Kain

Okay, there seems to be a slight confusion regarding what I meant. When I stated "measurements", I really meant frequency response graphs such as the following:

index.php

Katji

Major Contributor
Listening spaces acoustics vary and heads [neurology, psychology --> perception] vary.

Katji

Major Contributor

Can you define the meaning/s of those adjectives, so that all persons will understand them the same? ...You might need to define them in terms of [ranges of] test measurement results.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Okay, there seems to be a slight confusion regarding what I meant. When I stated "measurements", I really meant frequency response graphs such as the following:

index.php
The distortion is a great part of the sound speakers.
As inter modulation distortion IMD
The step response.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

index.php
Which two speaker models did you think have identical cea2034 measurements?

OP
K

Kain

Which two speaker models did you think have identical cea2034 measurements?
It's a hypothetical question. But I've seen JBL and Genelec speakers with similar "flatness" in CEA2034 measurements but with comments stating that Genelecs are considered bright.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a hypothetical question. But I've seen JBL and Genelec speakers with similar "flatness" in CEA2034 measurements but with comments stating that Genelecs are considered bright.

The ability of the internet experts to "interpret" a complete CEA2034 suite of measurements is greatly exaggerated.

Top Bottom