• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

diy active 2.0 bookshelf speakers + raspberry pi with dac.

Vavilen

Hello people!
I was going to buy some Bluesound 700 Euro speaker for my living room, but the sound quality wasn't as great as it costs.

Also, I'm pretty in to the Raspberry Pi with all this beautiful OSS.

That's why I decided to do something myself. This will be my first project. And it needs to be simple.

I was impressed buy this video and I want to buy/build something similar.
1 x Empty cabinets pair = 70 euro
2 x Tang Band W5 1138SMF - 40 x 2 = 80 euro
2 x Dayton Audio RS100-4 Ful-Range Driver - 50 x 2 = 100 euro
2 x HiVi TN28B Tweeter 30 x 2 = 60 euro
2 x Lepai LP210PA - 65 x 2 = 130 euro
2 x Huntkey 19V 4.74A 90W AC/DC Power Adapter - 2 x 40 = 80
1 x AUDIOPHONICS RASPDAC MINI LCD Kit DIY Streamer for Raspberry Pi 4 & DAC ES9038Q2M = 190 euro

Summary: 710 Euro or 520 Euro (without RASPDAC - gonna use my rpi4 first time)

WHat do you think guys? Does it worth it? Do you have any concern/objections?
Would you prefer to go with passive speakers + D-class amplifier for 150-200 euro?

Thanks in advance!

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!

This should be a totally fun project. How experienced are you with DIY speakers? It doesn't look like the C-Note speaker cabinets on your list match the design shown in @joentell's video (and therefore mismatch driver cutouts, bass reflex ports, etc.). I think you will have to get the build plan, see if there are ready made cabinet kits available or construct your own. You will probably also need a measurement mic and other instruments (e.g. multimeter) to verify and/or troubleshoot your build.

I am sure you'll enjoy it tremendously when you have finished your built.

OP
V

Vavilen

Welcome to ASR!

This should be a totally fun project. How experienced are you with DIY speakers? It doesn't look like the C-Note speaker cabinets on your list match the design shown in @joentell's video (and therefore mismatch driver cutouts, bass reflex ports, etc.). I think you will have to get the build plan, see if there are ready made cabinet kits available or construct your own. You will probably also need a measurement mic and other instruments (e.g. multimeter) to verify and/or troubleshoot your build.

I am sure you'll enjoy it tremendously when you have finished your built.
Thank you so much for such a fast response!
Yes, you are right. The cabinets don't match the video's cabinets. This is a problem and I can get unexpected poor result, right?I don't have enough equipment to build the cabinets. Do you know if there is a list of companies which can build it for me preferable in the Western Europe?
What do you think about the amplifier? Is it good enough for this price?
Thanks in advance!

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry. I am more of a theory/mathematics person and have not done a DIY speaker myself. Many others here have infinitely more experience in this than me. I also don't know where to get speaker built in Europe.

My understanding is that the speaker cabinet volume, reflex port dimensions, drivers characteristics, cross-over design all should be considered together in the design. But not everything needs to be fully optimized to get respectable results.

I also don't have any experience with the Lepai amplifier. It is based on the TI TPA3118 chip, which is entry level and is probably OK. The Hypex FA123 plate amp, at about 4X the cost (which includes power supply, DAC and DSP) will offer pretty much end-game level performance.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If the cabinet dimensions don't match the plans then the result won't be as designed, probably significantly worse. There are European flatpack manufacturers like https://lautsprecherbau.info but I don't know if they do custom work or just their stock models. I would expect custom cabinets to be much more than you've budgeted for. I don't know if 123troid would be interested in doing a licensing deal with a European flatpack manufacturer. If you can't make them yourself, and can't find someone to make them for you, you would be better finding a different design that you can buy cabinets for than trying to make those drivers fit a different box. Another option would be to look for a local makerspace to get access to tools, and usually people who are happy to give instruction and/or advice so you could make them yourself.

Reactions: NTK
OP
V

Vavilen

Thanks everybody for your responses!
I decided that I don't want to have a deal with cabinets manufacturing and my plan is to assemble this kit + build some amp using purifi plate.
What do you think? Is it good enough for this price?

headshake

OP
V

Vavilen

You have more $$$ in your amp bucket than the speaker bucket. Are you sure you want to do that? IMO The speaker is more important than the amp.

This is in europe:
https://www.audiohobby.eu/en/sb-acoustics-diy-kits/12722-sb-acoustics-micro-diy-speaker-kit.html
With an SB acoutics kit, you can look up real data on the parts. The link you have has zero specs other than "good for female vocals".
Ok, it's a valid point. Is the price 513.60 for one unit or for a pair?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
A step up from the kit you linked is the 3.1-a which did quite well when tested with a crossover mod. The value proposition is a little different as it's rather more expensive this side of the Atlantic, but still looks within your budget.

OP
V

Vavilen

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
There's more info in the SB product page - see the datasheet in the downloads section which contains some frequency response measurements that are a bit disappointing. The 3.1-A looks a better bet to me.
I'd probably also be looking at a kit from Heissmann with cabinet parts from Lautsprecherbau since they provide thorough measurements showing good performance. The reflex version of the DXT-MON is probably about the same price once you add the options up, and has excellent measurements.
We haven't addressed the size of your living room or your listening distance - just assumed based on your original choice that a small monitor-style speaker would be a suitable option.

OP
V

Vavilen

There's more info in the SB product page - see the datasheet in the downloads section which contains some frequency response measurements that are a bit disappointing. The 3.1-A looks a better bet to me.
I'd probably also be looking at a kit from Heissmann with cabinet parts from Lautsprecherbau since they provide thorough measurements showing good performance. The reflex version of the DXT-MON is probably about the same price once you add the options up, and has excellent measurements.
We haven't addressed the size of your living room or your listening distance - just assumed based on your original choice that a small monitor-style speaker would be a suitable option.
Thank you for the message!
The Heissmann kit + cabinets parts from Lautsprecherbau will cost ~1100 Euro. If to make a rough estimation then would these speakers sound like 1100 euro speakers bought in some hi-fi store? Or what is the possible price? Maybe you know some similar-sounding model?
I just need to understand if it worth building it myself or better/cheaper/easier to buy something in stores.
Thanks in advance!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I think I mistook a single speaker for a pair, sorry. This is probably the sort of comparison you're looking for:
https://heissmann-acoustics.de/en/dxt-mon-vs-neumann-kh-120a/
That, and the measurements of some of the kit speakers on this site, show that they can perform as well as, or better than, a good off the shelf speaker at the same sticker price level. They can also measure badly, like off the shelf speakers - it would be a lot easier if both came with a reliable set of measurements, but most don't. The price ignores the cost of your time, tools etc. though, and you won't have the warranty you would with a ready made speaker. If making things is your idea of fun, or you want to give them a custom finish, a good kit is probably a good choice. If you look on it as a chore that might save you some cash you'll probably wish you hadn't bothered. If you're not sure then it might be worth trying a cheap kit first so there's less at stake if you find you don't like the experience.

Skeptischism

starting with the purify amps (what are you referring to when you say plates? i'm not aware of purifi having a plate amp in their range as yet? that starts you down a rabbit hole. they need a decent buffer imo, to be their best, plus you still need a source that matches their quality (not so hard these days, but still a reality) and honestly, I would lean towards digital crossover. I would go with the hypex plate amps (may be what you were referring to) and find a kit that includes those.

OP
V

Vavilen

I think I mistook a single speaker for a pair, sorry. This is probably the sort of comparison you're looking for:
https://heissmann-acoustics.de/en/dxt-mon-vs-neumann-kh-120a/
That, and the measurements of some of the kit speakers on this site, show that they can perform as well as, or better than, a good off the shelf speaker at the same sticker price level. They can also measure badly, like off the shelf speakers - it would be a lot easier if both came with a reliable set of measurements, but most don't. The price ignores the cost of your time, tools etc. though, and you won't have the warranty you would with a ready made speaker. If making things is your idea of fun, or you want to give them a custom finish, a good kit is probably a good choice. If you look on it as a chore that might save you some cash you'll probably wish you hadn't bothered. If you're not sure then it might be worth trying a cheap kit first so there's less at stake if you find you don't like the experience.
I want to keep the balance between the enjoyment of building something myself (instead of playing video games on weekends) and saving some money. For instance, if I spend 1k Euro on building using some DIY kit and this would sound like some brand 1.5k Euro speakers, then I choose DIY. If the price is and the sound quality is the same, then I would buy a brand speaker, because it looks much better.
In short, I want to enjoy the process and build something nice for less money.

Unfortunately, the European DIY kit market is worse and more expensive than the American. I found a few german DIY portals, but they look like phishing sites with poor design and payments options from 20 years past. Plus its kits are not so popular, or they don't have enough tests/measurements.
So, I'm a bit confused.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I don't have an easy answer I'm afraid - it's not easy to find designs with comprehensive measurements, let alone ones that don't assume you can do your own woodwork. Transatlantic pricing variations mean that what's good value on one side often isn't so good on the other. You could have a look at the Linkwitz LXMini which has only basic woodworking requirements, is well regarded by some, but is rather unusual. Other than that, keep searching, or take the safe option and buy off the shelf.

OP
V

Vavilen

Ok, let's imagine that you compare the 3.1-A kit with the modified crossover and the kit from Heissmann. The last one is 1.5 times more expensive. Do you think you/me can feel the difference and you would buy the Heissmann kit? I'm oke to spend a bit more money than for the 3.1-A kit, but if the difference is significant/noticable.
Thanks!

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Ok, let's imagine that you compare the 3.1-A kit with the modified crossover and the kit from Heissmann. The last one is 1.5 times more expensive. Do you think you/me can feel the difference and you would buy the Heissmann kit? I'm oke to spend a bit more money than for the 3.1-A kit, but if the difference is significant/noticable.
Thanks!
Don't see any measurements for the HiVi, while the DXT does provide a lot, which would completely decide it for me.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Don't see any measurements for the HiVi, while the DXT does provide a lot, which would completely decide it for me.
You missed the link up thread - tested here with a golfing panther, although benefiting from some minor eq which the Heissmann probably won't need, and at a lower price than it's available this side of the Atlantic.

Top Bottom