• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf speakers on the floor?

Charliecj

Mapleshade says putting your small speakers on almost floor level using their very expensive wood platforms would rise your speakers to new levels. Has anyone done this with their small speakers? If so, what did you put them on?

mansr

Major Contributor
It will definitely alter the acoustics. In what way depends on the speakers and the room, though very little on what they're sat on. You'd probably want to point them a bit upward, though. Unless you listen while stood on your head.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mapleshade says putting your small speakers on almost floor level using their very expensive wood platforms would rise your speakers to new levels. Has anyone done this with their small speakers? If so, what did you put them on?

All quality small speakers were designed to sound best from specific locations. Nearly always this is with their tweeter driver at ear height, and the speaker either on a stand that raises them to this height, or placed on a table or bookshelf at this height. Alternately, some are designed with tilting stands (or bases) that tilt them upward so that the distance between the lower bass driver and the tweeter are about equal distance to your ears. Check the user manual or sell sheet to see what is recommended.

I see mapleshade offers unusual looking low stands with an optional tilt that can help time alignment. Certainly these will sound better than putting the same small speaker directly on the floor with no tilt. Almost certainly they will not sound as good as locating them where the speaker designer recommended. If you must place your small speakers near the floor, the mapleshade stands will sound no better than cheaper alternatives of the same height and angle. The traditional cinderblock stands work great, especially with a wedge to get the upward tilt right.

The "time correcting" jargon on the mapleshade site just means they offer tilting footers.

OP
C

Charliecj

All quality small speakers were designed to sound best from specific locations. Nearly always this is with their tweeter driver at ear height, and the speaker either on a stand that raises them to this height, or placed on a table or bookshelf at this height. Alternately, some are designed with tilting stands (or bases) that tilt them upward so that the distance between the lower bass driver and the tweeter are about equal distance to your ears. Check the user manual or sell sheet to see what is recommended.

I see mapleshade offers unusual looking low stands with an optional tilt that can help time alignment. Certainly these will sound better than putting the same small speaker directly on the floor with no tilt. Almost certainly they will not sound as good as locating them where the speaker designer recommended. If you must place your small speakers near the floor, the mapleshade stands will sound no better than cheaper alternatives of the same height and angle. The traditional cinderblock stands work great, especially with a wedge to get the upward tilt right.

The "time correcting" jargon on the mapleshade site just means they offer tilting footers.
Thanks for your serious input ! After I choose my new bookshelves I might try one of those Kantu stands you linked.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Those stands look so silly.

OP
C

Charliecj

Those stands look so silly.
But might be practical for me as I will only use them when listening to an album or watching a movie. Most times they will stay cooped up in the TV stand. Per my wife’s request.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you are going to put bookshelf speakers on the floor, why not just use tower speakers so that they are the correct height? I can understand your wife not liking bookshelf speakers on a stand.....they do look silly to many people(and some people love them). Perhaps she will like the aesthetics of a regular tower speaker better?

OP
C

Charliecj

If you are going to put bookshelf speakers on the floor, why not just use tower speakers so that they are the correct height? I can understand your wife not liking bookshelf speakers on a stand.....they do look silly to many people(and some people love them). Perhaps she will like the aesthetics of a regular tower speaker better?
You make sense but my predicament is my wife loves the look of her small modern living room. Speakers can come out of the TV console when serious listening going on ( concerts and movies)but must go back when not. Compromise is me using stands when I bring them out to play with. My stands from the stereo room in our house are heavy. Hence my post here about possibly using tiny floor stands.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You make sense but my predicament is my wife loves the look of her small modern living room. Speakers can come out of the TV console when serious listening going on ( concerts and movies)but must go back when not. Compromise is me using stands when I bring them out to play with. My stands from the stereo room in our house are heavy. Hence my post here about possibly using tiny floor stands.
What kind of speakers do you have? If they are not too heavy you could try to mount them on microphone stands (good ones from K&M) or stands for studio monitors.

OP
C

Charliecj

What kind of speakers do you have? If they are not too heavy you could try to mount them on microphone stands (good ones from K&M) or stands for studio monitors.
Audioengine passive P4’s powered by a Bluesound Powernode amp.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow. So sorry for your situation. Good luck!

Top Bottom