• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Norne Audio Premium Headphone Cable Review

ReAlien

Interesting. You chastise people for commenting on a cable they don't own. But you feel comfortable commenting on content of a video without watching it. I suggest you take your own advise and watch the video. Then you realize there was not just a frequency response test. Putting your fingers in your ears is no way to learn anything.
I already wrote earlier that I never intended to comment on your video. And I was not talking about the cable they don't own. Just about the cable they never wanted to buy. Pay attention, please.

Tachyon88

@ReAlien You said "My mood can influence my ability to hear difference in short term. But I listen to my cables in long term and I can hear cable's signature despite mood, weather changes." Short term moods change the sound, but not the cable. However, long term you can hear the "sound signature" of the cable. What was your mood on that day that you came to this conclusion ?

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I did hear the change when the maker of my headphones upgraded the inner cabling in them. And I did hear the change when he changed the membranes making the conductors in them thinner and narrower. Sorry)

Right... So those little wire changes somehow affect the vibration of the air molecules in a way that the microphone cannot measure, but your ears can detect (the change in air molecular vibration). The hairs in your ears are truly amazing...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I already wrote earlier that I never intended to comment on your video. And I was not talking about the cable they don't own. Just about the cable they never wanted to buy. Pay attention, please.
I know you said that. And I am saying you are breaking your own rule. People here are commenting on the content of the video. With you not having watched it, you don't know their vantage point. No different than your claim that they should not talk without hearing a cable.

ReAlien

@ReAlien You said "My mood can influence my ability to hear difference in short term. But I listen to my cables in long term and I can hear cable's signature despite mood, weather changes." Short term moods change the sound, but not the cable. However, long term you can hear the "sound signature" of the cable. What was the mood on that day that you came to this conclusion ?
In the short term, I may be biased, in the long term the change is more obvious and cannot be written off as just a mood swing or brain tricks.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
If you believe that Amir's graphs are able to show what our brains hear, good for you.
Actually, they just don’t show what I hear, they show what I don’t hear.

ReAlien

Right... So those little wire changes somehow affect the vibration of the air molecules in a way that the microphone cannot measure, but your ears can detect (the change in air molecular vibration). The hairs in your ears are truly amazing...
Don't be jealous man, you have your own talents, I'm sure.

whazzup

Don't be jealous man, you have your own talents, I'm sure.

Nah, I don't have alien ears. You should try for some Guinness hearing record. The medical world will be shaken up by you and they will have to rewrite their textbooks.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It just proves my point that A-B tests are misleading. One should listen to a new cable or device in the long term to find out if it was his mood or lack of attention playing tricks.
I showed you research with long-term listening indicating that people were lost in the woods once they did not know the identity of what they were testing. And nothing about AB test requires quick analysis. You can listen for a full day to one cable, then to a different one the next day. Or listen for a week or more as the listeners in that test did.

Remember, the science of how your brain works 100% predicts why you are worse off with long term listening. So the research is backing what we know about your brain. You on the other hand, are making up your own ideas of how your body works and confusing yourself with it.

And you miss the point that it is not medicine and there can be no objective truth when we're talking about the pleasures of listening to music. If I like it, why should I fight it? Who gets hurt if I love my new cable?
You are confusing music making with music playback. Making of the music is hard to quantify. What makes audible difference is not at all. We simply test people a few times blind without knowing which is which and the result pops out. And that is folks like you are imagining differences that are not there. And worse yet, try to proselytize the same to others. It is a terrible thing you are doing to yourself and others.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I always say that I envy those who do not hear the difference in cables. But I'm kidding, of course) It's like I would envy people who listen to simple pop music and never want anything else or those that think that junk food is great. I love this part of the audio hobby when you know that your sound always can get better, look for new signatures to please my ears and brain, find some new horizons all the time. It does not mean that I'm always unhappy with my gear, it means that I always can enjoy the sound with knowledge that sooner or later it would get much better (more authentic to my ears).
I do hear differences in microphones, microphone position is super sensitive when recording too.
I hear the difference in record players (I have 4).
I hear a big difference due to loudspeaker position in the room and my listening position relative to them. I even hear a difference between chairs in my listening position, and how they are upholstered (the best sounding isn't the most comfortable so I have to decide if comfort is more important than the last iota of SQ before I listen).

I don't hear any difference between cables though.

ReAlien

I know you said that. And I am saying you are breaking your own rule. People here are commenting on the content of the video. With you not having watched it, you don't know their vantage point. No different than your claim that they should not talk without hearing a cable.
No, I was commenting on the general comments about the fact that any cables can influence the sound perceived by our brains. As I said, I've never listened to this particular brand of cables thus my comments were never about your video, it's just another thread where people are bashing the "cables change sound" concept. One of the hundreds I've seen before. They are very similar, and never fail to amuse me.

ReAlien

I showed you research with long-term listening indicating that people were lost in the woods once they did not know the identity of what they were testing. And nothing about AB test requires quick analysis. You can listen for a full day to one cable, then to a different one the next day. Or listen for a week or more as the listeners in that test did.

Remember, the science of how your brain works 100% predicts why you are worse off with long term listening. So the research is backing what we know about your brain. You on the other hand, are making up your own ideas of how your body works and confusing yourself with it.

You are confusing music making with music playback. Making of the music is hard to quantify. What makes audible difference is not at all. We simply test people a few times blind without knowing which is which and the result pops out. And that is folks like you are imagining differences that are not there. And worse yet, try to proselytize the same to others. It is a terrible thing you are doing to yourself and others.
Saying that your proselytizing amuses me is proselytizing? :facepalm:

Oh, I'm such a terrible person because I hear that cables change the sound, shame on me!

And, of course, people would be in the woods if you never tell them if it's a placebo or not. It's why the placebo effect is used in medical science.

Tachyon88

In the short term, I may be biased, in the long term the change is more obvious and cannot be written off as just a mood swing or brain tricks.

SMH... Within your previous post I do not think you realize that you're actually arguing against yourself and proving why this site exists in the first place. All you're showing is that you actually do not understand what you think you understand.

I do want to know what the sound signature of the cable you keep referencing sounds like in comparison to another cable ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I was commenting on the general comments about the fact that any cables can influence the sound perceived by our brains.

Almost correct:

"I was commenting on the general comments about the fact that any cables that I know are being used can influence the sound perceived by our brains¨ is more truthful.

I am of the position that when whatever is used that enhances your personal audio experience than that is fine.
Just don't think that because you and many others experience the same thing only verifies human brains work that way. It isn't proof of anything else.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One should listen to a new cable or device in the long term to find out if it was his mood or lack of attention playing tricks.
I am now quite sure the idea of needing long term listening is definitely one of the biggest and commonest bollox talked about in the hobby, simply because of how short our aural memory is.
I used to believe it myself but after a long period where my system remained stable I still heard changes which I would previously have believed were caused by appreciation of the long term change due to a new piece of kit but now know, since I hadn't changed anything, was my imagination.
I later found this is predicted by the science and the only reliable comparison is instantaneous, level matched and "blind".
Otherwise one is deceiving oneself.

ReAlien

Almost correct:

"I was commenting on the general comments about the fact that any cables that I know are being used can influence the sound perceived by our brains¨ is more truthful.

I am of the position that when whatever is used that enhances your personal audio experience than that is fine.
Just don't think that because you and many others experience the same thing it has any merit to it.
I've been in the situation when I've been bothered by something wrong in the sound when I was sure that nothing was changed in my system when in fact there was a change I did not know about. In one case it took me a month to find out what was changed. My brain may mask it for some time, but the truth (my subjective version of it, of course) will always come out.

Anyway, who needs merit when you get joy? Do you really think that knowing that Amir and his followers do not believe in сables will change the way I perceive my gear and cabling?

ReAlien

SMH... Within your previous post I do not think you realize that you're actually arguing against yourself and proving why this site exists in the first place. All you're showing is that you actually do not understand what you think you understand.

I do want to know what the sound signature of the cable you keep referencing sounds like in comparison to another cable ?
I do not need to understand anything as long as I hear things and they make me joyous. Why would I try to make my life duller?

The differences in headphone cables are quite varied, there is no simple rule. With my current headphone cable instruments sound much more natural/authentic to my ears/brain, the sound stage has a much more "black background" and the instruments sound more agile as if the sounds started fluttering instead of being fixed. I can "see" the fiddlestick moving now in a way I had never been able with the old one.

ReAlien

I knew cables made no difference to the sound of a hifi system before I joined any internet forum or had heard of Amir, I am not one of his followers :)
Did I ever say that you are?

Top Bottom