• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha 5200 ever been tested by AudioScience

NoCovid

Has ASR ever tested the yamaha 5200 processor? Audioholics tested it and raves about the results except for L/R front XLR interference with volume control
John

OP
N

NoCovid

Yes I saw their review but wondered if it had been done by the guru of all things here. I trust his deep dive.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has ASR ever tested the yamaha 5200 processor? Audioholics tested it and raves about the results except for L/R front XLR interference with volume control
John

They raved about it based on how much THD+N was below the threshold of audibility, and he certainly alluded to the -72 dB THD+N below the threshold. Take a look of the numbers:

Audioholics.com's test
Yamaha CX-A5200 & MX-A5200 Measurements & Conclusion | Audioholics
CX-A5200:
Purple: Unbal -88dB @ 1kHz
Blue: Bal -72dB @ 1kHz

He said "While I'm not happy about this result, as it certainly is NOT State-of-the-Art (SOTA), it never diminished my enjoyment of this product even during my critical listening sessions. "

Compare that to any Denon, say the AVR-X6700H measured here at ASR:

Unbal -94 dB @ 1 kHz

The Denon, just an AVR, is a whopping 6 dB lower than the Yamaha AVC, a so called separate. So if Gene measured the AVR-X6700H, he would likely have "raved" about the results too.

However, that's measurement, in a real world comparison listening test, it will unlikely make a difference, all else being equal such as driving a well designed power amp with great specs including high input impedance.

OP
N

NoCovid

Thanks Peng. I will use whatever Pre I end up getting to drive my Krell Kav250 Amps and Nautilus Speakers. Someone suggested the new Anthem 70. But the ASR of the 60 was not pretty.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean... do they test this stuff before they release it? You almost have to try to get that kind of result these days.

I was surprised given that people often tout Yamaha's supposedly better quality control and reliability as they have their own factories and tighter QA systems etc. To add fuel to fire, according to AH, Yamaha apparently wouldn't fix the issue until their next release, ie.5300? So I guess it must be a hardware related issue. If I need one I would opt for the 5100 regardless but that's getting old so won't be viable unless Yamaha still gives a full warranty on one, then it may be a good idea depending on how deep a discount one can get.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do you want measurements? This is not a competitive product. The room correction isn’t good, no Auro, and it’s huge. DAC performance can’t make up for the shortfalls.

The 5100 (which I briefly owned) had the claim to fame of being the only AVP with both Atmos and Dolby Pro Logic II. That was useful because Dolby Surround wasn’t a good upmixer for music. However, with Auro DPLII’s omission is not keenly felt, and whatever YPAO did was not welcome.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

gags11

Forum Donor
I own a Yamaha CX-A5100. One thing I love about this processor is the rock solid performance, great smartphone control app, and lack of any kind of glitch es whatsoever. The latter plagues many other brands.

I am hesitant to upgrade this processor, at least for now.

danzilla31

Forum Donor
I own a Yamaha CX-A5100. One thing I love about this processor is the rock solid performance, great smartphone control app, and lack of any kind of glitch es whatsoever. The latter plagues many other brands.

I am hesitant to upgrade this processor, at least for now.
I own the 5200 and it's exactly the same. Works perfect superb phone app no glitches. Won't be going with anything else for a long time

Top Bottom