• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Norne Audio Premium Headphone Cable Review

bidn

Why are most of these after-market cables braided? You don't get that with most speaker cables.

I see it like this:

Braiding makes them more solid and increases their elasticity (they can cope with more mechanical tension --> less chance of being torn). I suspect this would be because people regularly move them (putting and having them on one's head) so there is higher chance of something happening to the cable, although the probability of such an event is probably insignificant for most people.

The problem is that because of the braiding they loose a lot of flexibility, the higher rigidity makes them "microphonic" (much higher transmission of mechanical vibrations : a small cursory touching contact with a surface like a desk creates a mechanical wave that is transmitted through the headphone to the ear (sometimes through the skull...), creating annoying microphonic noises polluting the music.
BTW I wonder about the origin of the adjective microphonic in this context, would someone know?

The problem is that the drawbacks with microphonics may negatively outweight the advantage of the higher solidity.
One solution against microphonics is using litz wire instead of pure core strains, but those made out of litz seems more expensive than those made out of solid cores.

And the braiding may help in asking for more money, but on other hand there are many super expensive cable speaker cables and they are not braided.
I think aesthetics play a role for the braiding, probably one guy started doing this, and most others followed up. Maybe fashion is the most important factor here?

snowsurfer

Tachyon88

My favorite cable so far is the one that came with my audeze LCD2C when I had them. Limp, pliable and the splitter was small, slim and streamlined.

NDRQ

Would have been really interesting to measure group delay, using these "high-end" cables.
In many review, people saying that with better cable the soundstage is better, more open, etc...maybe that is stg to do with different looking group delay?

It would be also intersting to measure burst response, thats another factor that show the characteristic of a headphone, maybe thats also different with different cable?

To be honest, i dont really believe in cables, but a single frequency response graph doesnt realy shows us too much.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The raw cable like this is quite inexpensive on Ali. I bought 10m of 4 core 1mm per core 'silver' plated braided cable for $15 today for some DIY cables. The 'bronze,' copper, and plated, including 'gold' were all the same price. They also had 8 and 16 core and up to 1.5mm per core, the larger being more suitable for speaker cables. If you buy a whole 100m or 200m role, none is more than a few bucks a meter. So the material cost of the cable is pretty insignifigant. I chose 'silver' plated because i figured it might solder better than the 'gold.'

RHO

Major Contributor
Hey, a quick question. How happy are you with these? Are they very microphonic? Rigid or soft? I am a bit tired of the huge stock cable on my HD660s and was looking to get something shorter, and the price definitely seems right on these if they are decent...
I'm very happy with these cables.
They are not microphonic. They are very supple. Not stiff at all. They have a rubbery but slick feel to them. Construction is very reliable.
I'm seriously considering getting an mmcx and 0.78mm 2pin cable of this type for my IEMs too.

RHO

Major Contributor
The raw cable like this is quite inexpensive on Ali. I bought 10m of 4 core 1mm per core 'silver' plated braided cable for $15 today for some DIY cables. The 'bronze,' copper, and plated, including 'gold' were all the same price. They also had 8 and 16 core and up to 1.5mm per core, the larger being more suitable for speaker cables. If you buy a whole 100m or 200m role, none is more than a few bucks a meter. So the material cost of the cable is pretty insignifigant. I chose 'silver' plated because i figured it might solder better than the 'gold.'
Do you have a link to the product page of the raw cable you bought? (the 8 and 16 core interst me as well)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Do you have a link to the product page of the raw cable you bought? (the 8 and 16 core interst me as well)
I ordered this one, and there are lots of other good prices in the same store.

Edit: Clicking that link, realized I actually ordered this one. I am planning to wrap in paracord, so I figured the smaller diameter would be better.

Last edited:

snowsurfer

I'm very happy with these cables.
They are not microphonic. They are very supple. Not stiff at all. They have a rubbery but slick feel to them. Construction is very reliable.
I'm seriously considering getting an mmcx and 0.78mm 2pin cable of this type for my IEMs too.

Thanks for the reply, that's absolutely awesome, gonna order an XLR cable for my Senns just for the hell of it. Plus, it's below 22€ so I have to pay no taxes or import duties on it. Beautiful catch.

Reactions: RHO

RHO

Major Contributor
I ordered this one, and there are lots of other good prices in the same store.

Edit: Clicking that link, realized I actually ordered this one. I am planning to wrap in paracord, so I figured the smaller diameter would be better.
I see many options.
Quite interesting. :)

bakker_be

I have Focal Elear headphones, and their cable is incredibly stiff, heavy and long (3m). I've never been a cable believer, but ergonomically it isn't all that brilliant, so I went on the lookout for something nicer ergonomically, without spending audiofool money.
I stumbled upon Venture Electronics (veclan.com) and bought 2 sets of custom cables from them, both unbalanced, but terminated in either 6.3 or 3.5 mm, according to the amp I'm connecting to. Total price: 170$ US Shipping to Belgium included.
Gearcodes on the site: 17299-149910-99 and 15630-142420-76

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I am generally very critical towards cable reviews, especially when it involves premium cables.

Maybe start a new thread. This isn't the place for your philosophy of cable measurements.

Enough circles...

ReAlien

Never heard of Norne Audio cables but it is very strange to see here so many people talking about the cables they never intended to buy. It is a constant phenomenon — those who buy cables and hear the difference they provide never go on a crusade against anyone, but those who do not hear the difference between cables are always ready to condemn the other side and spit venom, full of "righteous" irritation with those who do not support their views. Never ceases to amaze me)

snowsurfer

Never heard of Norne Audio cables but it is very strange to see here so many people talking about the cables they never intended to buy. It is a constant phenomenon — those who buy cables and hear the difference they provide never go on a crusade against anyone, but those who do not hear the difference between cables are always ready to condemn the other side and spit venom, full of "righteous" irritation with those who do not support their views. Never ceases to amaze me)

Would you please point me to where in the video or article this "crusade" you speak of is, since I've seen the video back to back, I've read the post, and fail to identify the slightest hint of a "crusade" of any kind against anyone or anything.

ReAlien

Would you please point me to where in the video or article this "crusade" you speak of is, since I've seen the video back to back, I've read the post, and fail to identify the slightest hint of a "crusade" of any kind against anyone or anything.
I was referring to the 8 pages of comments, not the video. I'm not interested in watching it as I know Amir's views well enough.

RHO

Major Contributor
I was referring to the 8 pages of comments, not the video. I'm not interested in watching it as I know Amir's views well enough.
So you never read a comment from a person making unsubstantiated claims about audible differences between cables that those who do not hear it must be deaf? Never?

Let me rephrase that:
Never heard of Norne Medicine but it is very strange to see here so many people talking about these homeopathic drugs they never intended to take. It is a constant phenomenon — those who take homeopathic drug and feel better after they have taken them never go on a crusade against anyone, but those who do not believe in magical shaking are always ready to condemn the other side and spit venom, full of "righteous" irritation with those who do not support evidence based medicine. Never ceases to amaze me)

Same thing.
1) It's not true
2) Why do those who cannot support their claims in any way always ask for equal treatment as those who do support their claims with scientifically sound tests and the results? "You can not criticize my magic!!"

snowsurfer

Duly noted. People mocking the price tag hardly qualifies as a crusade though, but hey, we may well have a different interpretation of that word.

ReAlien

So you never read a comment from a person making unsubstantiated claims about audible differences between cables that those who do not hear it must be deaf? Never?
I did, but only in retaliation. I've never seen anyone starting such an argument from the "cable believers" camp. It usually looks like that:
- I have tried cable A and it's better than cable B, check it out, guys!
- This is bullshit / against the laws of nature / etc., you're making the stuff up and deluding yourself.
- No one is forcing you to try it if you do not believe me, what's your problem?
- You're a liar and a danger to the audio society!
- (getting angry) And you're deaf if you cannot hear it.

This is how it usually unfolds.
Same thing.
1) It's not true
2) Why do those who cannot support their claims in any way always ask for equal treatment as those who do support their claims with scientifically sound tests and the results? "You can not criticize my magic!!"

You can criticize whatever you want and I'll make up my mind about who you are and if you're worth listening to.

Top Bottom