• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roger Sanders' views on audio: The discussion thread

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Oh, I have one more Distortion compare.

M2 at DallasJustice's place. He smoked me (3rd harmonic), but hey, I tried...

upload_2018-4-11_16-18-54.png

I think I got closer, later, will look for that...

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Someone sort of brushed by it, but it could use being stated explicitly: gating the impulse response will give the same result as testing in an anechoic chamber. I believe that's what JA does in his speaker reviews, and I certainly do in mine. The tradeoff is how low in frequency the useful measured response will go.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Horizontal polars of Sanders. Model 11 without absorption and two with different kind absorption behind them.
Sanders Sound Systems Model 11 H Contour Plot.png

Sanders Sound Systems Model 11 with Anechoic Foam H Contour Plot.png

Sanders Sound Systems Model 11 with Back-Wave Absorber H Contour Plot.png

No doubt they beam a lot, which can also be seen clearly from DI index.
Sanders Sound Systems Model 11 with Anechoic Foam Horizontal DI Plot.png

Geddes speaker on the other have a classic collapsing polar, thus it's not a speaker with an even power response. The sudden widening in a sensitive area leads to colored spectral energy. Of course, Geddes would say this is outside the most critical area.

NS15.PNG

The Sanders have no crossover in the midrange though, which is definitive benefit IMO. One of the result of that is a speaker that sounds larger. However, the backwave from a dipole (if it isn't dealt with) will also tend to contribute to a larger sound field.

Jakob1863

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Someone sort of brushed by it, but it could use being stated explicitly: gating the impulse response will give the same result as testing in an anechoic chamber. I believe that's what JA does in his speaker reviews, and I certainly do in mine. The tradeoff is how low in frequency the useful measured response will go.

If JA still uses his MLSSA setup from DRA then he surely will use the time window method in his speaker measurements. In addition to the drawback you mentioned the gate time length imposes a restriction on the resolution frequencywise in the analyzed bandwidth.

Jakob1863

@oivavoi,

Interesting, Amir!

Maybe you know this: Does the assumed advantage of electrostats with regards to distortion and transients hold up? Has it been conclusive proved or disproved in comparativev loudspeaker measurements?

The low distortion is a feature directly related to the physics of electrostats (if used appropriately within the limits) and i can confirm that at least for Quads and Audiostatics really low distortion figures can be measured from ~200-300 Hz up (afair i´d have to dig in the archives for details) , which means <= 0.1 % .

But of course it´s possible to ruin this inherent feature by using inferior technology/parts in the speaker overall.

@amirm,

No, it has been the opposite with at least Martin Logan. In double blind tests they do poorly and their measurements show resonances that are problematic.

Up to now i´d only read about the MLs in the Harman tests, which were presumably a bit questionable wrt methodology, could you cite some of the others for comparison?

Last edited:

Jakob1863

Geddes advocates constant directivity. A speaker that "beams" is a speaker whose directivity narrows as the frequencies get higher.<snip>

So, it is a matter of definition. From the dictonary i only got the information "narrowed distribution" (retranslated from the german term "Bündelung") which doesn´t include per se any information wrt frequency.
Iirc i´ve noticed the expression mainly in conjunction with something like "at higher frequencies" or from "xxx hz up" ......

<snip>

That said, this starts to feel like an exercise in exegesis... there is not too much point in discussing what this or that authority really thinks. That doesn't make it any more true - all arguments and all evidence needs to be critically examined!

Of course. It was meant as a conclusion from his argumentation not as paraphrasing his current point of view (haven´t communicate with him for years) . :)

One will be an omni system which aims at recreating classical acoustic events (which I love) in a reasonably large room, and the other will be a more directional system (the D&D 8C) in a well-damped smaller room which aims at reproducing the constructed & artificial imaging of studio-created popular music (which I also love).

Lucky man! Seems to be a wise decision to use different systems.... :)

Last edited:
OP
oivavoi

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The low distortion is a feature directly related to the physics of electrostats (if used appropriately within the limits) and i can confirm that at least for Quads and Audiostatics really low distortion figures can be measured from ~200-300 Hz up (afair i´d have to dig in the archives for details) , which means <= 0.01 % .

But of course it´s possible to ruin this inherent feature by using inferior technology/parts in the speaker overall.

Interesting. Please do!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If JA still uses his MLSSA setup from DRA then he surely will use the time window method in his speaker measurements. In addition to the drawback you mentioned the gate time length imposes a restriction on the resolution frequencywise in the analyzed bandwidth.

That is why he stops at about 300 hz and pieces together the response curve for the low end. He uses a gate time that is related to the closest reflections in the room he has to measure speakers in for Stereophile. So he gates out reflections, but doing so restricts the resolution and low end of his gated measurements.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Disclaimer: I first met Roger many years ago, when he was still in Georgia. He now lives a couple of hours away but I have never been to visit, alas. I have long respected he and his speakers though he has his share of detractors. Note the interview itself is several years old and was discussed at length on various fora at the time.

I'll paste my comments into the text FWIWFM.

Challenge to y'all: I will list what I think are the most interesting claims he makes in the interview. Then I will ask you to indicate whether you agree or not - yes (Y), no (N), don't know (DK). And possibly motivate why. I will start myself to get the discussion going. Please read the interview first though!

1) "Roger Sanders makes the best loudspeakers in the world".
Doesn't every designer feel they make the best? ESLs in general are a special breed; you like them or not, ditto most planar dipoles. So I'd agree for some, disagree for others, but in general would not personally claim "best" at anything.

2) "A S.O.T.A. speaker must use an electrostatic midrange".
The reason he provides: "The reason that electrostatic speakers are so good is that they are the only type of midrange driver that has essentially no moving mass. Magnetic speakers simply cannot match the performance of electrostatics in the midrange because they are heavy so cannot be accelerated quickly and accurately at treble frequencies"
Well, there is mass, but it is driven across the diaphragm so creates a much different wavefront than conventional speaker drivers. Conventional speakers are sized and designed for the frequency ranges they cover. I personally tend to think the lack of multiple drivers and crossover issues in the midrange is part of the ESL magic. Some conventional speakers do very well at that as well; to my ears, my Revels are among the best I have heard. Some others, even high-priced models, seem to have hiccups in the midrange to me.

3) "Magnetic woofers have many problems with their enclosures that cause them to produce with a lot of overshoot and ringing that makes it impossible for them to integrate well with a massless electrostatic speaker".
The enclosure argument has been around a long time, but he does in fact use a magnetic woofer (transmission line) but with a lower crossover than most other ESLs. I think that is part of the reason I have preferred Sanders over some other ESLs. But, I have noticed that woofer integration has gotten a lot better over the years for things like Martin Logan ESL hybrids. The overshoot and ringing has to do with more than just the cabinet, of course, and overshoot and ringing in any design is undesirable for accuracy.

4) "The solution is to use a transmission line enclosure system to virtually eliminate overshoot and ringing in the woofer".
Along with other design features, natch, like proper enclosure/driver/amplifier integration.

5) "No speaker can be considered S.O.T.A. if it uses a passive crossover. All speakers will perform better when driven by active crossovers and individual amplifiers for each of their drivers".
Toughie. Some speaker do very well with passive crossovers, and a poorly-implemented active crossover can be a Bad Thing. The passive crossover in some designs improves matching to the amplifier, but the complexity and losses in a passive design means a good active design should work better most of the time IMO.

6) "Loudspeakers are the most important component in your system. All are seriously flawed. You should put most of your money and effort into getting the best ones you can".
Although we could debate the word "seriously" I tend to agree with this.

7) "Rooms interact with loudspeakers to seriously degrade the sound. It is essential to deal with this problem using proper positioning, room treatment, and DSP".
Yes, room interaction is a pain, but DSP is not a complete panacea, treatments can be over- or under-done, and positioning is sometimes less than ideal due to other considerations. I suspect most of us live fine with less than ideal rooms. I do question the validity of some reviews after seeing pictures of the reviewer's room; the claim is they know what it sounds like so can render accurate judgement, but being from Missouri I always think "show me".

8) "The distortion from a Class A amplifier is no lower than in a Class AB amplifier. So there is absolutely no reason to use Class A anymore"
In fact many pure class-A amplifiers have higher distortion, higher noise, higher output impedance, and lower stability compared to class AB amplifiers. Trades always.

9) "I do not consider switch mode (Class D) amplifiers to be high fidelity devices". (for full bandwith)
Reason: "This is because they do not have linear frequency response. Their high frequency response depends on the character of the load (the loudspeaker). Therefore they must be specifically adjusted to your specific speaker to have linear frequency response. Because woofers do not reproduce high frequencies, switch mode amps are excellent for driving woofers (which require a lot of power)".
Largely superseded by advances in both circuit topology and better devices available these days IMO.

10) "Digital recording media [and digital playback] is flawless. By comparison, analog is very poor".
Again as an engineer I rarely if ever speak in absolutes. I do not think digital is flawless, but much of the problems are due to the recording and mastering process rather than fundamental digital flaws. OTOH read some of Amir's reviews and you can see that implementation matters. Technically analog is usually poorer but in some cases the added artifacts sound more pleasing to folk than absolute acccuracy to the source. A preference vs. reference debate.

11) "As long as you use a data rate of 192 KBPS or higher, you cannot hear any difference between an MP3 recording and the original source".
Not competent to say, not enough experience with MP3s.

12) "DSP systems are extremely powerful and effective tools. They can improve all audio systems and every audiophile should use them".
[Sanders uses it for crossover and speaker eq, and recommends room correction in the bass but not in higher frequencies]
And just as capable of creating a mess in the wrong hands. Again the absolute "all" is beyond what I would say, not having heard all systems.

13) "There is no such thing as too much power"
Reason: "It is easy to show that most speaker systems require about 500 watts to play musical peaks cleanly. Most audiophiles use amps with far less power. Therefore audiophiles are comparing clipping amps most of the time".
Many people jump on the amplifier bandwagon when they are only averaging a few watts if that. OTOH the dynamic range is huge and it may well be more power is useful. Clipping tends to happen only briefly so I wonder how real a problem it really is, and of course if the power exceeds the speaker's limits it does you no good. There have to be reasonable bounds.

14) "Components that meet the Basic Quality Criteria (BQC) for high fidelity sound always sound identical to each other".
He mentions this as the basic quality criteria: "1) Inaudible noise levels (a S/N of 86 dB or better is required), 2) Inaudible wow and flutter (less than 0.01%) 3) Linear frequency response across the audio bandwidth (20 Hz - 20 KHz +/- 0.1 dB), 4) Harmonic distortion of less than 1%"
Too many variables left out. What about jitter, output impedance, multitone and IMD distortion, response during clipping, etc.? Again with the "always".

15) "You must do ABX testing to obtain valid results from listening tests".
Some sort of blind testing is pretty much required; eyes are too easy to fool. But it's hard to do even when you have the skill to create a valid test, resources to implement it, and sufficient time and subjects for a credible result. It can be very revealing, and humbling, when something you "know" is proven wrong. I have had it happen both ways; when I knew I could tell a difference but could not in a DBT, and heard a difference when I was sure it would not be there. What I have found is that often enough when I hear something "new" due to some system change, going back to the old system revealed it was there all along, and I simply hadn't noticed or had forgotten.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
11) "As long as you use a data rate of 192 KBPS or higher, you cannot hear any difference between an MP3 recording and the original source".
He is wrong about this. I can detect differences without much difficulty even when the content is selected by someone else, i.e. not a "codec killer." Here is an example of a few keys jingling, tested at 320 kbps versus original:

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v1.3.2
2014/07/19 19:45:33
File A: C:\Users\Amir\Music\Arnys Filter Test\keys jangling 16 44.wav
File B: C:\Users\Amir\Music\Arnys Filter Test\keys jangling 16 44_01.mp3
19:45:33 : Test started.
19:46:21 : 01/01 50.0%
19:46:35 : 02/02 25.0%
19:46:49 : 02/03 50.0%
19:47:03 : 03/04 31.3%
19:47:13 : 04/05 18.8%
19:47:27 : 05/06 10.9%
19:47:38 : 06/07 6.3%
19:47:46 : 07/08 3.5%
19:48:01 : 08/09 2.0%
19:48:19 : 09/10 1.1%
19:48:31 : 10/11 0.6%
19:48:45 : 11/12 0.3%
19:48:58 : 12/13 0.2%
19:49:11 : 13/14 0.1%
19:49:28 : 14/15 0.0%
19:49:52 : 15/16 0.0%
19:49:56 : Test finished.
----------
Total: 15/16 (0.0%)

So 15 out of 16 outcomes true with essentially zero probability of guessing.

Here is 192 kbps AAC (which is a much better codec than MP3) on a music track versus original:

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v1.3.2
2017/11/07 21:50:26
File A: C:\Users\Amir\Documents\Test Music\AAC test\01-01 Cadenza I (FLAC 96.0 kHz 24-bit)_02.flac
File B: C:\Users\Amir\Documents\Test Music\AAC test\01-01 Cadenza I (FLAC 96.0 kHz 24-bit)_02_01_192aac_01.wav
21:50:26 : Test started.
21:52:06 : 01/01 50.0%
21:52:24 : 02/02 25.0%
21:52:37 : 03/03 12.5%
21:52:57 : 04/04 6.3%
21:53:11 : 04/05 18.8%
21:53:22 : 05/06 10.9%
21:53:36 : 06/07 6.3%
21:53:48 : 07/08 3.5%
21:54:01 : 08/09 2.0%
21:54:22 : 09/10 1.1%
21:54:40 : 10/11 0.6%
21:55:14 : 11/12 0.3%
21:55:50 : Test finished.
----------
Total: 11/12 (0.3%)

So 11 out of 12 resulting in negligible priority of guessing.

----

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v1.3.2
2014/07/31 15:18:41

File A: C:\Users\Amir\Music\AIX AVS Test files\On_The_Street_Where_You_Live_A2.mp3
File B: C:\Users\Amir\Music\AIX AVS Test files\On_The_Street_Where_You_Live_A2.wav

15:18:41 : Test started.
15:19:18 : 01/01 50.0%
15:19:30 : 01/02 75.0%
15:19:44 : 01/03 87.5%
15:20:35 : 02/04 68.8%
15:20:46 : 02/05 81.3%
15:21:39 : 03/06 65.6% <--- Difference found
15:21:47 : 04/07 50.0%
15:21:54 : 04/08 63.7% <--- Dog barked!
15:22:06 : 05/09 50.0%
15:22:19 : 06/10 37.7%
15:22:31 : 07/11 27.4%
15:22:44 : 08/12 19.4%
15:22:51 : 09/13 13.3%
15:22:58 : 10/14 9.0%
15:23:06 : 11/15 5.9%
15:23:14 : 12/16 3.8%
15:23:23 : 13/17 2.5%
15:23:33 : 14/18 1.5%
15:23:42 : 15/19 1.0%
15:23:54 : 16/20 0.6%
15:24:06 : 17/21 0.4%
15:24:15 : 18/22 0.2%
15:24:23 : 19/23 0.1%
15:24:34 : 20/24 0.1%
15:24:43 : 21/25 0.0%
15:24:52 : 22/26 0.0%
15:24:57 : Test finished.

----------
Total: 22/26 (0.0%)

Granted, it is hard for most people to hear such differences so the general point is probably valid. But not to the extremes he goes.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
192 kbps is way too low. It's easy to hear a difference between MP3 in 192 kbps vs losless if you choose the right tracks. When you get up 256 kpbs it starts become trickier. I've also passed though a blindtest with 320 kbps vs lossless, but I needed to train slightly before I did the test. Exactly what you use for test material is very important. Personally I only hear a difference between 256 and 320 kbps vs lossless in the very highs, thus I need some music content that triggers exactly that sufficiently.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
<snip>
Geddes speaker on the other have a classic collapsing polar, thus it's not a speaker with an even power response. The sudden widening in a sensitive area leads to colored spectral energy. Of course, Geddes would say this is outside the most critical area.

View attachment 12023

The Sanders have no crossover in the midrange though, which is definitive benefit IMO. One of the result of that is a speaker that sounds larger. However, the backwave from a dipole (if it isn't dealt with) will also tend to contribute to a larger sound field.

Hi

What do you mean by the bold(ed) ?

FWIW, I have never heard a Sanders design. TO me he seems to take a saner and more engineer oriented than many in the High End Audio industry. Truth to be told , when you're selling you may need to sprinkle things with hyperbole .. thus some of his IMO, absolutists statements. Overall , I like his approach.
At this stage in my audiophile journey, I would not buy a speaker that beams so much. The level of convincing-ness ( allow me that expression, please :)) of a reproduction has, again IME, a lot to do with the balance of direct to reflected sound that reaches the ears, too much variation of that balance with respect to frequency tend to weaken the realism of the reproduction. all that IMO, IME , YMMV, etc ...

Last edited:

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi

What do you mean by the bold(ed) ?
Due to the variation in the directivity of the speaker, the reflected energy from the room will also be different, hence colored.

It's important that a speaker measures similar off-axis to on-axis at least in the vocal area. A horn speaker needs to be very big to achieve that. But when they are and the directivity is constant and doesn't beam much, they sound remarkable. Very few have heard such speakers. An Avantgarde speaker or a JBL waveguide speaker wouldn't meet the criteria.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
A horn speaker needs to be very big to achieve that. But when they are and the directivity is constant and doesn't beam much, they sound remarkable. Very few have heard such speakers.
I'll take your word for it. I've heard quite a few *huge* horns and they did nothing for me. They all had that 'PA' sound.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I very much agree with Don that lack of crossover in the vocal area is the main reason for the great midrange an electrostatic speaker has. Perhaps also combined with little room contribution due to high DI.
Low distortion has IMO very little to do with that, but it may contribute slightly positive in other areas. Some believe it causes less listening fatigue. Distortion can also be very low though with some other speaker designs.

I'll take your word for it. I've heard quite a few *huge* horns and they did nothing for me. They all had that 'PA' sound.
Horns are difficult to design. Most seem to have a lot of issues with either poor on-axis or off-axis response or both. Diffraction can also be an issue and most horns are simply too small. But I've yet to encounter someone who wasn't blown away when they heard a good horn speaker. It's closer to real sound (or an illusion) than anything IMO.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Panels must have appeared fantastic in the 1950’s.
Keith

Top Bottom