• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Visiting Japan this spring. Ideas?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm, I want to post a bunch of photos but the size limit restriction is really annoying. Were you able to find a plug-in to auto-resize photos during upload?

Is it not possible to embed photos posted to Google photos? That's how I've posted photos here, and it saves ASR some server space and bandwidth.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, I want to post a bunch of photos but the size limit restriction is really annoying. Were you able to find a plug-in to auto-resize photos during upload?
Unfortunately not. People are pleading with the platform creators to do it but they are refusing saying it is hard (it is not).

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the size limit? I found a batch resizer I can use locally.

Guermantes

Food quality in Japan is very good. I am not a big fan of the really authentic Japanese food, but loved the okinamiyaki and yakitori. I even tried Sashimi in one ryokan we stayed at in Takayama and liked it. I swore I would not eat raw meat before the trip, but I ended up trying some at this elaborate dinner they served us in Takayama. The diet in Japan is lacking in veggies but still people live very long in Japan. Must be all the green tea and portion control.

Actually in Japanese home cooking veggies are the norm and meat is rare, however uncooked vegetables are not considered edible so they are generally simmered. But if you eat out all the time then, yes, it is generally carbs, seafood and meat on the menu (which go well with beer!).

Did you have kaiseki-ryori in Takayama? I think the best meal I ever had was some of this at a ryokan in Kochi.

dish_img04.jpg

https://www.sansuien.co.jp/english/dish/index.html

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The first one below was in Nikko. A bit rural and in the most unexpected of places, there is a vending machine!

The 2nd one is outside on of the temples in Kyotos. It has fresh coffee beans and you can pick your beans and get different types of coffee. I have never seen such a thing outdoors.

IMG_20180330_170740.jpg
IMG_20180408_151031.jpg

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No pun intended? :D

IMG_20180402_132033.jpg

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This was on a train. You don't need to touch a thing!

IMG_20180404_142807.jpg

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never seen such a thing before. This was at the entrance to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum. It was a rainy day and we were carrying umbrellas loaned from the ryokan. Its a plastic bag cover for the umbrella so you don't drip all over the museum. They have made is so fun and easy to do.

IMG_20180406_113713.jpg

Guermantes

The first one below was in Nikko. A bit rural and in the most unexpected of places, there is a vending machine!

The 2nd one is outside on of the temples in Kyotos. It has fresh coffee beans and you can pick your beans and get different types of coffee. I have never seen such a thing outdoors.

There is very little vandalism in Japan, so even isolated vending machines remain unmolested. Sometimes they are even forgotten entirely:
_MG_5151.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Last edited:

Timbo2

I've never seen such a thing before. This was at the entrance to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum. It was a rainy day and we were carrying umbrellas loaned from the ryokan. Its a plastic bag cover for the umbrella so you don't drip all over the museum. They have made is so fun and easy to do.

View attachment 12017

Actually available in many NYC lobbies now. Insurance companies made a big push on them. They pay for themselves in slip and fall claim reduction.

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not unique to Japan.

A lot of things I mentioned are probably not unique to Japan. I was just trying to point out what got my attention based on my experience.

Actually available in many NYC lobbies now. Insurance companies made a big push on them. They pay for themselves in slip and fall claim reduction.

Typical of US - lawsuits driving changes.

Did you have kaiseki-ryori in Takayama?

No, never heard of it.

Actually in Japanese home cooking veggies are the norm and meat is rare

This is news to me.

BTW, did you go in a bathroom, wash your hands and then realize they have no paper towel or any other way to dry your hands?

Yes! About half of the toilets now have hand dryers which could be a new thing. Most of the toilets don't have soap though which is surprising for an otherwise clean country.

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My time in Japan. In the tokyo airport they have nice runways and waiting rooms and planes and stuff. Not much to do but wait for another plane though.

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Matter of fact, on takeoff there was a failure in one of the hydraulic valves on one of the wings of the aircraft but we were not past the point of either fly or crash so the pilot was able to stop the plane before takeoff. But we were at full throttle when the alarms went off!

Last edited:
OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They have a decent amount of shopping and food options at the Haneda airport. And the outdoor observation area - fresh air and sun while waiting for a plane!

IMG_20180410_150440.jpg
IMG_20180410_150310.jpg
IMG_20180410_150315.jpg
IMG_20180410_145855.jpg

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shinagawa station in Tokyo. Notice how depending on the destination there is a separate marked queuing guide. I've never seen this anywhere outside of Japan so far.

The third photo shows a few things - the timetable on the left, the display on the right which shows the current status and the yellow guideline on the floor for blind people - this yellow guide is everywhere in Japan - sidewalks, crossings, train stations etc. Braille is also omnipresent. If I ever become blind, I am moving to Japan.

IMG_20180410_131614.jpg
IMG_20180410_131915.jpg
IMG_20180410_132000.jpg

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When I worked for Sony, I always stayed at the hotel across from Shinagawa station because that is where Sony headquarter was located. So I have lots of memories of that station but not those markings. Then again that was some 20 years ago!

Top Bottom