• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need very small subwoofer

Willem

Major Contributor
The room is actually not that small, so a really small sub will struggle. Our living/listening room is a bit larger, but I had a similar problem. Using Quad 2805 electrostats made a sub desirable, but had exhausted what I could realistically expect to be tolerated. My solution was the B&W PV1d. It is small (not ultra small), looks stylish in our modern interior, and has enough extension for music (I measured some 13 Hz in our large room). It really sounds very good/clean, and much better than the few other small ones that I have heard. It comes in black and in white. Unfortunately, it is not that cheap.
Edit: However, now that I have looked at the SVS3000 micro I would not hesitate for a minute: it is much of the idea of the PV1d, but at a significantly lower price point. To be honest, get two for really good sound and much smoother in-room response.

Last edited:

Longshan

Hi

Let's not degenerate this in a misogynic rant-fest. For a marriage to survive, there will be compromises. Yielding some ground (literally) to the spouse is not a lack of manhood-ness :D. It is a prudent and wise way to keep some things of (greater?) value going. It is a matter of balance. For the record, I have my cave where I can do whatever I want ... yielding to the realities of communal life, I had to give up the Living Room :facepalm:
Some manufacturers are conscious of these choices. SVS, Kef. Kii , Dutch and Dutch. Genelec* could for one, there are other one of them I believe on this very forum. Thinking about it aloud: Really great speakers such as the D&D 8C and Kii 3 and Devialet Phantom (The spinorama and measurements jury is out on this one ).

*Genelec seems to have punted the Home market with their half-assed efforts. The One series are small enough to blend in many domestic environment. Genelec offers them in colors that can only please a coroner.

Genelec's The Ones aren't meant for your home stereo or movie setup. They have a line of high end listening speakers that do come in a wide range of colours.

I agree with your wife comments.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Men today have got to start standing their ground.
Her: "I've seen tiny little speakers." Me: "Those have a tiny little sound. It's physics! I'm not doing that." The end, because I'm a loudspeaker design engineer so she can't argue with me.
[insert image of me beating chest like Tarzan]
...just don't ask me about dining room table chairs...:rolleyes:

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SVS 3000 micro
I can't comment about the output measurements, however
- We really like an SB-2000 Pro being used in a 5.1 Focal setup (936/CC900/SR900). Sounds lovely, extremely nicely packaged, seems lot of support available if needed.
- A sub's output measurements are not the be-all and end-all. The ROOM has a huge effect, which placement can help, but if that is not enough then room correction software is needed like the SVS or ELAC.
- In a small sub especially, the opposed-woofer configuration of the SVS is better, due to vibration cancellation. Plus the SVS has a chunk more power.

OP
C

Charliecj

Thanks for all the comments. It’s been fun to follow. I made a compromise with the wife When watching a movie or concert, or listening to an album, I will put my speakers on stands. The stands will disappear at all other times. But now I need lighter stands‍♂️

ta240

Major Contributor
I was going to post something regarding wives, but i didn't want to offend anyone, seeing how easy that seems to be in todays cultural environment.
Seeing that you started the ball, i will keep it rolling.

It never fails to blow my mind everyday when i read these post's about the wife approval factor. "Really" we let them basically design the Kitchen, Bathroom and Bedroom. At the very least the man should have the guts or balls to stand up and say " I am designing the Entertainment room ".
If the don't like it, go around and start changing the Bedroom, Bathroom and Kitchen, see how fast they change their mind.
Men today have got to start standing their ground. Quit worrying what some yahoo says is supposed to be the knew normal. Because it ain't normal. When men start being men again, they will see how fast their wife actually enjoys and appreciates them even more.

I guess it depends on how many rooms you have. If you have a living room and an entertainment room but want to also bring some quality audio into the living room then I could see it needing to meet with both people's approval; just like everything else in that room.

Or if you are the type of guy that wants nothing at all to do with what is in any of the rooms and puts all of that work on the other person then there's a good chance you've probably given up most of your say in it. It would be like her suddenly deciding on rearranging the garage ;)

Thanks for all the comments. It’s been fun to follow. I made a compromise with the wife When watching a movie or concert, or listening to an album, I will put my speakers on stands. The stands will disappear at all other times. But now I need lighter stands‍♂️

yikes..... I'm not sure that meets the definition of a compromise and what do so many women have against speaker stands? I can see maybe not wanting Tekton Double Impacts conflicting with their design; but little, furniture grade speaker stands?

reminds me of the line "My wife wanted a cat and I didn't so we compromised and got a cat"

Last edited:
OP
C

Charliecj

I guess it depends on how many rooms you have. If you have a living room and an entertainment room but want to also bring some quality audio into the living room then I could see it needing to meet with both people's approval; just like everything else in that room.

Or if you are the type of guy that wants nothing at all to do with what is in any of the rooms and puts all of that work on the other person then there's a good chance you've probably given up most of your say in it. It would be like her suddenly deciding on rearranging the garage ;)

yikes..... I'm not sure that meets the definition of a compromise and what do so many women have against speaker stands? I can see maybe not wanting Tekton Double Impacts conflicting with their design; but little, furniture grade speaker stands?

reminds me of the line "My wife wanted a cat and I didn't so we compromised and got a cat"
It takes me one minute to setup. And sounds so nice. I can live with this compromise. I’ve still got a back room I can use if I ever want to setup another audiophile system.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a small white woofer.

Attachments

• downloadfile.jpg
    downloadfile.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 93

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I was going to post something regarding wives, but i didn't want to offend anyone, seeing how easy that seems to be in todays cultural environment.
Seeing that you started the ball, i will keep it rolling.

It never fails to blow my mind everyday when i read these post's about the wife approval factor. "Really" we let them basically design the Kitchen, Bathroom and Bedroom. At the very least the man should have the guts or balls to stand up and say " I am designing the Entertainment room ".
If the don't like it, go around and start changing the Bedroom, Bathroom and Kitchen, see how fast they change their mind.
Men today have got to start standing their ground. Quit worrying what some yahoo says is supposed to be the knew normal. Because it ain't normal. When men start being men again, they will see how fast their wife actually enjoys and appreciates them even more.

Let’s back off the Wife/Husband relationship advice please. Wrong Forum.

ta240

Major Contributor
It takes me one minute to setup. And sounds so nice. I can live with this compromise. I’ve still got a back room I can use if I ever want to setup another audiophile system.

:) so there is a dedicated listening room in the future.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Okay, how large of a sub can she tolerate? Are you open to building it and saving money?

OP
C

Charliecj

Okay, how large of a sub can she tolerate? Are you open to building it and saving money?
I’m looking at one of the small subs such as the Rel or SVS mini. I just ordered the RSL cg5’s bookshelf’s which are reviewed as sweet highs and good bass. Hoping I love them and then determine if I need the sub.

holbob

wow

OP
C

Charliecj

I ended up reviving my back room as a stereo room getting the RSL CG5’s. I absolutely love their sound! I will keep the 9 inch speakers in the living room and add a ten inch sub one day.

audio2design

Major Contributor
See my ‘subwoofer comparison’ spreadsheet for lots* of options.

Svs 3000 micro seems like a winner, but we’ll have to wait for cea-2010-a measurements to find out how well it performs.

Since you didn’t specify a budget, I can’t make further recommendations.

Wow! You just saved me untold hours of effort on something I am looking to do in a new system I am putting together!

OP
C

Charliecj

A system at the cottage that sounds great, but cannot be obtrusive. The plan is to use an array of small subs.
In my 14 by 14 room I do not need a sub thanks to the RSL’s. But in my bigger living room, I am looking at the RSL, SVS mini or one of the smaller Rels.

audio2design

Major Contributor
The subs are for better bass, not deeper bass. Room treatments are not an option. A sub array will help to even out the bass response.

PurdueDeep

Forum Donor
:oops:

I'm not offended, just depressed. :confused: ...About "today's cultural environment."
He also said ‘yahoo’ . My mans got zero respec and all the woofers hahaha. This post made my day, ironically.

Top Bottom