• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LEAF Dac Dual 9038Q2M VS Gustard X16 ! Pictures inside )

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Just to avoid misunderstanding, my comment was made to give fellow members some direction in case they would shy away from a product from perhaps "questionable provenance".
Obviously it wasn't intended for you, as you have it already in your system ;-)
A+ DT
(edited spelling)

No problem Bro ) Any positive feedback is welcome )

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I gave a test with the suggested XMOS drivers.
I am using a USB-C > USB-B cable by the way.

It sounds really good too.
This dac is really complete in the end! Whatever inputs are used, I was not disappointed)

Video :

https://streamable.com/yoac0q

Morpheus85

My order was sent to Germany today. Let's see what matters.

and the shop doesn't give me a correct answer to my question. I have now asked again what the module is for, what can be removed.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I already Know this
There are 7 op amps : 5 x jrc 4580 and 2x5532
Thanks anyway :)
Next step : 7x Opa1612 and 5x opa1612 + 2x1692

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Morpheus85

My device arrived today and it sounds really impressive. I changed the opamp right away and it sounds a little better. It is important that you install the XMOS driver so that you have a bit better sound.
I hardly hear any difference to my Geshelli Erish. The difference is made by the ESS chip. My SMSL DAC has an AKM chip and it sounds different.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
My device arrived today and it sounds really impressive. I changed the opamp right away and it sounds a little better. It is important that you install the XMOS driver so that you have a bit better sound.
I hardly hear any difference to my Geshelli Erish. The difference is made by the ESS chip. My SMSL DAC has an AKM chip and it sounds different.

Nice, could you share a little review after a listening session ?

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor

Veri

Master Contributor
I own a double AK4497 DAC + Gustard X16 and the Leaf DAC.
For me the AK449X chips have a different signature, both sound great but it is a matter of taste @the end )
Oh I believe you perceive it but honestly, I can't hear much of a difference between a good ESS or a good AKM DAC :oops:
AKM markets their stuff as sounding 'velvety'. There's no proof to it. People claim ESS is 'harsh'. No proof to it...
Anyway don't want to derail the thread but I think all these chips sounding very different can be taken with a grain of salt.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Oh I believe you perceive it but honestly, I can't hear much of a difference between a good ESS or a good AKM DAC :oops:
AKM markets their stuff as sounding 'velvety'. There's no proof to it. People claim ESS is 'harsh'. No proof to it...

I agree... I said "different signature" and both are great. )
I would say that my AK4497 (for me = subjective) is warmer, a bit more colored than the Leaf for instance. Some could love; other could not like....

Something is sure : The Leaf is great unit and @this price : unbeatable !

Morpheus85

My English is not good enough and I use the Google Translater to translate. A review will be rather bad.

Morpheus85

I have to say the bass through the headphone output is a bit too much for me. There are no problems via XLR to the Geshelli.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Likely to be inflated output impedance :)

What OP amps are You using for the headset module? Give a try with the opa 1622 they very linear.

Morpheus85

I have the 1622 in there. I also suspect this will be the output impedance.

Top Bottom