• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DA9 - Wait and see, or solid buy?

KiyPhi

How'd you connect SU-9, SH-9, and DA-9 together? The SH-9 doesn't have a passthrough/pre-out.
I'm not actually using the SU-9 for it at the moment, I'm using a Sonocoz but since you get the same power XLR to RCA, one could use RCA for the DA-9 and XLR for for SH-9 since it does matter what power you put in to it. I am trying more of a spread since my monitor is large and setting three on top of each other makes it too tall.

KiyPhi

I wonder about this as well, hopefully someone here could get the unit and measure its actual power.

What DAC will you be using with them? Also to keep in mind is that most of the Hypex NC122mp's available are only power amplifiers with balanced inputs, I also hate that many of them only have the power switch at the back, who the hell wants to reach to the back of an amp to turn it on and off!? I've considered getting one from March Audio, but would need my Topping D50s to double as a preamp and need to convert RCA to balanced. Ultimately, it was the killer shipping prices that made me give up, USD90 for shipping smh.

The DA-9 on the other hand has a remote, bluetooth, a screen, both RCA and balanced inputs, a much more convenient product imo.
I mean... I did, I just can't measure whether that power is clean. But given that all of the info I have gotten from them has been correct so far, I can't imagine that graph not being right for at least balanced input.

JohnnyN

I wonder about this as well, hopefully someone here could get the unit and measure its actual power.

What DAC will you be using with them? Also to keep in mind is that most of the Hypex NC122mp's available are only power amplifiers with balanced inputs, I also hate that many of them only have the power switch at the back, who the hell wants to reach to the back of an amp to turn it on and off!? I've considered getting one from March Audio, but would need my Topping D50s to double as a preamp and need to convert RCA to balanced. Ultimately, it was the killer shipping prices that made me give up, USD90 for shipping smh.

The DA-9 on the other hand has a remote, bluetooth, a screen, both RCA and balanced inputs, a much more convenient product imo.

I’m planning on buying the Soncoz LA-QXD1 DAC. Yeah, agree the DA-9 is a way more convenient product. If I went with the Hypex amp, I’d likely wind up adjusting the volume on my source (an iPad mini) or the DAC, so definitely not as convenient for me. So I’ve been debating whether it’s worth the inconvenience (and the much higher price tag) to hear an NCore amp, after reading so many good things about them.

You may already be aware, but, FYI, Audiophonics does make a Hypex NC122MP amp with RCA inputs. That said, Hypex recommends XLR inputs for all its units, even when using with a source with RCA outputs. Audiophonics makes a balanced version too—both are the same price and shipping to US (at least to where I live) is around $50, so about $500 all-in with taxes and shipping. Power button is on the front too.

jokan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm an owner of the outgoing smsl da-8s. I replaced the thermal grease with a paste for high powered CPU's and the amp runs colder than it did in factory form.
I want to buy the DA-9 but I'm not a fan of not being able to turn off the OLED screen. It's dimmable according to Shenzen, but they can't tell me how dim. OLED's have a short life and I NEVER turn my amplifier off. Something is always playing in at my place. So a screen that can't be shut off is a deal breaker for me. If anyone has one and can offer insight into how dark you can set the display, that would be greatly appreciated. I hope SMSL offers an update where the screen can be turned off. The DA-8s had that function, I don't see why they wouldn't give us that option for this model. Unless there are VU meters, I am not interested in looking at a display. It's either too quiet, or too loud! I don't need a screen to tell me what the volume is!

Thanks for any input about the display and it's brightness!

Destination: Moon

I'm an owner of the outgoing smsl da-8s. I replaced the thermal grease with a paste for high powered CPU's and the amp runs colder than it did in factory form.
I want to buy the DA-9 but I'm not a fan of not being able to turn off the OLED screen. It's dimmable according to Shenzen, but they can't tell me how dim. OLED's have a short life and I NEVER turn my amplifier off. Something is always playing in at my place. So a screen that can't be shut off is a deal breaker for me. If anyone has one and can offer insight into how dark you can set the display, that would be greatly appreciated. I hope SMSL offers an update where the screen can be turned off. The DA-8s had that function, I don't see why they wouldn't give us that option for this model. Unless there are VU meters, I am not interested in looking at a display. It's either too quiet, or too loud! I don't need a screen to tell me what the volume is!

Thanks for any input about the display and it's brightness!

I can only speak to the SU9 but you can turn the display dark enough so that people have complained they can't figure out how to enter the menu system to turn it back up. I have no idea if the displays are the same.

jokan

I can only speak to the SU9 but you can turn the display dark enough so that people have complained they can't figure out how to enter the menu system to turn it back up. I have no idea if the displays are the same.

Thanks for the feedback.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I wouldn't want the screen off ever, just dimmed... actually want to see the device is on and what it is doing.
people have complained they can't figure out how to enter the menu system to turn it back up.
Ah... bit of a gotcha there. ;)

JSmith

Premonition

I’m planning on buying the Soncoz LA-QXD1 DAC. Yeah, agree the DA-9 is a way more convenient product. If I went with the Hypex amp, I’d likely wind up adjusting the volume on my source (an iPad mini) or the DAC, so definitely not as convenient for me. So I’ve been debating whether it’s worth the inconvenience (and the much higher price tag) to hear an NCore amp, after reading so many good things about them.

You may already be aware, but, FYI, Audiophonics does make a Hypex NC122MP amp with RCA inputs. That said, Hypex recommends XLR inputs for all its units, even when using with a source with RCA outputs. Audiophonics makes a balanced version too—both are the same price and shipping to US (at least to where I live) is around $50, so about $500 all-in with taxes and shipping. Power button is on the front too.
That audiophonics does seem pretty good! I wouldn't recommend you do that route with the Hypex in that case, volume control would definitely end up being too much of a pain, honestly when i previously tried using my Topping D50s as a preamp it sounded pretty weird and unnatural to me.

That said, my SMSL SA300 came today, honestly a crazy bargain at 114usd from the anniversary sale, and it sounds noticeably better than the Aiyima A07, with a remote,screen,bluetooth,subout and much better build quality(i hate the aiyima's volume knob). Admittedly, I had low expectations because I think the SMSL AD18 sounds like trash.

The SA300 is surprisingly so good that I'm likely going to purchase the DA-9 soon.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
My SMSL DA-9 was delivered this past weekend. I use with my desktop system--Hidizs S9 -> SMSL DA-9 -> Markaudio Tozzi One.

My initial listening impressions are highly favorable. Low noise and very, very clear. The clarity is what stands out the most. Simple, intuitive interface. Remote works well. Impressive build quality.

Only hangup right now is that I'm getting some ground noise using the balanced out on the Hidizs to the balanced in on the SMSL. Working on resolving that, and using unbalanced in the meantime

Happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:

JohnnyN

That audiophonics does seem pretty good! I wouldn't recommend you do that route with the Hypex in that case, volume control would definitely end up being too much of a pain, honestly when i previously tried using my Topping D50s as a preamp it sounded pretty weird and unnatural to me.

That said, my SMSL SA300 came today, honestly a crazy bargain at 114usd from the anniversary sale, and it sounds noticeably better than the Aiyima A07, with a remote,screen,bluetooth,subout and much better build quality(i hate the aiyima's volume knob). Admittedly, I had low expectations because I think the SMSL AD18 sounds like trash.

The SA300 is surprisingly so good that I'm likely going to purchase the DA-9 soon.

Yeah, I have the Loxjie A30 built around the same chip as the DA-9 and l like it a lot (for the reasons PatentLawyer mentioned - very clear and quiet). For whatever reason, I like the fact that when I put my ear to the tweeters of my speakers I almost hear nothing. So I know I’d enjoy the DA-9, but I just picked up audio as a hobby and so part of me wants to hear something new, rather than having very similar amps at home in my living room and in my office near-field.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Does it heat up with some use? How's the screen?

No, it runs cool in my experience (I am driving a very simple 6 ohm+ load, though). The screen is crisp and clear. It can be dimmed to very dark (almost unreadable) and ramped up to very bright.

jokan

I wouldn't want the screen off ever, just dimmed... actually want to see the device is on and what it is doing.

Ah... bit of a gotcha there. ;)

JSmith

I hear you on knowing if the amplifier is working. I actually have only turned off my DA-8s once to apply CPU thermal paste that is designed for ultra high heat. I don't think it'll ever come off the pcb actually. It made my amplifier run so cool, it's actually cooler than the audio rack which is made of HDF material. If no sound is coming out, then I know there's a problem in my case. I don't require a screen to tell me if the unit is working. But I definitely understand the desire to see some sort of lighting. I run the RME-ADI 2FS for my DAC and the screen is off. I don't want the screen to burn out. OLED has a habit of premature death where the screen dies but the device still functions. I'd rather have the option to turn it off as the DA-8s had that option. It's only a firmware thing I think to make it so the screen can be dimmed to zero. Once mine arrives I will have the screen turned all the way down.

JPrufrk

The SA300 supports aptX and aptX LL, but no aptX HD. How about the DA-9? Also, how are you liking it so far?

jokan

I never thought to wonder about aptX HD... I actually won't be using it but it's nice to have it if it's available. I have a separate outboard BT5.0 AptX HD receiver/transmitter.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
To follow up, the DA-9 is even quieter than my first impression. I know this is not a tweak-friendly-forum, but I added an ifi iDefender+ ground loop breaker and external 5V source for my Hidizs S9, and now there is virtually ZERO noise even with the volume at 70 (max) and no program material. Pretty impressive all around given all the computer equipment on my desk and various switching power supplies...Do I listen at 70? No, but noise is noise.

pqrst

I just received the DA-9 today and my initial impressions are...interesting.

The sound is GREAT. The EQ settings are GREAT.

But there seems to be a problem:

My configuration is as follows:

SMSL SU-9 > XLR > Topping A90 > XLR Pre-Out > SMSL DA-9

When I raise the volume to 70 (max), there is a significant hiss.
Hooking up another DAC (Geshelli JNOG) via RCA directly to the DA-9 produces no hiss at max volume.
Hooking up the SU-9 directly to the DA-9 via XLR also produces no hiss even at max volume.

Now here's the really interesting bit:

The SU-9 and DA-9 are stacked. With the original configuration (SU-9 > A90 > DA-9) I can hear the hiss at 70 but if I hold both the SU-9 and DA-9 together with my hands on each side of the chassis, the hiss immediately goes away and comes back as I remove my hands. I guess there's a missing ground in the A90 Pre-Out? But I thought balanced connections are supposed to fix this kinda stuff! Interestingly the RCA Pre-Out out of the A90 to the RCA in on the DA-9 produces no hiss.

Realistically, the volume at 25-35 is more than enough for me so the hiss is not really audible at those levels anyway, but I'd still like cleaner output. My previous amp, the SMSL SA-50 had a totally clean output on RCA.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas to fix this?

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Ugh, what a pain. Sounds like it might be a missing ground. Just as an experiment, have you tried disconnecting pin 1 in the XLR from the Topping?

Also wonder if there's something off inside the Topping in terms of the ground connection.

jokan

I just received the DA-9 today and my initial impressions are...interesting.

The sound is GREAT. The EQ settings are GREAT.

But there seems to be a problem:

My configuration is as follows:

SMSL SU-9 > XLR > Topping A90 > XLR Pre-Out > SMSL DA-9

When I raise the volume to 70 (max), there is a significant hiss.
Hooking up another DAC (Geshelli JNOG) via RCA directly to the DA-9 produces no hiss at max volume.
Hooking up the SU-9 directly to the DA-9 via XLR also produces no hiss even at max volume.

Now here's the really interesting bit:

The SU-9 and DA-9 are stacked. With the original configuration (SU-9 > A90 > DA-9) I can hear the hiss at 70 but if I hold both the SU-9 and DA-9 together with my hands on each side of the chassis, the hiss immediately goes away and comes back as I remove my hands. I guess there's a missing ground in the A90 Pre-Out? But I thought balanced connections are supposed to fix this kinda stuff! Interestingly the RCA Pre-Out out of the A90 to the RCA in on the DA-9 produces no hiss.

Realistically, the volume at 25-35 is more than enough for me so the hiss is not really audible at those levels anyway, but I'd still like cleaner output. My previous amp, the SMSL SA-50 had a totally clean output on RCA.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas to fix this?

maybe you can add a thin grounding wire between the two units? small ring terminals on either end should create a ground loop. I'm waiting on mine and hope I don't encounter noise. But early adopters will always be the guinea pigs. I'm ok with that but hopefully they can fix it with a firmware update rather than a V2 circuit board. The DA-8s never had an update and was problem free. Could it be the larger OLED display that is causing this noise issue? Hopefully someone at SMSL will have answers coming. Are you connecting your gear via XLR or RCA? With enough minds working it out, we're bound to come up with a solution.

Top Bottom