• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Correction via MiniDSP DDRC24 DIRAC

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
my two subs are still in the front. one in a corner and another one to the other side which is open to the dining area. Here is the pic. I am relying on DIRAC to correct the 12 db peak between 20-40 HZ and 9 db dip between 50-60 HZ. Unfortunately the picture does not show it correctly as it is showing only one sub. Next week I will post the picture of the second sub as well.

unfortunately I am unable to run RCA cables to the opposite end of the room to place the subwoofer diagonally opposite to each other. with respect to big peak

I do have a pair XLRs running via a small tunnel running around the sides of the room but it has space only for two XLRs unfortunately. I am looking for a wireless option for the sub. but the SVS wireless module measured badly by Amir. Hence I am waiting for a better measured RCA wireless option. once available, I can experiment moving one of the sub to the diagonally opposite side. An other option is that my wife wants to replace the subs with white colored ones during the next couple of years. In that case, I may look for Arendal or Nubert subs and see if they have wireless option. At the end, I am still not a big fan of wireless stuff as something tells me that it will not play clean.

60 SINAD is much more than you would possibly need for a subwoofer tbh. Don’t let it deter you from wireless options. You only start hearing sub bass at 60 dB

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
I just received the Genelec wireless remote control yesterday. Prior to setting up the remote, I was using 20% volume on my IPAD running LMS/iPENG for Qobuz. The Genelecs were set to 0 DB in GLM. The set up was same for analog feed via XLR and digital feed via AES from Raspberry PI. Then I connected the GLM adapter to my front LR 8340's. The GLM adapter immediately identified the wireless remote and connected to it. Then switched on Raspberry PI feeding usb signal to Topping D10s. Initially there was no volume with the default volume of the remote out of the box. Then I increased the volume on iPAD to 100%. Then the speakers were live and my boy the sound was fantastic. So with full volume of Digital feed the sound is different and fantastic than 20% volume. I still need to introduce a new preset for my miniDSP which gets Toslink from Topping D10s for subs. This is because the volume of the subwoofers in miniDSP needs different setting for Analog inout from AVR and digital input from Topping. But then this is an exercise for next week.

By the way, from Qobuz I am able to get full 24/192 KHZ via Raspberry PI/Topping D10s (it has nice display to show the sample rate).

In conclusion, the Genelec wireless remote is worth it. Especially in my case where I am using only one measurement for both analog and digital feed in my Genelec speakers. I would propose if it is possible for you to try it and return it if you do not find it useful.

Just an additional comment. With this raspeberry pi/ Topping set up, unfortunately I am unable to set high pass filters in Genelec. This means Genelec is always getting full range. the subs are getting 20 HZ onwards and it takes until 250 HZ before rolling off. At this point, I am running this way. From an audiophile perspective, it is never good to send the same low frequencies to both speakers and sub. The issue is the topping has two digital outs. I can introduce a low pass in miniDSP/DIRAC for subs. However for Genelecs, I would need an external crossover to introduce a high pass on the digital AES feed. I need to figure it out, how I can do it. I need some research but one option is miniDSP nanoDIGI 2x8 B. For the time being, Genelecs are running full range with low freq also passed on to subs.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
60 SINAD is much more than you would possibly need for a subwoofer tbh. Don’t let it deter you from wireless options. You only start hearing sub bass at 60 dB

Sure, do you have any recommendations.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, do you have any recommendations.

Amir measured this one and it's reasonably priced.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-of-rel-wireless-subwoofer-transmitter.9165/

Just an additional comment. With this raspeberry pi/ Topping set up, unfortunately I am unable to set high pass filters in Genelec. This means Genelec is always getting full range. the subs are getting 20 HZ onwards and it takes until 250 HZ before rolling off. At this point, I am running this way. From an audiophile perspective, it is never good to send the same low frequencies to both speakers and sub. The issue is the topping has two digital outs. I can introduce a low pass in miniDSP/DIRAC for subs. However for Genelecs, I would need an external crossover to introduce a high pass on the digital AES feed. I need to figure it out, how I can do it. I need some research but one option is miniDSP nanoDIGI 2x8 B. For the time being, Genelecs are running full range with low freq also passed on to subs.

Why are you not feeding the Genelec's with digital input btw? I thought their shtick is to daisy chain them with AES cables.

Dathzo

I recently got the SVS soundpath and I have to say is pretty good. I don’t hear any negative impact from it (sinad is not a big deal at the lower frequencies that the sub plays). One great advantage is that it’s USB-powered directly from the SVS sub, which reduces the clutter even further.

Check this other review out, from a reliable source and measurements as well, showing that any eventual degradation it may produce is not an audible concern:

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/t...ireless-audio-adapter-kit-a-full-review.3828/

I‘m not sure where you are based, but in Europe (everywhere besides UK), the SVS goes for around 130eur, while the REL sets you back 250eur (not sure why, as it only costs 99usd in US). In any case, strongly advised ;)

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor

Thanks! I saw the REL review but I was not sure if I get this in Europe as REL is US based. Now I googled and I am getting them in EU for less than 200 bucks.

Why are you not feeding the Genelec's with digital input btw? I thought their shtick is to daisy chain them with AES cables.

for 2 ch music, I am feeding SPIDF AES cable from Topping D10s into Genelecs. But for movies, unfortunately there is no sound processor with digital output that is budget friendly (Storm audio costs more than 15K). Hence I am using the pre-outs from my AVR using a RCA XLR cable. Some are using HTPC/ Lynx AES PCI Express combo. But Netflix or Disney + via HTPC is not that good I heard.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
I recently got the SVS soundpath and I have to say is pretty good. I don’t hear any negative impact from it (sinad is not a big deal at the lower frequencies that the sub plays). One great advantage is that it’s USB-powered directly from the SVS sub, which reduces the clutter even further.

Check this other review out, from a reliable source and measurements as well, showing that any eventual degradation it may produce is not an audible concern:

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/t...ireless-audio-adapter-kit-a-full-review.3828/

I‘m not sure where you are based, but in Europe (everywhere besides UK), the SVS goes for around 130eur, while the REL sets you back 250eur (not sure why, as it only costs 99usd in US). In any case, strongly advised ;)

@Dathzo Thanks! I will take a look at it. The review is promising. Are you using SVS sound path for both the subs? Did you notice any wireless drop outs?

Dathzo

@Sprint, I have only 1 sub at the moment and there I’m using the soundpath. Zero dropouts so far (I have only used it for 2 weeks but with heavy service, many hours of listening and measuring, no problem at all :))

Dathzo

@Sprint, I have only 1 sub at the moment and there I’m using the soundpath. Zero dropouts so far (I have only used it for 2 weeks but with heavy service, many hours of listening and measuring, no problem at all :))
One thing to be aware of, is that it theoretically introduces a delay of 25ms. This is not a problem for your DDRC24 to eventually compensate. I have mine closer to the listening position than my mains, so through REW, I obtained a delay of 11.5s to phase-align it with the mains. The delay is something you will encounter with any wireless system in any case

markb

unfortunately I am unable to run RCA cables to the opposite end of the room to place the subwoofer diagonally opposite to each other. with respect to big peak

I do have a pair XLRs running via a small tunnel running around the sides of the room but it has space only for two XLRs unfortunately. I am looking for a wireless option for the sub. but the SVS wireless module measured badly by Amir. Hence I am waiting for a better measured RCA wireless option. once available, I can experiment moving one of the sub to the diagonally opposite side. An other option is that my wife wants to replace the subs with white colored ones during the next couple of years. In that case, I may look for Arendal or Nubert subs and see if they have wireless option. At the end, I am still not a big fan of wireless stuff as something tells me that it will not play clean.

Don't go wireless. :) Two way better wired alternatives I can think of:
  • Very thin XLR cable exists; e.g. the Procab MC105 is only 3mm in diameter - you may be able to fit in a few more cables in your channel that way. I've used that in the past to squeeze cables through some really tight spaces.
  • You could run (S)FTP CAT5/6/7 cable instead, and use some XLR-over-UTP products like the Thomann sssnake on either side to get 4 XLR cables (or 8 channels if using AES3) on a single shielded CAT cable. (UTP cables signal at up to hundreds of megahertz, not 20 kHz :)

Top Bottom