• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THX Onyx Review (headphone adapter)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

LearningToSmile

A bit pricey for what it is indeed. But I bet it's going to be available on sale closer to $150 pretty frequently.

I kinda want to get a portable dac/amp, but am I the only one who'd rather have a bulkier one in the style of Topping NX4 or iFi Hip Dac than something like that? They're larger but I feel like I'd have an easier time pocketing something flat like them rather than an awkward dongle.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw announcements of this new product in the "Technology" section of my Google News page this morning, including one from Engadget by a B. Steele, who wrote:

For the extreme-est of said high fidelity, THX has designed the Onyx to support the aforementioned MQA or master-quality audio. Masters include all of the original details of a recording, or how the music was tracked in the studio or during a live performance. MQA tech captures and authenticates the audio before "folding" it into a streaming-friendly file size (MQA literally calls it "Music Origami"). The Onyx has a MQA renderer onboard to reproduce all of the intricate sounds by "unfolding" encoded files from a service like Tidal.

Can someone please elaborate on what the "intricate sounds" "unfolded from a service like Tidal" by MQA actually are?

What is missing in other digital encoding methods that MQA magically includes?

Although Amir's review found a very good product with above average "fidelity", such comments sound a bit "snake oily" to me.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But then again, people sometimes pay 2 times this price for inferior performance.
There is always a group of customers saying "if it's cheap it can't be good", and manufacturers/sellers know it.
Well, it's not a Dragonfly!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As I recall the Helm Bolt is also THX certified and MQA certified. At half the price. This did better in the 33 ohm test however.

Amir, do you ever rest? Been on one hell of a roll lately. Many thanks
That's not a dac though, or is it?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw announcements of this new product in the "Technology" section of my Google News page this morning, including one from Engadget by a B. Steele, who wrote:

Can someone please elaborate on what the "intricate sounds" "unfolded from a service like Tidal" by MQA actually are?

What is missing in other digital encoding methods that MQA magically includes?

Although Amir's review found a very good product with above average "fidelity", such comments sound a bit "snake oily" to me.
Dongle turn Pink. Pink better.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As I recall the Helm Bolt is also THX certified and MQA certified. At half the price. This did better in the 33 ohm test however.

Amir, do you ever rest? Been on one hell of a roll lately. Many thanks
He can rest when he's tested his own ether cx and Martin's Burson. Until then, the shackles stay on.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
On cost, this is being sold through a channel which takes it own cut. And the device has been through full set of certifications, etc. So it is not fair to compare it to direct sales of a company without similar brand. Yes, it is still expensive but not as much as it seems on surface.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On cost, this is being sold through a channel which takes it own cut. And the device has been through full set of certifications, etc. So it is not fair to compare it to direct sales of a company without similar brand. Yes, it is still expensive but not as much as it seems on surface.
But we know those certifications (THX, MQA) don't offer any appreciable value to consumers, and companies can attain "THX" certification relatively cheaply. It's also sold through Razer who are notorious for marking up their products because of their brand awareness, built from many years of targeted marketing and advertisement.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The desktop dac and headphone areas have been figured out and virtually perfected at low price points.
Now looks the same for all in one dongles.

grauskala

But we know those certifications (THX, MQA) don't offer any appreciable value to consumers, and companies can attain "THX" certification relatively cheaply. It's also sold through Razer who are notorious for marking up their products because of their brand awareness, built from many years of targeted marketing and advertisement.
Well, at least it doesn't come with an energy drink and RGB lights...

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Entirely correct, apologies I was thinking of this thingy, which I never did see any point to..

https://drop.com/buy/helm-audio-db12-aaamp-thx-amp
No apology necessary. I was guessing you may have had the two Helm products confused. Easy to do with so many dongles, DACs, portable amps coming out of the woodwork. But the Helm Bolt has the same THX and MQA certifications. The Bolt may have been the first DAC/Amp dongle to get the THX stamp.

DanTheMan

I’m just glad to see more big names stepping up to bat. I just hope they don’t flood out the little guys who started these ultimate performance portable DAC/amps. I do think that consumers of these type of devices are generally more savvy now because the information is available. Yeah, there are some who will part with their cash for the certificates and the name recognition. I’m fine with that. As long as the consumer is getting what they pay for and in this case, I think they are. It’s just not an extraordinary deal like the Tempotec. What a great time to be an audiophile

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI THX told me the design is available to companies who want to build their own versions. That may lead to lower price points especially if the hardware is not as fancy as this one. This for example uses a fully machined chunk of aluminum. Has that fancy wire and grommet. A bare unit made out of a cheap enclosure possibly without MQA, sold direct should bring the price down.

Andysu

Major Contributor
What is inside it? I mean a razer THX badge on it, for £200 really. Both my cinema THX crossover monitors was £100 and far larger and heavier and each had the THX crossover cards intact where they usually are sent back to Lucasfilm as they are only leased to THX cinemas.
So what is inside this, THX dongle, crack it open and lets see the common parts inside it as the plastic case well nothing special about that and the lead cable and USB end those parts are common and cheap. So what is inside it?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom