• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophile jewelry - most beautiful Cd players, turntables and other gear

PatriciaP

Forum Donor
Talk Electronics amplifier, I like wave design that is part of that generation.
63A57763-CBDD-4378-9070-122BE75CFBAD.jpeg
4D4B3444-D263-402F-A7A1-C8DBFD5170BF.jpeg

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Early Luxman sq 38-this is what an amplifier should look like. Nearly bought one from Japan last year but stopped myself in the nick of time. Almost useless in the modern audio system but I could have just looked at it.

Attachments

• 76A09B18-700B-45F8-AD72-9BA774E93AA4.jpeg
    76A09B18-700B-45F8-AD72-9BA774E93AA4.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 199

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of almost useless, my idler drive turntable. Might redo the plinth as it works but the proportions aren’t quite there. The restored motor 301 unit is a masterpiece IMO. Interesting story behind it but I’m sure no one would be interested.,.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Back in the 90's I hankered after a system built with musical fidelity X-A1 series, always thought they looked good.

(can't find a linkable pic to post)

DSJR

Major Contributor
Don't think many of these Apt Holman preamps came over this way. I love the design though, apparently the tech was first class inside and externally, it kind of reminds me of the Braun/Rams way of doing things.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't think many of these Apt Holman preamps came over this way. I love the design though, apparently the tech was first class inside and externally, it kind of reminds me of the Braun/Rams way of doing things.

There is esthetics in ergonomics (at least Keats thought so). The apt had everything except remote control.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned an Apt Holman for many years and today I regret that I sold it.

Handsome as the plain round knobs were, I fund them unergonomic, especially the selector and volume. I replaced them with knurled knobs from Radio Shack though I retained the originals and included them when I sold the unit.

AptHolman_frontS.jpg

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I loved the looks of the Luxman PD-264 when I owned one, but upon closer examination, it looked cheaply made: The rosewood trim and brushed-aluminum top are vinyl laminates on thin pressed wood product. I might have been able to forgive that if it had performed well, but I recall lousy pitch stability, and the auto-lift mechanism didn't work especially well.
luxman%20264_small.jpg

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first piece of Mark Levinson electronics was the ML-1 preamplifier, and though I was very proud of it at the time, it's sonics were colored (and not in a particularly pleasing way). Today, I'd regard it as a display piece or a candidate for all-new innards. The ML-10 which I replaced it with was better, though not particularly quiet. It wouldn't surprise me if a 1980s Hafler DH101 preamp were superior to either.
ML-1+d.jpg

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mag Lev Turntables look very cool.
View attachment 122448
Yeah, this is audio jewelry at its best. Whoever designed this thing has absolutely no clue how a turntable works. Arm bearing and platter bearing need a 100% rigid connection, otherwise the tiniest movement of the platter translates into movements of the pickup and hence into a signal which is not related to the music.:facepalm:

Semla

Yeah, this is audio jewelry at its best. Whoever designed this thing has absolutely no clue how a turntable works. Arm bearing and platter bearing need a 100% rigid connection, otherwise the tiniest movement of the platter translates into movements of the pickup and hence into a signal which is not related to the music.:facepalm:
Funded by a Kickstarter campaign, of course. Only a few backers received their TT. Also, don't come too close with a pacemaker, and don't place this thing close to other electronics...

OP
Harmonie

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Agree,
But this "Jewelry" thread is also about "bling", so who cares :p

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Agreed. I once had a similarly irrational Stanton turntable which was fun but that's all.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. I once had a similarly irrational Stanton turntable which was fun but that's all.
Yep. About two years ago I was at my local dealer where a sales man (AFAIR from Clearaudio) demonstrated a turntable with a magnetic platter bearing. He showed how the platter could move freely in vertical direction, but the tonearm stayed firm. I raised my doubts but he just said that this would be no problem.:confused:

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They took one argument from the audiophile - separating the platter from the motor (direct drive) or belt, was always the fatal flaw audiophiles saw in turntable design. I can hear the ghosts over the years right now - "If only the direct drive motor, with its stable rotation, could somehow be decoupled from the platter. That is why only the best turntables use belts, but alas, the belts are prone to age and rotational speed is never as good as direct drive."

Someone from Mag Lev was listening with green in his eyes. "I can meet that standard.", he thought to himself, "And anyway, audiophiles don't believe in testing anyway, it's all about the eyes."

Top Bottom