• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

gino1961

... The L30 is designed to be used with low output R sources. Best to use devices in circumstances they are designed for.
Perfect and thanks a lot for the valuable advice :)
however the fact of having a more "universal" amp could also be nice even if it would mean to sacrifice a little the overall distortion/noise of the unit.

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
Thanks to whoever posted the Facebook screenshot. I requested a replacement for my 2007* unit from Shenzhen Audio.

I haven't had any failures with it, but I've noticed a bit of crackling in the 6XXs. Bummer that I sold my THX 789...
Shenzhen Audio is shipping a replacement. I was only required to send them a photo of the L30 SN sticker. (Glad I left it on there!) There was no out of pocket cost, and I do not have to prove I destroyed the old amp. (Tho ethics probably require that I do.)

It might cost SA (and Topping) a couple ¥ but I'll certainly shop there again after this straightforward replacement.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
E30 serial numbers doesn't matter. All L30's produced and sold now by the bigger stores are all 'fixed'.
How would you rate the potential for a unit being an old one if it is sold used on Amazon Warehouse Deals today (April 5 2021)

zenki

There are no damping issues with DACs.
The L30 is designed to be used with low output R sources. Best to use devices in circumstances they are designed for.
Sorry but what does this mean? Earphones with low impedance?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sorry but what does this mean? Earphones with low impedance?

It is meant to be used with low output R sources such as DAC's, pre-amps, phone output voltages.
It is not designed to be used with exotic and high output R devices like tube pre-amps or other sources with an unusual high output R.
Even most of those can probably be used but may require the H gain setting.

How would you rate the potential for a unit being an old one if it is sold used on Amazon Warehouse Deals today (April 5 2021)

I have no idea. Buy one, check the ser. # and as has been seen I would always check if the pogopin (for grounding) is in place. Turns out that possibly they might get loose. So perhaps owners should check (multimeter or unscrewing the backplate) if the pogopin is actually there.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just bought an L30 on ebay for great price, had no idea there was this issue. The serial number starts with 2011...

I assume you cannot return it as it is second hand.

You are in 'luck' because the 2011 serial number (secretly) also had the improved DC protection PCB found in the 2012 versions so at least the headphones will be 'safe' when it is accidentally destroyed by a static discharge.
I would strongly recommend (assuming you cannot return them and they are not from an authorized seller) that you ensure that the enclosure is properly connected to the RCA shields.

There are ways to do this but requires opening up the device and some soldering.

zuhandenheit

I assume you cannot return it as it is second hand.

You are in 'luck' because the 2011 serial number (secretly) also had the improved DC protection PCB found in the 2012 versions so at least the headphones will be 'safe' when it is accidentally destroyed by a static discharge.
I would strongly recommend (assuming you cannot return them and they are not from an authorized seller) that you ensure that the enclosure is properly connected to the RCA shields.

There are ways to do this but requires opening up the device and some soldering.

How certain is it that the unit will fail? I unfortunately have no soldering experience or a soldering tool.

It seems like the ebay seller would likely accept a return, worst case scenario.

Frio

How certain is it that the unit will fail? I unfortunately have no soldering experience or a soldering tool.

It seems like the ebay seller would likely accept a return, worst case scenario.
In that case try to give it back or get eBay to work. There is no reason to coble it together yourself, you got scammed. And the producer didn't call back all units. Now there are so e guys trying to sell off units they didn't have to return. Some sellers didn't even look if those faulty units were destroyed. Now they can still damage the reputation of topping and your ear drums.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-faulty-topping-l30-amplifiers-in-ebay.20774/

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is meant to be used with low output R sources such as DAC's, pre-amps, phone output voltages.
It is not designed to be used with exotic and high output R devices like tube pre-amps or other sources with an unusual high output R.
Even most of those can probably be used but may require the H gain setting.

I have no idea. Buy one, check the ser. # and as has been seen I would always check if the pogopin (for grounding) is in place. Turns out that possibly they might get loose. So perhaps owners should check (multimeter or unscrewing the backplate) if the pogopin is actually there.

$86 and free returns, so willing to roll the dice...may be snake eyes, may be a great deal. No risk.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I would return them if possible. The low price is for a reason.

Impossible to say if and when the amp may go defective. That depends on how often one experiences static 'jolts' in the winter time in the house.

ctakim

Forum Donor
This is a long and honestly sad thread. I feel for those whose headphones were damaged by this unit. I am glad that the manufacturer has tried to make amends but for me there are lessons to be learned here. First, there is more to good engineering than just SINAD measurements. Second, inexpensive electronic equipment may have shortcomings that are not immediately apparent, so caveat emptor. Third, I have delighted in getting high functioning economical audio products recommended by ASR, such as the Topping D10s DAC, but I will be more cautious in the future. Sometimes you do get what you pay for!

Top Bottom