• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mayday- What streamer/player for Qobuz (rookie)

hugo86e

Hello everyone,

I'm still a rookie regarding hi-fi and there is a point that I still don't understand: how to best wirelessly stream/cast Qobuz 24 bits hi-res files from the ios native app to my analog stereo integrated amp. FYI, I don't have a network NAS with flac files or anything- I only use Qobuz or Tidal.

First, I've seen that airplay is limited to 16/44.1 cd quality, so I thought that the right move was to use the toslink output of a Chromecast Audio with a nice reviewed DAC such as the topping E30 (btw, a big thanks to amirm's work and reviews- very interesting, I've learned a lot) to stream up to 24/92 files. However, I can read everywhere that one has to use another player such as Roon/Audirvana/Plex/etc instead of the Qobuz native app. First thing is, I just don't understand why?! Why is it so much better? As good as can be those players, their ios app are just remote apps and I don't want to have a desktop computer ON everytime I want to stream qobuz.

So then, is there any solution here?

I think I've read people are using raspberry pi 4 USB output to DAC and with something called ropieee xl but i'm not sure to understand.. Would I be able to use qobuz native app with that?

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for the rookie questions :)

Sprint

Forum Donor
@hugo86e I am also a big Qobuz user. I was searching for a streamer as well. The options I had recommended by ASR members was

1. Raspberry PI4 + Picoreplayer + LMS combo with Topping D10s (USB SPIDF/TOSLINK splitter and a DAC with RCA outs).
2. Bluesound Node 2i
3. Yamaha WXC-50

I went with option 1. Not expensive and very easy to install picoreplayer on RPI4. Just took me 10-15mts to install. You can either use material skin plugin within LMS or use IPENG (available for iPhone/iPad). I alternate between material skin and IPENG on my IPAD. During the set up, I just gave my Qobuz credentials in LMS. Once the setting is done, I see my picoreplayer in IPENG app on my IPAD/Iphone. Then I can select Qobuz app and I can access everything. I just press play and the RPI4 will play my music into my speaker via Topping D10s.

Am very happy with the sound quality.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
However, I can read everywhere that one has to use another player such as Roon/Audirvana/Plex/etc instead of the Qobuz native app. First thing is, I just don't understand why?! Why is it so much better? As good as can be those players, their ios app are just remote apps and I don't want to have a desktop computer ON everytime I want to stream qobuz.

Qobuz app can connect to a Chromecast Audio via Chromecast protocol on iOS, Android and Chrome OS. I don't know about Windoze or Mac OS, but assume there, as well.

Mindhead1

Qobuz app can connect to a Chromecast Audio via Chromecast protocol on iOS, Android and Chrome OS. I don't know about Windoze or Mac OS, but assume there, as well.
The Chromecast Audio would be an ideal solution but i find that my CCAs struggles with stuttering and drop outs with anything over 16/44 when using Qobuz. This is not the case when I stream higher res files via Plex.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look at the Matrix Audio element options and Lumin line (U1 mini is cheapest)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Bluesound Node 2i is my streamer of choice and it's wonderfully simple and sound good with an outboard DAC. They can be found well under the$500 asking price, even new on eBay and sometimes on AVS forum for sale section. You only need a smartphone or table or laptop to use the app. There is even a USB port on the back where one can insert their USB drive or SSD to play local files. Unfortunately it doesn't do DSD but if you're only streaming Qobuz that's not an issue.

Reactions: pjn

Mindhead1

Hello everyone,

I'm still a rookie regarding hi-fi and there is a point that I still don't understand: how to best wirelessly stream/cast Qobuz 24 bits hi-res files from the ios native app to my analog stereo integrated amp. FYI, I don't have a network NAS with flac files or anything- I only use Qobuz or Tidal.

First, I've seen that airplay is limited to 16/44.1 cd quality, so I thought that the right move was to use the toslink output of a Chromecast Audio with a nice reviewed DAC such as the topping E30 (btw, a big thanks to amirm's work and reviews- very interesting, I've learned a lot) to stream up to 24/92 files. However, I can read everywhere that one has to use another player such as Roon/Audirvana/Plex/etc instead of the Qobuz native app. First thing is, I just don't understand why?! Why is it so much better? As good as can be those players, their ios app are just remote apps and I don't want to have a desktop computer ON everytime I want to stream qobuz.

So then, is there any solution here?

I think I've read people are using raspberry pi 4 USB output to DAC and with something called ropieee xl but i'm not sure to understand.. Would I be able to use qobuz native app with that?

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for the rookie questions :)

Before getting into Roon/Audirvana, etc. I recommend experimenting with a simple Raspberry Pi to USB DAC setup and trying the different OS options available. Volumio has the most polished UI with iOS and Android apps, but integrating with Qobuz comes at a price.

I use MoOde on my RPi and access Qobuz via mConnect HD app on my iPad. It‘s not the most polished app, but it works well and the music sounds great which is the most important thing. MoOde is easy to install and get up and running.

piCorePlayer is supposed to be another good option which I plan to try in the near future, but seems to have more complex configuration process based on my reading.

Roon and Audirvana are great, but I would see if the options mentioned above meet your requirements before investing in those software product.

OP
H

hugo86e

The Bluesound Node 2i is my streamer of choice and it's wonderfully simple and sound good with an outboard DAC.

I’m not ok with the idea to spend more money in a device and not using its onboard DAC..

Look at the Matrix Audio element options and Lumin line (U1 mini is cheapest)

That’s out of budget for me..

This is not the case when I stream higher res files via Plex.

Pitty PlexAmp is only compatible with Tidal but not Qobuz yet..

Before getting into Roon/Audirvana, etc. I recommend experimenting with a simple Raspberry Pi to USB DAC setup and trying the different OS options available.

Roon and Audirvana are great, but I would see if the options mentioned above meet your requirements before investing in those software product.

That’s my plan :). I’ve got a RPI3b+ on its way. I will consider @Sprint’s option first with LMS and iPeng/material skin.

When you say Volumio is compatible with Qobuz for a fee, do you mean through the volumio app?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're certainly welcome to use the onboard DAC on the 2i. Many wouldn't discern an audible difference between onboard and outboard DAC. Amir did find a bit of degradation when using the optical in on the 2i. Perhaps read Amir's review for more detail.

Max

Forum Donor
ChromeCast Audio is fine for me (until 24/96) and if you don't use room correction or equalizer, it is the best solution with the native Qobuz app :)

Edit: with Toslink output

Mindhead1

I’m not ok with the idea to spend more money in a device and not using its onboard DAC..

That’s out of budget for me..

Pitty PlexAmp is only compatible with Tidal but not Qobuz yet..

That’s my plan :). I’ve got a RPI3b+ on its way. I will consider @Sprint’s option first with LMS and iPeng/material skin.

When you say Volumio is compatible with Qobuz for a fee, do you mean through the volumio app?

Volumio has a subscription fee for accessing higher level functionality like Qobuz access and Bluetooth. I like the Volumio UI, but I don’t like the subscription model they have. Not at $30/year.

I use MoOde and it works for me even though it’s not as polished on the interface front.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Chromecast Audio will work directly from the Qobuz app. However, I think it’s not the ideal solution. At least on iOS any Googlecast device has the same issue - you connect to it and can play to it, however it will disconnect the control plane on the phone pretty much within seconds of the phone screen being turned off, or another app loaded in foreground.

So while the device keeps playing whatever you instructed it, since it streams directly off the net, once you go back to the Qobuz app, you won’t be able to control it (pause, skip, play something else) until you reconnect to the Googlecast device. This will get old really quickly.

If you’re happy to load a large playlist and fire-and-forget, the Chromecast will do fine. If you like to manually change tracks a lot, I guarantee that this partially broken implementation will get really annoying.

I personally think it’s much nicer to get a streamer that supports Qobuz directly.

Mindhead1

The Chromecast Audio will work directly from the Qobuz app. However, I think it’s not the ideal solution. At least on iOS any Googlecast device has the same issue - you connect to it and can play to it, however it will disconnect the control plane on the phone pretty much within seconds of the phone screen being turned off, or another app loaded in foreground.

So while the device keeps playing whatever you instructed it, since it streams directly off the net, once you go back to the Qobuz app, you won’t be able to control it (pause, skip, play something else) until you reconnect to the Googlecast device. This will get old really quickly.

If you’re happy to load a large playlist and fire-and-forget, the Chromecast will do fine. If you like to manually change tracks a lot, I guarantee that this partially broken implementation will get really annoying.

I personally think it’s much nicer to get a streamer that supports Qobuz directly.

CCA and Qobuz for me from iOS or MacOS Client stutters and drops of I try and stream anything over 16/44.

Once I set apps to 16/44 it works fine. That said, the RPi through the DAC sounds better than CCA via optical through my DAC.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
CCA and Qobuz for me from iOS or MacOS Client stutters and drops of I try and stream anything over 16/44.

Once I set apps to 16/44 it works fine. That said, the RPi through the DAC sounds better than CCA via optical through my DAC.
That sounds like a WiFi limitation. Mine are next to the router. So it works to the max supported, which I think is 24/96 (I don’t have Qobuz any more so I cannot test it right now) without any problems except for the control disconnection in the phone, which is a deal breaker for me since I have an iPhone.

Otherwise the Chromecast Audio is a good device, I own two. It’s a shame that on iOS they aren’t willing to fix this bug, since there would be ways to keep alive the connection.

Mindhead1

That sounds like a WiFi limitation.

I don't think it's a Wifi issue. I have had no problems with streaming Hires files in my network to the CCA and no issues with Qobuz via UpNP to my RPi streamer.

I also own 2 CCAs. One is the source for tube amp and the other is hooked up to my integrated amp, but seeing a lot less use since I setup the RPi streamer.

OP
H

hugo86e

@hugo86e I am also a big Qobuz user. I was searching for a streamer as well. The options I had recommended by ASR members was

1. Raspberry PI4 + Picoreplayer + LMS combo with Topping D10s (USB SPIDF/TOSLINK splitter and a DAC with RCA outs).
2. Bluesound Node 2i
3. Yamaha WXC-50

I went with option 1. Not expensive and very easy to install picoreplayer on RPI4. Just took me 10-15mts to install. You can either use material skin plugin within LMS or use IPENG (available for iPhone/iPad). I alternate between material skin and IPENG on my IPAD. During the set up, I just gave my Qobuz credentials in LMS. Once the setting is done, I see my picoreplayer in IPENG app on my IPAD/Iphone. Then I can select Qobuz app and I can access everything. I just press play and the RPI4 will play my music into my speaker via Topping D10s.

Am very happy with the sound quality.

ok so I’ve tried pCP/LMS/material skin and it’s actually very nice on ios.. just that white barre on homebuttonless iphones that won’t disappear and hide a bit the bottom of the app.
Also, it’s pitty not being able to add albums into favorite for tidal/qobuz.

anyway, thanks for this solution which is so much cheaper than roon or volumio

Attachments

• 7378D0C6-0214-4A47-9F6A-FB810CE40ABB.png
    7378D0C6-0214-4A47-9F6A-FB810CE40ABB.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 224

Sprint

Forum Donor
ok so I’ve tried pCP/LMS/material skin and it’s actually very nice on ios.. just that white barre on homebuttonless iphones that won’t disappear and hide a bit the bottom of the app.
Also, it’s pitty not being able to add albums into favorite for tidal/qobuz.

anyway, thanks for this solution which is so much cheaper than roon or volumio

Nice to know that it worked for you as well. I agree that one cannot add albums to favourites or at least I haven't figured it out yet. But then I go to the standard Qobuz app to add albums. Immediately it is then shown in LMS/material skin and iPENG.

OP
H

hugo86e

Nice to know that it worked for you as well. I agree that one cannot add albums to favourites or at least I haven't figured it out yet. But then I go to the standard Qobuz app to add albums. Immediately it is then shown in LMS/material skin and iPENG.

I also tried iPeng; $9 is still much cheaper than roon or volumio to have a go with :) It is also nice, actually nicely designed for ios, but missing information in my opinion. Audio quality and sample rate for example? Can’t find a way to display it.
I agree that one has to use qobuz app to add favorites; it does immediately update in the qobuz section of MS/iPeng but not in the ‘my music - new releases’ (that combines both tidal and qobuz. One must push the app to refresh somewhere in the settings

Mindhead1

I also tried iPeng; $9 is still much cheaper than roon or volumio to have a go with :) It is also nice, actually nicely designed for ios, but missing information in my opinion. Audio quality and sample rate for example? Can’t find a way to display it.
I agree that one has to use qobuz app to add favorites; it does immediately update in the qobuz section of MS/iPeng but not in the ‘my music - new releases’ (that combines both tidal and qobuz. One must push the app to refresh somewhere in the settings

Interesting to hear about the MS/iPeng lack of ability to add Qobuz favorites directly from those UIs. I was thinking of switching from MoOde to PiCorpPlayer and giving those a try. However, I may just stick with mConnect and MoOde since I’m able to manage favorites from within the app.

The mConnect interface is a bit clunky, but useable once you learn it. My biggest issue with mConnect is the battery suck it puts on my iPad. If I leave the app connected to my RPi for UpNP it keeps an active connection and drains my battery relatively quickly. The app doesn’t seem to have a Stand By or Sleep mode. As long as I remember to switch source from MoOde UpNP to iPad when I’m finished listening things are ok.

Foxenfurter

I also use LMS and Pi with picore player. My LMS is installed on a small headless win 10 box. I have managed to get Inguz DSP working vs Qobuz which is nice. I would definitely recommend starting out with pi 4 and full picoreplayer install if I was starting out you could then add extra devices and have a whole house system if that is something that interests you.

Top Bottom