• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The DIY Sony VFET Amplifier

• Thread starter Deleted member 65
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 65

”As part of Nelson Pass celebrating 20 years at diyAudio (and his jab!) he's just published a new article, the DIY Sony VFET Part 1. What's more, thanks to his boundless generosity the diyAudio Store has 180 DIY Sony VFET stereo amplifier kits (including the VFETs!) being readied to go out to some very lucky diyAudio members.”

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Let’s all join the lottery and send one to @amirm to be measured!

gvl

Major Contributor
Let's not.

sonyvftet.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I remember DIYaudio back in the day, pretty much when we were on dialup. It wasn't such a guru worshipping place back then. It's a bit sad. I reckon if certain gurus farted in a bottle and offered it as a room deodorizer, the congregation would line up for it.

What's particularly sad is DIY Audio guys pulling the VFETs out of Sony's classic 1970s integrated amplifiers to make these primitive and poor performing monstrosities.

What's next? Someone "discovers" the amazing Hitachi MOSFETs from the late 1970s and everyone in the DIY community starts gutting Halfers, Perreauxs etc to make these toys.

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Maybe a not so good amp, however cause is good.

”This limited production of kits is being offered at-cost by Nelson and diyAudio to say thank you for everyone's participation and contributions to the diyAudio community over the last 20 years. It is expected a small profit will be made, 100% of which will be donated and split between the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and the Prostate Cancer Foundation.”

gvl

Major Contributor
The ones I posted are from NP himself, I see no reason to suspect they are so pessimistic.

OP
D

Deleted member 65

The ones I posted are from NP himself, I see no reason to suspect they are so pessimistic.

So are the ones I posted, from Pass Sony VFET amp doc. Guess reality is somewhere in between ... ;-)

gvl

Major Contributor
So are the ones I posted, from Pass Sony VFET amp doc. Guess reality is somewhere in between ... ;-)

100+W from a 36V SMPS into 8 ohm is not very likely. So I don't know what your graphs are for. Mine is what NP posted on the DIY thread for this amp, and they seem realistic.

ta240

Major Contributor
I believe the "sony vfet" amp referred to in LarsS charts are a completely different amplifier. He's had several Vfet amps under the first watt name and was involved in building a powerful anniversary VFET amp for Sony in the past.

I remember DIYaudio back in the day, pretty much when we were on dialup. It wasn't such a guru worshipping place back then. It's a bit sad....

It does make it hard to know what DIY amps from their store are good when they are all "amazing", even the ones designed to be cheap and easy. There was a guy in the past that posted an 'improved' design for the amp camp amp and I think he went missing IRL soon after that...

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
Let’s all join the lottery and send one to @amirm to be measured!

And this, to me, is why this forum gets its reputation that so much time is spent denying.

Nelson Pass is completely up-front with the measurements of his amps.

He never hides behind saying the amps 'reveal things', he just says that some people like the way they sound and those people find his amps enjoyable to listen to for long periods.

Buying it would have nothing to do with seeing if a manufacture was exaggerating their performance claims or making completely false claims or ignoring design faults. It would be all about tearing down a product that is upfront about exactly what it is and the people that enjoy that product.

"Lets buy this amp that clearly admits what it's measurements will be and then high five each other over how 'bad' it is by our standards and how stupid the people that listen to it are."

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Horrible as always. But he is a clever marketing guy and I believe it would be fun to have a beer with him ;).

I will attest that having wine with him is extremely fun.

I personally come down on @ta240 's take- it is sold for what it is, entertainment, not SOTA performance.

jkasch

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is this hobby mainly a male's hobby ? :rolleyes:
Well, we frequently see men's sports teams wearing pink shoes and ribbons in support of breast cancer awareness. So I'm guessing that's not necessarily the case.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, we frequently see men's sports teams wearing pink shoes and ribbons in support of breast cancer awareness. So I'm guessing that's not necessarily the case.

?
Well then the donation should support breast cancer too.
Not sure if you got my post's #8 reason or I misunderstand your post .

jkasch

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
?
Well then the donation should support breast cancer too.
Not sure if you got my post's #8 reason or I misunderstand your post .
I thought (mistakenly?) you were implying the donations were going to a male cancer because most audio DIY'ers were male. I was attempting to say the sex of participants in an endeavor don't necessarily dictate the sex of those receiving support. I may have misunderstood. :)

gvl

Major Contributor
It is a good looking enclosure. I confess to having the itch...

Top Bottom