• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

antony.h

I need pre-amp feature to push my Adam T5V active monitors. I'm using my Korg DAC XLR output to drive them directly. Not quite loud enough. I have to use almost 90% volume most of the time. And I'm using JDS Atom to drive my headphones. It can just sufficient power enough to drive Fostex T60RP planar headphones. It drives my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro and DT1990 well.

I'm now considering to get Gustard X16 + Topping A90 combo. Or Topping D30Pro + Topping A90.

usern

With D30pro + A30pro you will have preamp functionality from D30pro if you switch off A30pro (it will pass through the D30pro XLR signal to speakers). A30pro 6W @ 16 ohm, A90 7.6W @ 16 ohm only with balanced connection.

antony.h

With D30pro + A30pro you will have preamp functionality from D30pro if you switch off A30pro (it will pass through the D30pro XLR signal to speakers). A30pro 6W @ 16 ohm, A90 7.6W @ 16 ohm only with balanced connection.

Thanks! But the A30Pro only performs as a bypass from the D30Pro. If I switch the input source to RCA on the A30Pro, it will not have output singal on XLR?

antony.h

Sorry, I'm a noob.

In what kind of input/output connection does the ground lift feature actually solve for?

I will have to use the 1/4 balanced out to drive my active monitors. But I need to use the inputs from both RCA or XLR. To be better, I could use the volume control on the amp for my speakers.

What is the benefit to have the

Would D30Pro+A30Pro stack do the same job as Gustard X16+A90 for me?

• I don't need MQA.
  • I don't really need bluetooth input, I think...

• I need to drive my active monitors by balanced out.
  • I need to drive my headphones including planar headphones. (Impedance: 50 Ohm | Sensitivity: 92 dB)
  • I need to use both balanced and unbalanced inputs.

And sorry for one more question. What is the benefit for having a full balanced set for me?

VariousArtists

Received the D30Pro+A30Pro combo in the mail today (from Shenzhen Audio) - the build quality is top notch, much better than I expected. I think it's a good idea that they integrated the power supply into the unit, fewer moving parts and the extra heft makes the units feel nice and sturdy. The only negative for me is that the power cables are a bit short (I think they are 1-1.2m)

In terms of sound I couldn't tell any difference from my other gears (RME ADI-2 DAC and JDS Element II) and that's a good thing.

rawrJ

Received the D30Pro+A30Pro combo in the mail today (from Shenzhen Audio) - the build quality is top notch, much better than I expected. I think it's a good idea that they integrated the power supply into the unit, fewer moving parts and the extra heft makes the units feel nice and sturdy. The only negative for me is that the power cables are a bit short (I think they are 1-1.2m)

In terms of sound I couldn't tell any difference from my other gears (RME ADI-2 DAC and JDS Element II) and that's a good thing.

Damn, guess I should have ordered through Shenzhen. I went with Apos and so far I only have the d30 pro, and no shipping info on the a30 yet :(

Noodles

I got my A30 pro today and it's ... interesting.
- It gets warm, like .... warm. A90's case barely does. Good thing they drilled some holes in the chassis right ?
- Fits well on top of my RME ADI-2 DAC with some space at the sides (but depth is spot on).
- There is no difference between balanced and unbalanced from what i can hear.
- Medium gain compared to the A90 is lower. I drive my Focals at around 10AM on the A90, with the A30 pro it's around 13h
- The gain levels are quite substantial -/+14dB ... Which plays very well for IEM's and very hard to drive cans... but for stuff in the middle not so much. -- For example i get my A90 on low gain and can play around on the pot with the focals and i do get very good sound levels. Now i switch to the A30pro and on low gain its anemic. You really need to push medium gain over 12 o'clock to get them singing.
It's a minor gripe for me, but the gain swings should have been a bit more gradual i think.

The size is great, honestly. I wish all topping products were this small. The amplification quality is the same as the A90 - did an A/B and i can't tell them apart.
Since i don't need the preamp function of the A90 - the A30 Pro will be replacing it and slightly decluttering my desk.

For those who wonder how it actually looks :)
IMG_3481.jpg

Last edited:

VariousArtists

- It gets warm, like .... warm. A90's case barely does. Good thing they drilled some holes in the chassis right ?
I wonder if we are supposed to manually switch it off when it's not in use, otherwise it will just stay warm? The manual doesn't have any recommendation on this and the Auto stand-by feature of the D30 Pro doesn't seem to affect the A30 Pro.

dpippel

- Fits well on top of my RME ADI-2 DAC with some space at the sides (but depth is spot on).
- Medium gain compared to the A90 is lower. I drive my Focals at around 10AM on the A90, with the A30 pro it's around 13h
- The gain levels are quite substantial -/+14dB ... Which plays very well for IEM's and very hard to drive cans... but for stuff in the middle not so much. -- For example i get my A90 on low gain and can play around on the pot with the focals and i do get very good sound levels. Now i switch to the A30pro and on low gain its anemic. You really need to push medium gain over 12 o'clock to get them singing.
It's a minor gripe for me, but the gain swings should have been a bit more gradual i think.

The size is great, honestly. I wish all topping products were this small. The amplification quality is the same as the A90 - did an A/B and i can't tell them apart.
Since i don't need the preamp function of the A90 - the A30 Pro will be replacing it and slightly decluttering my desk.

View attachment 121048

I see you're listening to the Tron Legacy Daft Punk soundtrack. Dios mio, man.

Noodles

I wonder if we are supposed to manually switch it off when it's not in use, otherwise it will just stay warm? The manual doesn't have any recommendation on this and the Auto stand-by feature of the D30 Pro doesn't seem to affect the A30 Pro.
I don't keep my amps switched on most times (only the RME is on all year round). There is no auto standby on the a30pro as you know, so just flick that switch :)
It does stay warm otherwise yes.
I see you're listening to the Tron Legacy Daft Punk soundtrack. Dios mio, man.
Screenshot 2021-03-30 002145.png

Veri

Master Contributor
Yeah a fair remark. It's all so that the people who think infinite headroom is necessary can turn on the +12dB high gain and drive whatever headphone out there.

Atrox

View attachment 121048
How is the volume potentiometer? I am curious if the use a proper ALPS potentiometer or if they use some cheap sh*t that gets scratchy after 3 months.

Noodles

How is the volume potentiometer? I am curious if the use a proper ALPS potentiometer or if they use some cheap sh*t that gets scratchy after 3 months.
Not scratchy, fairly smooth but nothing special. For the price i think it's more than fine.

VariousArtists

A small issue came to light today, there is audible coil whine inside the chassis, possibly from the integrated power supply. It is even there when the device is in standby but goes away when I switch it off from the back. It is not loud (can’t hear with headphones on) but annoying enough when it’s quiet at night.

Now I have experienced my fair share of coil whines from PSUs in computers - it’s usually caused by a mixture of bad luck with a particular power supply and poor electrical wiring in my house. I have noticed similar but lower pitched whines from the power adapters for my other amps but they sit much further away on the floor.

I suppose this is a disadvantage of integrated power supplies if you place them on the desk.

khark

A small issue came to light today, there is audible coil whine inside the chassis, possibly from the integrated power supply. It is even there when the device is in standby but goes away when I switch it off from the back. It is not loud (can’t hear with headphones on) but annoying enough when it’s quiet at night.

Now I have experienced my fair share of coil whines from PSUs in computers - it’s usually caused by a mixture of bad luck with a particular power supply and poor electrical wiring in my house. I have noticed similar but lower pitched whines from the power adapters for my other amps but they sit much further away on the floor.

I suppose this is a disadvantage of integrated power supplies if you place them on the desk.

Does the coil whine come from the A30 pro or the D30 pro (or both)? This might end being a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

Fernando

Forum Donor
...........The size is great, honestly. I wish all topping products were this small. The amplification quality is the same as the A90 - did an A/B and i can't tell them apart.

I understand that A30Pro is also a preamp.

Top Bottom