• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's funny about education, though. I guess that factual information resides in one area of the brain, and beliefs unfounded by any kind of factual evidence resides somewhere else in there. In a lot of people, never the twain shall meet, and highly educated people can fall for woo, so long as it's not in their area of expertise, which would allow them to recognize it as such.

I think a person can have several "logic safe" compartment in his psyche and believe in several mutually exclusive things at the same time .
As a person I try to break those walls when i can see them .

Like when you see smoking nurses and doctors outside the hospital parking lot , did they understand medical school ? They may be professionally able to perform medical procedures like a cake recipe and it will work , but do they understand it ?

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A speaker stand that watches you and adjusts height and/or angle in real time to keep you on axis with the tweeters. The kids would love it!

egellings

Major Contributor
Problem with smoking is that it is a hard to break addiction. If the medical personnel started smoking before they started their careers, I can see the sort of a jam they're in. Cocaine tooters have an easier time breaking their habit than smokers do.

Speedskater

Major Contributor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Problem with smoking is that it is a hard to break addiction. If the medical personnel started smoking before they started their careers, I can see the sort of a jam they're in. Cocaine tooters have an easier time breaking their habit than smokers do.
I work in the medical field and it is shocking how many nurses in particular still smoke. It baffles me. They treat hypoxic patients on several liters of 02 who freely admit smoking caused most of their issues but go outside on break (in the few remaining facilities that allow smoking at all on their property) and light up. Then come in and say they're gonna quit-soon. Quite a disconnect for sure.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Old school indeed, and highly regarded. Thanks for the info... wonder if it available in the US?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We have so many threads alike already.
Anybody knows the Shakti brick ?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...k-amazing-german-technology.17351/post-562215
I do. I never believed in these but some friends did but one found out :rolleyes:, that they made his tube-based system sound harsh .. He preferred the sound of the Harmonix Combat dots (equally stupid dots costing a lot of money, too) .. True story.
As you can tell, I was on the other side and, for a very long time :facepalm:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Anybody knows the Shakti brick ?
I have one. Given to me many years ago. I find it useful to put on top of tinny electronics enclosures or to stabilise a disconnected top so that it doesn't vibrate. Other stuff would do as well but, heck, I have this anyway.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I have you all beat: Speaker cable $26,000

My local stereo shop sells it also.

This is an heirloom quality cable with a noise floor so low that goose bumps, tears and magical moments from the past come alive.

https://analysis.plus/product/gold-oval-speaker-cables/

https://federalstereo.com/shop/ols/products/analysis-plus-purple-plus-usb-a-type-to-b-type-10m

Well checking out ovals offering they have the usual trick at the lower end offering their cheapest cables in a relatively small cross section . There they are happy to manipulate the only factor that clearly does something in speaker wires ;)

And with the very high prices botique wiring fetches you would think wire gauge is not a thing ? but their greed persists and the markup shall be enormous .

And also deliberatly handicapp the lower end products to make the expensive ones look good .

Audioquest does this trick in powercables .
The only real things you can possible do to "improve" a powercable in some sense at all is to twist the wires and put a screen on it, it does something (note I don't say it's audible in any way normally ).
But you have to get several tiers up their product ladder before such basic things appear :facepalm:

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
More BS
- Squash balls under your separates

Using squash balls to decouple vibrating speaker cabinets or turntables isn't that dumb, right? I mean, they're super cheap. It seems like an innocent enough tweak, especially if you have a wooden floor or wooden furniture you don't want reverberating. Now if they were charging $1000 for a pair of audiophile squash balls.... :p

Last edited:

Loathecliff

Using squash balls to decouple vibrating speaker cabinets or turntables isn't that dumb, right? I mean, they're super cheap. It seems like an innocent enough tweak, especially if you have a wooden floor or wooden furniture you don't want reverberating. Now if they were charing $1000 for a pair of audiophile squash balls.... :p

Brand name tennis balls, sellotape rolls to locate them, and thick planks were deemed necessary to decouple my Quad ESLs 25 years ago.
These days I would have had to add an esoteric badge to the planks.
Burnt into the wood? A solid silver plaque? (numbered)… It's not BS I tell you! It stimulates the neurons to travel to wider horizons.

Last edited:

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Burnt into the wood? A solid silver plaque? (numbered)… It's not BS I tell you! It stimulates the neurons to travel to wider horizons.

Polished slate cut with water jets, by Mennonites - anyone?

Robin L

Master Contributor
“April 1st: This is the day upon which we are reminded of what we are on the other three hundred and sixty-four.”
— Mark Twain, /Pudd’n Head Wilson/

148303669_3722854674467890_5090598155524680010_n.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
Michael Carbonaro says the same thing
With these internet memes, it's a three-way race to determine what fooled us first:
R0178f2c9593c7d838c481f9c057cacbc.jpg

Top Bottom