• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom Amp not working as a pre-amp and concerns about another

SeaIs

Recently I tried to use my JDS Labs Atom Amp as a preamp for the power amp in my living room, which is an old Mitsubishi DA-A10DC, just to test it. I connected the amp's input into the pre-out into the Atom, and then a phono stage into the Atom's RCA input. Upon assuring that everything is on and trying to play a record - No sound occurred through the speakers. No matter how I turned the volume up on the Atom, it was just dead. Then I tried the same thing with a DAC instead of a phono stage - same result.
Plugging the power amp back to its designated pre-amp, a Mitsubishi DA-P20, things went back to normal, everything functioned normally and the speakers worked. Also notable to say that with another speaker amp's pre-outs, the Advance Acoustic MAP-105, it works. I was thinking of buying and using a Gustard H16 as a pre-amp for this system, but I am concerned it would not work like the Atom did not work.

1. Does anyone know why the Atom can't function as a pre-amp for the Mitsubishi power amp?
2. Should there be any similar problems with the Gustard H16?
Thanks in advance.

Info about the rest of the system:
Speakers: Infinity Kappa 8
Phono stage: AVM P30
Turntable: Technics SL-10
DAC: Cambridge Audio DacMagic

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Recently I tried to use my JDS Labs Atom Amp as a preamp for the power amp in my living room, which is an old Mitsubishi DA-A10DC, just to test it. I connected the amp's input into the pre-out into the Atom, and then a phono stage into the Atom's RCA input. Upon assuring that everything is on and trying to play a record - No sound occurred through the speakers. No matter how I turned the volume up on the Atom, it was just dead. Then I tried the same thing with a DAC instead of a phono stage - same result.
Plugging the power amp back to its designated pre-amp, a Mitsubishi DA-P20, things went back to normal, everything functioned normally and the speakers worked. Also notable to say that with another speaker amp's pre-outs, the Advance Acoustic MAP-105, it works. I was thinking of buying and using a Gustard H16 as a pre-amp for this system, but I am concerned it would not work like the Atom did not work.

1. Does anyone know why the Atom can't function as a pre-amp for the Mitsubishi power amp?
2. Should there be any similar problems with the Gustard H16?
Thanks in advance.

Info about the rest of the system:
Speakers: Infinity Kappa 8
Phono stage: AVM P30
Turntable: Technics SL-10
DAC: Cambridge Audio DacMagic
You did push the input select to the live input? Not selected the 3.5mm rear input by mistake? Disconnected headphones as there is no output selection and I think pre amp only goes out if nothing plugged in the front.

With the same set up- did you get anything out with the HP plugged in?

OP
S

SeaIs

You did push the input select to the live input? Not selected the 3.5mm rear input by mistake? Disconnected headphones as there is no output selection and I think pre amp only goes out if nothing plugged in the front.
I assured that the input select button was not pushed, meaning the RCA in was selected and not the 3.5mm in the back. There were no headphones or cable connected to the 1/4" in the front.
With the same set up- did you get anything out with the HP plugged in?
Admittedly I forgot to plug any headphones in while testing this so I can't answer.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I assured that the input select button was not pushed, meaning the RCA in was selected and not the 3.5mm in the back. There were no headphones or cable connected to the 1/4" in the front.

Admittedly I forgot to plug any headphones in while testing this so I can't answer.

If you had selected the right input then I dont think there is anything else short of a fault that should mean no signal out. But try headphones in whilst its all wired up again, if you get sound through them but not when 6.3mm output is empty then defo busted.

Top Bottom